6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Shimmies? Bad Struts? Please look here

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 08:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Shimmies? Bad Struts? Please look here

For those who have trouble free 6th gens Please stay out of this. For the rest of you who have been to the dealership many times with the shimmy's and/or bad struts with returning problems PLEASE read this!!!!

We really need to organize some people on the ORG and make Nissan responsible for the problems we are having. I am willing to do most of the leg work on this...but I really need more people willing to join in the fight. I have a couple of people already who have said enough is enough and they are willing to join me so that we can resolve these issues. However, I don't have a large enough "crowd" of people who are willing to organize and help fix this problem.

When situations like this arise one, two, ten... people simply aren't enough to make a big enough stink to a large corporation like Nissan. I am willing to organize us together so that we can finally get what we deserve for our hard earned money...a car that works like it should.

Currently I have had my struts replaced three times. This last time I was told that the 2005 model struts were installed. The paperwork I have confirms this. I was told these struts aren't supposed to fail. Some others on the ORG are reporting the same problems. The "2005" strut simply doesn't hold up. Two things are happening here. Nissan issued a "bogus" new part number to shut us up and is still using the old struts OR Nissan has released new struts and they are failing. This means there is a serious design flaw in the car that is causing struts to fail.

Now some of you may think this is not a big deal, but the reality is that it is a serious safety defect. I have yet to mention those people with the shimmy...here is your section. The shimmy problem is an even worse safety issue. If the steering wheel shimmies so much that it's almost hard to hold the wheel one cannot expect to really have the car under total control. This most certainly is a safety hazard.

I am worried that soon enough we will be reading in the papers, seeing in the news, and reading on the ORG about someone who had a serious accident because of one or both of these issues. If we can come together I know I will do my part to alert several safety agencies with all of our names and the list of safety issues we are having. I will also seek legal recourse if fellow ORG members are willing to write to me about in detail about their issues and how things have been handled.

Simply put I need to create a database of 6th gen owners with problems so that we can all approach Nissan and finally hold them liable. I have spent hard earned money on my max. I really expected more out of a flagship vehicle-So should you. Please help all of the individuals by PMing me or telling your story on this thread. That's really why the ORG is here. So we can unite and help each other out.

Let the flamers begin.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had my right front strut replaced yesterday after 3100 miles. The part number on the work order was the "new" part number. So far, my problems have gone away, but it has only been one day. I'll let you know if problems resurface. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help our cause.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:01 PM
2004 Smoke

Count me in. Let me know what I can do on the Canadian front. Identical car of course except for the running lights and sales packages. I completely resonate with your arguments. I still have very low mileage on mine, but already have the crappy interior plastics, the shimmy started recently (haven't had time yet to spend all the mental energy and time to start going into battle on this), the seats don't heat properly (pretty important to us Canucks), and I am fully expecting strut and tire failure soon.

I was the one that started creating the "things wrong with the Max" list - and can offer it up again.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:02 PM
2004 Smoke

Oh - and buy the way I paid $46,000+ (Canadian) for my max, including taxes. Not what I would expect to pay for a "flagship" damn near $50,000 car.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I had my struts replaced twice and i still cant get a feakin part number I am sick replacing my struts and wish Nissan would adress this issue. I hope that we can all get together and make our voice heard.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

count me in
Old 12-02-2004, 07:56 PM

Keep posting on here for now. The more people on here with the same problem the better our story will hold up if we make it as far as court...I want Nissan to see that this is not a small problem that they can sweep under the rug. Where are my shimmy people?
Old 12-02-2004, 10:12 PM

I'm down..seriously..I want nissan to know they F'd these cars up...
Old 12-03-2004, 08:46 AM

I've still got a minor to moderate shimmy after 20k miles. I've pretty much learned to live with it but still mention it at every oil change. So, I'll sign my name.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:39 AM

I had my right front srut replaced too just a month ago after 3000+ miles. I had it replaced cos I started hearing a faint "thump" sound everytime I hit a pothole or a hump on the road. it's been a month and it seems it's doing fine. The dealership told me that if I would hear the "thump" again, I should bring the car in so that they will change the other struts. My dealership in Blytheville is really wonderful in terms of service.

I'll let u know if i'll have problems later on (which I sure hope i won't have...)
Old 12-03-2004, 12:34 PM

count me in, i have 21,000 miles bad shimmy and struts, had shimmy fixed for a week and it was back. had all 4 struts replaced and it did nothing, now they are squishing over bumps.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:13 PM

Count me in

I had my struts replaced at ~6500. They still don't sound right but not as bad as when the first set failed. I also get the shimmy but it is when I approach 75-80 miles per hour. I'm now at 9500 miles and thinking about going back in but am waiting for a better solution.

Thanks,

David
Old 12-03-2004, 02:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

can anybody pls tell me what exactly you guys mean when you say "shimmy"? is it the torque steer Ive been reading about in this forum? Thanks
Old 12-03-2004, 02:38 PM

The shimmy is a rather annoying wheel vibration and not torque steer. The torque steer is a result of having a very powerful engine. All FWD cars suffer from this-some more than others.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:19 PM

I just got my 04 Maxima today and I experienced no shimmy problems but have a serious strut problem...the front seems to make those thumping problems constantly even over small and tiny bumps/imperfection in the road...I will be going to a dealership to have this fixed.

On a side note - has anyone installed after-market struts that have successfully fixed the problem? I might be inclined to just do that instead of going back to the dealership time and time again.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:10 PM

On a side note - has anyone installed after-market struts that have successfully fixed the problem? I might be inclined to just do that instead of going back to the dealership time and time again.[/QUOTE]

My mechanic replaced one front strut and said that it had been re-engineered. That was about 3000 miles ago and the problem has not returned. Unless you have money to burn, why not let Nissan fix it? It's their responsibility.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:42 PM

I'm all in too. I brought it back twice, it was good for a week and now it's back again. I recently moved from NJ to Florida and now I'm having a FL dealership try to fix the problem this Tuesday 12/7. Ill let you know what happens. Can't wait to get rid of this thing, two more years on the lease.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:40 PM

I'm still waiting for my struts to come in and no one, even NISSAN can give an ETA. this has been ridiculous fixing these issues.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:17 AM

Count me in

I thought it had been fixed, then I came in for scheduled maint and mentioned car was pulling to the left. They told me one of the tires was bad - last year they replaced 2 other bad tires. They cross-rotated the front tires and car pulled to the right. I have my snows on now and the problem isn't so bad. They will replace the bad tire. But new one is on backorder. I've been waiting more than a month.

I've been in to the dealer countless times to fix this problem.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:05 PM

I have developing strut problems at 20K miles. Have not addressed it with Nissan, yet.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:11 PM

Douglas G. Betts, formerly general manager of Quality at Toyota’s Princeton, Ind., plants, is now vice president, Product Quality, effective Spet 13, 2004. I am going to try to figure out this guys email. Keep the posts coming. Where are all the shimmy people?
Old 12-06-2004, 01:47 PM

i just recently leased an 04 maxima. i did experience a very slight shimmy in the first week of driving. in addition to the shimmy, the car seemed to pull to the left a bit at times. i mentioned it to the dealer and they said they'd take a look. after bringing it in, they conveniently denied the fact that there was a shimmy or a pull. the service manager gave me some bs on how the tires need to develop a tread pattern over the next 3000 to 5000 kms. i have a little over 3000 kms on the car now and i'll take it back in for its first scheduled oil change and have them look into it again. hopefully, they'll fix or at least make an effort to fix the problem. if i keep getting the run around like you guys have, then for sure i'm on board with you guys. the shimmy is there when i go above 100kph (60mph), but as i said its very slight and its there sometimes and other times its not. so far there's no strut problems. i do love the car and everything that it offers, but if this kind of nuisance continues on with their flagship sedan, than i will do everything in my power to get nissan to fix their issues. i do live in toronto, canada so please let me know how i can help.

give me a few more months before my first scheduled oil change and at that time, if the dealership gives me some other bs, then i'm there guys.