6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

HeadLight question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 10:32 AM

HeadLight question

I have an '04 SE With the HID's. I noticed something recently with my passenger side headlight. On a dark road, looking at the passenger side beam, I can see sort of a dark line on an angle like this / in the beam. It's almost like there is something on the light itself but I don't see anything....I know it sounds dumb but it's botherin the heck out of me...sound stupid? Have any ideas?
Old 12-06-2004, 10:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Smoken'04
I have an '04 SE With the HID's. I noticed something recently with my passenger side headlight. On a dark road, looking at the passenger side beam, I can see sort of a dark line on an angle like this / in the beam. It's almost like there is something on the light itself but I don't see anything....I know it sounds dumb but it's botherin the heck out of me...sound stupid? Have any ideas?
That's intentional; turn the brights on high (when no one else is coming, or better yet point them at a wall or inside of you garage, etc) - you'll see that they both line up and there are no obstructions. They are designed like this so that the signs,etc, on the right side of the road will be illuminated more than the eyes of oncoming traffic on the left.

It took some getting used to the HIDs, but I *REALLY* love them and it would be next to impossible to go back to a car that didn't have HIDs now.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:52 AM

I think you might think that I am complaining about the alignment. Yes I do hate that but that's not the issue. I actually have a dark shadow on the passenger side beam. It really looks like there is something on the light in front of it or something but there isn't. The beam is perfectly flat and there is a shadow / in the beam...think of the horizon going straight across and having this line in the beam....lose you yet? lol
Old 12-06-2004, 11:35 AM

I think you might think that I am complaining about the alignment. Yes I do hate that but that's not the issue. I actually have a dark shadow on the passenger side beam. It really looks like there is something on the light in front of it or something but there isn't. The beam is perfectly flat and there is a shadow / in the beam...think of the horizon going straight across and having this line in the beam....lose you yet? lol
The light pattern put out by our HIDs is almost hexagonal... could this be "shadow /" be where the inside tops of the two hexagons meet?

Do you have a digital camera? If so, try taking a picture with the head lights pointed at a white wall.. I'm having a hard time understanding what you are seeing.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:50 AM

I'll have to try and get some pics. Not sure if I'll see it against a wall. I mostly see it on the road. When the weather clears up here in NJ, I'll take a couple. Thanks for trying to help though.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:58 AM

There is an electronic shutter inside of the lights to control the beam pattern. When you flip on the high beams you are raising the shutter. I am guessing this is what you are seeing. You can adjust these shutters...look on the org...there was a post on how to do it. My search is not working yet again.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:37 AM

I think I may have found my problem. On the passenger side headlight, if you look inside the housing and look at the actual light itself. There is a smudge on the lense. It may sound stupid but I THINK this may be my problem
Old 12-13-2004, 06:54 AM

I think I may have found my problem. On the passenger side headlight, if you look inside the housing and look at the actual light itself. There is a smudge on the lense. It may sound stupid but I THINK this may be my problem
Weird...If it is a smudge (or anything else that is causing your light output to be dimmed or blocked), take it to the dealer and have them fix it.