6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Front Passenger Seat

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 01:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Front Passenger Seat

I don't have too many people drive in my car aside from my GF so the passenger seat doesn't get moved around too much. I have noticed, though, that the seat back rest doesn't spring forward when you pull on the lever. In all my other cars you could knock yourself out cold at the rate the back rest would come up. Has anyone else noticed that the back rest is very slow to move and requires you to pull on it to raise it? Perhaps I need a new passenger seat. :-( Let me know so I can complain again to the dealer about more faulty stuff.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:45 PM

I dunno..mine's power
Old 12-13-2004, 04:31 PM

Sorry, I can't help - I have power seats too.

Although, I have another problem with my passenger seat... the seat back (or bottom?) is making a loud "popping" noise when I have a certain person riding with me... Does anyone else have this problem? I know that the driver's seat will do this (mine does it) - but I thought it had something to do with the lumbar support (which the passenger seat does not have). Does anyone know if there is a weight limit to passengers riding in the passenger seat (I know there is one for the entire car, but didn't know if there was one just for that seat...)?

Thanks (and sorry for the hijack).
Old 12-13-2004, 04:38 PM

The Max is a four door and requires only slight adjustments, not a full tilt to allow passengers to enter/exit, I think your refering to two doors. I'm also electric so what do I know.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:15 PM

I know what you mean. The passenger seat doesn't pop back up but my biggest problems is the driver seat the shifts when cornering. But no one has a TSB on it. My 2000 Pathfinder had the same problem. I thought they would fix it by now. Yes, I need to manually help the back of the passenger seat.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:40 PM

Mine pops back up, but not as fast as my 99. Have to pull on that lever all the way to its limit in order to do that. I don't mind it that way... it keeps people from adjusting it too much.

As for that popping sound, I think what you're hearing is the active restraint headrest "activating". It "activates" by blowing out an air bladder between the back of the seat and the headrest. In a rear end collision, the air bladder is blown, the headrest rails inside the seat move backward, the headrest pivots towards the occupant, and your neck is saved from whiplash. No worries though, the bladder fills back up.

More info here: http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/SAFE...TION/HEADREST/

I get the same results consistently if I, literally, jump into the seat.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by msoemax
I have noticed, though, that the seat back rest doesn't spring forward when you pull on the lever. In all my other cars you could knock yourself out cold at the rate the back rest would come up. Has anyone else noticed that the back rest is very slow to move and requires you to pull on it to raise it? Perhaps I need a new passenger seat. :-( Let me know so I can complain again to the dealer about more faulty stuff.
My wife agrees. In our previous GM-built car the seat back hit you when it was coming up. The Max needs help to come up. We don't move it that much and will probably not complain to the dealer.

This has nothing to do with 2-door vs 4-door cars. This refers to the recline feature for the passenger front seat. The instructions say not to travel with this seat back reclined -- but it is the best way to take a nap on a long trip. Just don't have an accident as the seat belts don't work properly when the back is reclined.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:31 AM
Banned

If you notice, the MAX doesn't utilize "spring motion" for any of its features. Like the tilt wheel... I have to physically push it up to get in/out of the car. The passenger side seat, I have to physically pull it up from the reclined position. I believe in an upscale car such as the MAX, they intended it to be this way. Reason is probably two-fold...

1) Prevents less banging around that will insue breakage after a period of time...

2) This "quiet" mode allows for one to adjust the setting to exactly where he/she wants to be w/o all the "drama"...

Do you kinda get it? Or do I need to explain further?
Old 12-14-2004, 09:43 AM

I understand what you are talking about, but it's rather annoying that a $30k car doesn't have a seat that will raise in a nice manner. I think it's cheap that I have to assist the back rest to move up. I shouldn't have to do this!!! I would expect simple things like this to work in a "flagship" vehicle. IMO there should be a little more spring tension to pull up the seat nicely and quiet.