6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Full Sized Spare

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 09:11 AM

Full Sized Spare

Ok, I just had my first flat, and the tire is being replaced, so I decided to buy a new wheel and will get another tire so I can have a full sized spare.

How is the full size strapped down? I know how the donut is held in place with the center mount and then the styrofoam spacer.

Is there another spacer? Does the Nissan emblem pop out?

Actually, if someone had a picture of it....
Old 12-15-2004, 08:52 AM

my full sized spare that came with the car
does not have a nissan emblem...

not really answering your q, but i thought
about the same thing when i was checking
out the full sized spare.

i will post up pics tonite, if no one else does
Old 12-15-2004, 08:54 AM

So how does it hold it down? a screw down throught the center where the emblem should be?
Old 12-15-2004, 05:48 PM
*moderator*

I was wondering the same thing, I replaced my bicycle tire with one of the stock wheels and there's no way to strap it in...
Maybe once we see pics of the stock full size it will make sense, I would have assumed that it was just a stock OEM wheel but maybe not?
Old 12-15-2004, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
I was wondering the same thing, I replaced my bicycle tire with one of the stock wheels and there's no way to strap it in...
Maybe once we see pics of the stock full size it will make sense, I would have assumed that it was just a stock OEM wheel but maybe not?

Hehehe, hey jsmithsole, what happens to us 20" guys that get a flat though, I doubt the spare will do us any good. Especially on the front. Has anyone ever brought that up before.....I never thought about it until now. Seems if I get a flat, I am out of luck, awaiting a tow truck. Also, just thought....how many places carry a spare 20" tire late at night if I do get a blow out. Never checked the diameter of the spare but imagine it will we a bit smaller than the dia of the 20" rims and tire....now, if it is a front blow out.....one smaller rim on one side and 20" on the other......trans problems with the FWD and probable damage. Glad I just read this. Anyone with 20" rims wonder what will happen if they blow a front tire and if the spare will work or spin the differential to hell?

Oh, and far as the spare, I imagine it is held in place by a simple wing nut that spins on and off like most, never lifted the carpet in the rear. Every other car including my BMW had the spare tightened by a simple wing nut and j bolt. Guess I should just pull up the carpet in the rear and look. IF the spare will not work with 20"......guess the spare is getting removed and I have to get something to replace if.....if it will fit.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:09 PM
*moderator*

Andymax95 wrote in another thread:
"...a 245/35/20 tire will match to the stock wheel size, which i believe is 26.7", but with the 255/35/20 you will have an overall wheel height of 27". 3/10 of an inch isn't much..."

I got a flat 2 hours from my house, I drove all the way home with my stock wheel on the rear left. I assume since it's the same diameter, I wouldn't have any problems. I didn't at least as far as I know, that was like a month ago...
Old 12-15-2004, 08:27 PM

So anyone who actually has a full sized stock spare, how is it held down?
Old 12-15-2004, 10:12 PM

sorry guys, when i say evening, it means a little later than your time...

anyways, here are the pics...lmk if you want some explanation, but pretty self explanatory...i never tried to pop out the nissan emblem...
(scroll to the bottom)

mikenatas.cjb.net

btw- jsmithsole is correct about the same/similar diameter...if you want to really look like you are wasting money, buy a 20" rim and stick it into your spare well...i am waiting to 'curb' one of my rims, then i will get a new one and stick the 'curbed' rim into the spare well...