6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Goodyear Tire Story

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 01:34 PM

Goodyear Tire Story

After going in armed with print outs from this awesome website I was able to get Goodyear to give me a refund of $196.15 per tire on the crap RAS's that had 26.980 miles and about 5/10 tread left. The place where I ended up buying my new tires from was awesome to work with, he really went to bat for me on the phone with the Goodyear folks.

The only question is I ended up buying some Michelin Piolt MXM 4's because I read on here last night that the Piolts were good shoes. After the fact I got on tirerack.com and see that the reviews from others are not so great. Does anyone have these tires who can give me some feedback? They had to order them so it will be a week or so before they come in so I could always change to something else. I do a lot of driving being in Sales so tread life is more important than being able to take curves at 125 (getting old I know).

By the way the price per tire ended up being like $219.00 each before my Goodyear discounts.

Thanks to all for the help in this, ended up saving me a bundle!
Old 12-14-2004, 03:26 PM

No thoughts on the Michelins?
Old 12-14-2004, 03:29 PM

How many of your tires were cut?
Old 12-14-2004, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by SSurfer
How many of your tires were cut?
The two in front are very bad, almost gouged. The other two have pretty good cuts, just not as bad. The only thing is the other tires will not be in for about a week - I have to be very careful driving around.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:10 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

damn I still got the RSAs got to keep an eye on them then.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:35 PM
SuPeRmOd

rotating this week for first time. sorta catch 22 huh? nothing on oustide, but if I find slashes I can get the PZero Neros I want (hopefully I can get a good deal but will still have to find $$) or I'm "safe" and have to put up with these until they're done.

Please Goodyear/Nissan recall... pretty please?????
Old 12-14-2004, 06:08 PM

Until my last car got totaled I put two sets of Michelin Pilot's on it. I loved them and they lasted 55,000 miles. Michelin's treadwear is excellent as well as their traction. I would chose Michelin over Goodyear and BFGoodrich. Some of the Japanese tires are good too. Research it a bit.

I hope these Goodyears on my car don't give me any problem.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sales Guru
The only question is I ended up buying some Michelin Piolt MXM 4's because I read on here last night that the Piolts were good shoes. After the fact I got on tirerack.com and see that the reviews from others are not so great. Does anyone have these tires who can give me some feedback?
When I last looked at what tire to buy when I replace the Goodyears next year, I came up with the following 3 to consider:

- Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S
- Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
- Dunlop SP Sport 9000

Of the three the Michelin seems to be the best tire. So I asked a buddy in the auto industry who did some tire testing in the snow last year in Canada. Here are his comments:

"Based upon what I have seen or tested I would go with the tires in this order Michelin, Pirelli, then Dunlop. I am no big fan of the French either but that particular Michelin is a great tire."

This guy should know, so I will hold my nose (the French) and buy Michelins when I re-shoe.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:41 PM

Pirelli is a great tire, but they are soft and their treadwear is awful. Michelin baby! Kind of wish my new Max came with them or at least Continentals or something. This goodyear stuff is scaring me!
Old 12-15-2004, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by NIKV69
Until my last car got totaled I put two sets of Michelin Pilot's on it. I loved them and they lasted 55,000 miles. Michelin's treadwear is excellent as well as their traction. I would chose Michelin over Goodyear and BFGoodrich. Some of the Japanese tires are good too. Research it a bit.

Sounds like the Michs are the way to go, but I did not get the Mich Pilot Sports, wonder if there really is a big difference??????
Old 12-15-2004, 02:38 AM

Which Michelins did you have?
Old 12-15-2004, 04:14 AM

I had the Pilot XGTs on my last car. Here is the link.

http://www.michelinman.com/catalog/t...ilotXGTH4.html

If you want get the Z rated ones but you lost some treadwear. I had the the H4s and never had a problem. I didn't go over 100mph so I loved those tires! Wish I had them now!
Old 12-15-2004, 09:18 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you want get the Z rated ones but you lost some treadwear. I had the the H4s and never had a problem. I didn't go over 100mph so I loved those tires! Wish I had them now!
I used to have XGT V4's. I loved those tires.

Bob
Old 12-15-2004, 09:25 AM

I have the MXM4's on my BMW 540i. I am not crazy about them because they seem to hydroplane like crazy. Now, I know that's partly the fault of the Beemer's almost 50/50 weight distribution making it rotate too easily, but for a 4,000-lb. car to waterski everytime I hit a puddle of any size above 55 is ridiculous.

As for ride quality, quietness and treadwear they are great. I have about 26,000 on this set and they look like they did when the car was delivered. They're excellent tires, and with the Maxima's heavier nose, I'd think they would serve you well.

Mike
Old 12-15-2004, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I have the MXM4's on my BMW 540i. I am not crazy about them because they seem to hydroplane like crazy. Now, I know that's partly the fault of the Beemer's almost 50/50 weight distribution making it rotate too easily, but for a 4,000-lb. car to waterski everytime I hit a puddle of any size above 55 is ridiculous.

As for ride quality, quietness and treadwear they are great. I have about 26,000 on this set and they look like they did when the car was delivered. They're excellent tires, and with the Maxima's heavier nose, I'd think they would serve you well.

Mike
Allright now I am really confused, I am starting to think it boils a lot down to personal preference in driving style and the type of veichle that you have them on. I may just stick with the MXM4's and stop worrying about it.

Thanks for all of the input from everyone though!
Old 12-15-2004, 10:26 AM

This whole thread has been helpful for me because I will be replacing the OE Goodyear tires next year. Thanks for this link. I have decided on a Michelin tire, and this helps understand their thinking on their different tires. By going there I find that Michelin does not make the XGTH4 (your tire of choice) in the size we need if we keep the same size tire on our SE (P245/45R18). It also shows that the Sport A/S has 1/32 more thead depth than the MXM4 on this size tire. However the Sport A/S will undoubtedly cost more while showing faster tread wear (based on discussion here and on the Michelin site) than the MXM4. I will probably go with the Sport, but that has not been completely decided, yet.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:20 PM

SilverBelle04,

Oh yea Bob! (Michelin Man)

Those tires are the BEST! I got caught in the worst rain storm driving through PA and OH on my way to NV last December, freezing rain almost. I was doing 70 and those tires were GRIPPING. A friend of mine in the car told me after we stopped for the night in Terre Haute, IN that he was ****ting his pants. No problem for the Michelin Man. They are something. Not to mention they last almost 60,000 miles! Once this Crap Goodyear rubber on my car is worn they are going BYE BYE