6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Climate Control

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 05:09 PM

Climate Control

I don't know if this is supposed to happen, but when i have the auto climate control on (set at 78 degrees) the car only blows air to the feet. Is this supposed to happen? my friend said its becuase heat rises but he was just bsing and my hands are freezing in the morning.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:51 PM

The auto setting in most vehicles directs heated air through the floor ducts, as the coldest air in any vehicle tends to be near the floor. The heated air will naturally rise, giving a decent distribution of heated air throughout the car.

Similarly, cooled air is usually directed through dash vents, as the hottest air tends to be near the roof. Since cold air sinks, this results in fairly balanced cooling throughout the car.

But we always have the option of overriding these duct settings.

One of the reasons I insisted on the driver preferred package is the heated steering wheel; gets toasty in half a minute.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
The auto setting in most vehicles directs heated air through the floor ducts, as the coldest air in any vehicle tends to be near the floor. The heated air will naturally rise, giving a decent distribution of heated air throughout the car.

Similarly, cooled air is usually directed through dash vents, as the hottest air tends to be near the roof. Since cold air sinks, this results in fairly balanced cooling throughout the car.

But we always have the option of overriding these duct settings.

One of the reasons I insisted on the driver preferred package is the heated steering wheel; gets toasty in half a minute.
I agree with light. I don't think I will ever buy another car without heating steering.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The heated steering wheel is addictive. It should come with a warning or something.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:11 PM

Heated steering Is Precious>>
Old 12-17-2004, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Joseph Zheng
I don't know if this is supposed to happen, but when i have the auto climate control on (set at 78 degrees) the car only blows air to the feet. Is this supposed to happen? my friend said its becuase heat rises but he was just bsing and my hands are freezing in the morning.
Turn the AC off, set the mode to under seat and front vents. Regardless, some have posted to keep the AC on. Heats better with the AC off, change your mode to where you want the flow to go. Been 27 degrees here last few days, I played with all the settings....keeping the AC on and just upping it on auto did not do much for me...it worked, but real slow. Now if you have dash fogging, different story. Hope this helps, I still do go against the AC on with heater thing if it is cold....and no fogging. I am in Mississippi and have humidity like nuts out here. Welcome the cold, but just keeping in on auto and truning up the temp, not worth a dang for me. Turn AC off, temp to about 78 like you said, change the mode, fan if you want.....will work. Just my experience.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:16 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

outo does that too, it will change the settings by itself... but just take outo off and set for your likings....
Old 12-17-2004, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
outo does that too, it will change the settings by itself... but just take outo off and set for your likings....
Auto does NOTHING for me as far as heat, keeps the AC on unless you disable the AC. I like to just turn auto off, crank up the heat, and change the mode. Hell, been cold here, working well for me.

Bad thing is though, this system works GREAT on auto with the AC....tuning the heater, trial and error and what works for me may not work for everyone. I can say that someone said leaving the AC on in the cold works....only for defogging the window....anything else...just cutting down the heat.

Anyone in cold areas got any advice for us? Any of your HVAC hints?
Old 12-19-2004, 12:25 AM

Well when I turn on my car the air doesn't start blowing until the car heats up. Then it heats up and blows to the feet. By then my **** and the heated seat warmed up my hand.