6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Maxima vs. Altima

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 12:50 PM

Maxima vs. Altima

Have just been noticing how alot of people are saying that the Altima and especailly the Altima SE-R are to close to taking down the Maxima. I to agree that these two cars are a little closer in size and hp than I would like, and hope that the next generation of Maxima will be differnetiated further away from the Altima/SE-R.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:07 PM

Close still means #2
Old 12-16-2004, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by NissanFreak2000
Have just been noticing how alot of people are saying that the Altima and especailly the Altima SE-R are to close to taking down the Maxima. I to agree that these two cars are a little closer in size and hp than I would like, and hope that the next generation of Maxima will be differnetiated further away from the Altima/SE-R.
They are much different to me. The Altima SE-R is really not all that it is cracked up to be also for the price. I do imagine that the next get Max will differentiate itself alot more from the Maxima as it currently does. I do not expect a major redesign for the Maxima until 07....but that is just my speculation. If the Infinity G35 changes drastic.....I bet a year later, the Maxima will as well, using some of the same stuff, but different look. Just my opinion here. SE-R is for a different crowd. If I was going for an Altima, I would have gotten a fully loaded one with Navi over the SE-R, than, I took my pretty much base Maxima over a loaded Altima....different strokes for different folks. Maxima just did something for me that the Altima did not, plus, the Altima tail lights are really my big turn off.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:07 PM

The 02+ Altima SE has been an alternative for the Max since 02 that is why in 02 Nissan Drastically cut production of the Max from that year onward. The Maxima has always been more refined/higher quality (much more for 02/03 vs 02/03 Altimas) and offered goodies not available on the Altima if you compare say 02 Maxima to 02 Altima: Available Nav,memory seats,heated steering wheel and much more.these items werent available on the Higest model Altima and the same goes for 05 Maxima vs 05 Altima.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
The 02+ Altima SE has been an alternative for the Max since 02 that is why in 02 Nissan Drastically cut production of the Max from that year onward. The Maxima has always been more refined/higher quality (much more for 02/03 vs 02/03 Altimas) and offered goodies not available on the Altima if you compare say 02 Maxima to 02 Altima: Available Nav,memory seats,heated steering wheel and much more.these items werent available on the Higest model Altima and the same goes for 05 Maxima vs 05 Altima.
Yes, but some of these options work for some people and do not for others. Myself, do not need a heated steering wheel, memory seats do not sell a car either. Believe it or not, I think the Maxima reputation sells to different buyers over the Altima. Now, if we are talking about the Maxima with the elite package....that is another option, but some Maxima buyers were not into that, even though a nice package, but price was not cheap, getting into some serious numbers with other cars. Really, a loaded Altima has some close options to a Maxima. Take mine for instance, cloth seats, no navi......I bought mine for the room and was a prior Maxima owner. I also traded in a loaded 97 BMW 328IC convert for my bone stock Maxima......sometimes buyers like me just like something and want a change or need more room.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by carcus
sometimes buyers like me just like something and want a change or need more room.

exactly. i traded in a fully loaded grand am GT1 for my base maxima. it was bigger and had a hell of a lot more *****. yeah it woulda been nice to have a car with more options but i got this max for $22,700 but i had to keep in mind the fact that i also had $5,000 left to pay on my GA. so the price went up to $28,300 witch was still under the sticker. i love this car way more than my GA and my GA had every option offered plus some extras that i put in.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jeffs04SE
exactly. i traded in a fully loaded grand am GT1 for my base maxima. it was bigger and had a hell of a lot more *****. yeah it woulda been nice to have a car with more options but i got this max for $22,700 but i had to keep in mind the fact that i also had $5,000 left to pay on my GA. so the price went up to $28,300 witch was still under the sticker. i love this car way more than my GA and my GA had every option offered plus some extras that i put in.
OH MAN!!!! You are in the same boat as me, was WAY upside down on the trade, I got mine for about 29K.....well, that was out the door when brand new, so I paid sticker for my 04. Still happy with it, but that is what happens on the trade in. Damn feels good to know someone out there was in the same position as me, had a nice car, with every option, even a convert.....pretty low miles, just needed a change, a bigger car.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by carcus
Yes, but some of these options work for some people and do not for others. Myself, do not need a heated steering wheel, memory seats do not sell a car either. Believe it or not, I think the Maxima reputation sells to different buyers over the Altima. Now, if we are talking about the Maxima with the elite package....that is another option, but some Maxima buyers were not into that, even though a nice package, but price was not cheap, getting into some serious numbers with other cars. Really, a loaded Altima has some close options to a Maxima. Take mine for instance, cloth seats, no navi......I bought mine for the room and was a prior Maxima owner. I also traded in a loaded 97 BMW 328IC convert for my bone stock Maxima......sometimes buyers like me just like something and want a change or need more room.
Yes I know, but if you compare your car to whats an equivalent in Altima your car will have more standard options vs the Altima. Yes the Max has a good reputation and the Altima is getting their, I was reading that the Maxima and Z have the srongest buyer loyalty at Nissan. Its very apparent here with many guys including myself having had many different Maximas. I'm like you I never buy that extra stuff, I prefer the basics with some creature comforts not all the bells and whistles like heated steering wheels etc.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:30 PM

Apples and oranges.

The Altima is marketed as an affordable 'car for the masses'. The Maxima is marketed as a 'near luxury performance sedan'. Very different target profiles.

A base Altima can be had for many thousands less than a base SE, and even more thousands less than a base SL.

The Altima SE/R does not enter into this comparison; it is a very limited production car marketed for a very narrow niche. It is not even a car one should compare with normal Altimas.

With each generation, Nissan usually follows this pattern: the second year gets very minor changes; the third year gets front and rear cosmetic changes, some mechanical improvements, a few added features and a bump in power; and the fourth year gets almost nothing.

If that pattern holds, the '06 Maxima could have 275 or 280 hp; possibly more. The '06 Altima will probably have no change in hp. That would bring the delineation in power between the Altima and the Maxima in line with the already existing clear delineation in price, image and target market.

As '06 is the 25th anniversary of the Maxima, there will be some acknowledgement of that fact from Nissan. Whether the entire model run will have the 'anniversary' designation, or only a special version will be so designated, I do not know.

I would guess that, where the '05 Maxima did not reach dealers until August 8th (no change means no rush), the 'improved' '06 will probably reach dealers no later than early July of '05. The '07 Maxima, having few changes from the '06, could amble onto dealer's lots (with no fanfare) in either July or August of '06. The '08 Maxima will almost surely be a complete redesign (generation seven), and will probably arrive in spring of 2007.

Those having even the slightest feeling that Altima might 'take down' the Maxima must have been living in Tahiti for the last year or two. Nissan planned to build 80K '04 Maximas for upscale driving connoisseurs. They actually built over 131K '04 Maximas. Some 'take down' . . .
Old 12-17-2004, 05:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My wife would say that she would rather drive her Alti over my Max - I - on the other hand - would rather drive the Max - but the Alti is a great ride if that's all you can afford - my wife's Alti is totally loaded so cost was just over $30K - and the Max (elite) stickered for $35K+ - I would say that for the extra cost savings for the Alti (clearly an interior materials and finish savings) the Alti is a lot of go for the $$$, but the Max is pure pleasure...

Old 12-17-2004, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by 04SEelite
and the Max (elite) stickered for $35K+
That's TL w/Navi territory.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by F23A4
That's TL w/Navi territory.

Are you inferring that he should have went w/ a TL with navi, like it's a better vehicle? Sometimes I think we get too caught up in the names of vehicles i.e. Lexus, Infiniti, Acura etc. Less we forget that most of these "luxury" cars are nothing but little more souped up Toyotas, Nissans, Hondas etc. I see nothing wrong with paying that much for a Maxima when it first came out (especially a fully equipped elite). We shouldn't underestimate the luxury of our Maximas. Don't forget that a Acura TL began as a Honda.

If I'm wrong about you suggestion F23A4, then I apoligize now.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:43 AM

I test drove an Alti SE-R 6 speed and then drove the 6 speed Maxi. No comparison. Alti felt cheap, handled sloppily, and the seats werent very comfortable. They weren't dealing on the Alti so I got the Maxima for about the same price. The Maxima is heads and tails above the Alti. The Altima is a much more common car. it was an easy decision. My 2 cents.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I test drove an Alti SE-R 6 speed and then drove the 6 speed Maxi. No comparison. Alti felt cheap, handled sloppily, and the seats werent very comfortable. They weren't dealing on the Alti so I got the Maxima for about the same price. The Maxima is heads and tails above the Alti. The Altima is a much more common car. it was an easy decision. My 2 cents.
That SER Alti handles better than any stock Maxima I have driven from 1st gen thru 6th gen hands down.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:33 PM

This is a Maxima environment.....so get your Altima butt out.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:38 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

I traded a 02 base max for my 04 fully loaded (exept navi and elite). I think this car is more for a BIG BALLER style..... I love driving and pulling up in my big max....PIMPING!!!
Old 12-17-2004, 04:41 PM

Now that's what I'm talkin' about......Maxima's rule.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:05 PM

I test drove the Altima SE before buying my MAX. There was NO comparison. The shifter in the Alt was clunky and cheap - interior was built for a kid. LOVE my MAX. Only way I'm getting rid of it is for a SERIOUS upgrade to the M3 next year...
Old 12-17-2004, 05:16 PM

Ill take on ANY stock Altima in my 6 speed Maxima on any road any time and kick a$$, I promise.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:28 PM

Yeah, it amuses me when people (usually non-Maxima owners or owners of earlier Altimas) say that the 04/05 Maxima and Altima are basically the same car, or that it doesn't make any sense to pay the extra for a Maxima. To them I say, "Have you driven both cars?". Most haven't, but if they say yes, I ask, "were you conscious at the time?"

To me, there's a lot of difference in the two, from the way they drive and handle to the overall "feel" to the fit and finish. There's nothing wrong with the Altima, but it's just in a slightly different league from the Maxima, and as lightonthehill has pointed out, it's aimed at a different demographic.

A fully-equipped 04/05 Altima is a nice car ... but it ain't a Maxima.

Mike
Old 12-17-2004, 05:47 PM

How very true Mike TX.......
Old 12-17-2004, 08:06 PM

I will just leave it at different strokes for different folks. 3.5 Altima is a pretty nice ride. The interior is a different thing, some like the Altima, some like the Maxima.

Some like the Altima tail lights, and grill....some like the Maxima..

Personally, I got the Maxima as a prior Max owner, and liked the new body style....and the sky roof...I like it better than a sun roof....never opens, no leaks so far.

3.5 Altima.....3.5 Max....still same nice engine, different interior. I got the Max for the room as well, just was a bit bigger to me. Could I have gotten a loaded Altima about the same price...yep...but took my Max. Would I have loved a loaded Max with Ember and elite package....you bet. Was not going to happen though.

Traded in a BMW 328IC....not out of finance issues...just needed a bigger car.

Did the Max have a better engine and lower mx bills than my BMW...you bet, bet, more room and 4 doors....you bet.

Did I give up something....BMW steering, and most of all a convert top. Was it a good choice....sometimes, you have to take a hit for the team, in my case, the family. Nothing wrong with an Altima though....sweet cars, but the rear tail lights made me sick. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by leftfootmax
Are you inferring that he should have went w/ a TL with navi, like it's a better vehicle? Sometimes I think we get too caught up in the names of vehicles i.e. Lexus, Infiniti, Acura etc. Less we forget that most of these "luxury" cars are nothing but little more souped up Toyotas, Nissans, Hondas etc. I see nothing wrong with paying that much for a Maxima when it first came out (especially a fully equipped elite). We shouldn't underestimate the luxury of our Maximas. Don't forget that a Acura TL began as a Honda.

If I'm wrong about you suggestion F23A4, then I apoligize now.
Your money, your choice. Though the underpinnings of the ES330 and TL are from the Camry and Accord, they are MUCH better (and A LOT more car) than both on various levels. The Acura and Lexus names are just the gravy.

If I was to spend 35-large for a sedan, the Maxima wouldnt be a top consideration. But my opinion doesnt reflect soley on comparing the 04/05 Maxima vs the ES330/3G TL, I feel the same way comparing my 5.5G Maxima with the TL-S and ES300. (Back in 02, Nissan wanted $32G for a loaded SE which put in squarely in TL Type S territory.)

$.02