6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Think my struts are squishing like mad.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 08:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Think my struts are squishing like mad.

Hi all,

Havent been here in a while...

I had concerns when I first bought the car in March... Worked out some kinks, some remained. I had all the struts replaced a month after owning the car. Anyways, its been 9 months and 22,000 miles. I have been noticing this terribible squishing sound in my car, mainly over bumps, especially when the car is cold, 20 degree weather right now. Sounds like squishin struts, either they are cold or somethign, the bushin who knows. Its so annoying, you can hear it with the radio on. Anyways, does anybody else have this? Its kind of embarassing. I wonder if the struts are still under warrany. I hate takin the car in for service, but I guess I should before the warranty is up. Or maybe I shoudl put new struts in, like custom ones.

Thanks for th eopinions.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:06 PM

I'm taking my car in tomorrow to the dealership (again) because of a squeaky type of noise that I hear whenever I go over bumps... might be the same thing that you're hearing?

I have 11k miles on it and I know that even a Pinto is not supposed to be making those types of noises...
Old 12-17-2004, 09:35 AM

Got the same on my 04 se... only hear it when it gets cold... only problem is when I go to the dealer the sound does not come!! I have even taken the dealer on a trip I ususally use and hear the sounds .. but I just cant get the car to make the sounds when the dealer is in.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:26 PM

I have the same problem with my 04 se... Only with the rear though. It sounds horrible when i go over speed bumps in my office complex.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:58 PM

I noticed the same thing recently. A pretty nasty squishing/squeeking noise when I go over things like speed bumps. Appears to only be in the rear. I never heard this noise until it got real cold. It was 12 degrees the other night and that was the first time I heard it. Definetly could be related to the temp.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:50 PM

Exactly, in the cold, never heard this in the warm, it was more of a bang, pop thingy. DO you think its a problem? or just a crap design? Whats the noise? the bushin? it sound slike a 50 year old car.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:06 PM

Guys What You Are Hearing Is Actually Your Stablizer Bar Rubbing Against Something. I Noticed The Colder It Was The Louder It Got. It Actually Is A Deformed Part That Was Installed And Must Be Replaced.... I Figured This Out After A Worthless Nissan Mechanic Could Not. One Of My Friends Fathers Who Is A Mechanic Found The Problem. Brought It To Nissan And They Were Like "oh Yeah Didnt Even Think Of That" Great F'n Morons. It Has Been 3 Weeks Since They "ordered" My Part And I Still Didnt Get A Phonecall From Them That It Arrived Despite Me Calling Them Daily.... Some 3-5 Days Guys Unbelevable .. Anyway Hope This Helps U Out. Let Me Know If You Had The Same Problem
Old 12-19-2004, 07:42 PM

whats the problem? what is it that needs to be replaced? thanks!
Old 12-20-2004, 12:06 AM

The actual rear stablizer bar has a deformity to it . i know that is what has to be replaced. in the cold when it expands you hear a screeching or squeaking noise. it is annoying as hell. BTW I STILL DIDNT GET MY PART IN AND ITS BEEN A MONTH. UN F
N BELIEVABLE MAN!!!
Old 12-20-2004, 12:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I took my car in today for several issues...this is one of them. I will let you know what the Tech finds out.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

had the struts on the right side replaced three times ,the last time the dealer order a special one.no problems so far.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:05 AM

I can confirm maximaman2oo4 comment to a point. I took my car in and the tech said that the mounts for the rear stabilizer needed to be tightened. The stabilizer itself was fine. Got to love the ORG
Old 12-23-2004, 01:19 AM

hey msoemax did the squeaking go away after the tightening. the nissan place where ibrought my car said my bar was deformed and had to be replaced? still didnt get the part in and my squeaking persisted after they looked at it... any suggestions??
Old 12-23-2004, 10:00 AM

Well, it mostly went away. It still can be heard if I go over a big speed bumps. I just got the car back last night So i need to drive around some more. I will keep you posted.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:39 PM

maximan was right, i had my sway bar tightened problem disappeared
Old 12-25-2004, 12:02 AM

HAHA IM GLAD YOU GUYS ARE FIXING YOUR PROBLEMS. THE DEALERSHIP SAIDD THEY ORDERED A NEW BAR FOR MY CAR BUT IT HAS YET TO ARRIVE (ITS BEEN A MONTH ALREADYYYY) any suggestions as to what i should do. they temporarally stopped the problem by greasing up whatever was rubbing, that lasted about 3 days. now its squeaking like madddd any suggestions as to what i should do to get this part in

CONSUMER AFFAIRS???? im at a loss for ideas!
Old 12-25-2004, 12:15 PM

I would call 1800nissan1 and get to someone higher up. Have them expedite your parts. As far as my issue...The dealer said they fixed the problem, but when going over speed bumps i can still hear the squeek. The car is going in again this wed to another dealer for parts that were on order. I will bring up this issue with them. I am tired of dealing with this car. It's been in the shop 16 times in the past 5.5 months. The dealer won't provide me with a loaner anymore. Well, I'll let you guys know what's going on.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:29 PM

Thanks Man Good Luck!
Old 12-27-2004, 02:46 PM

So I think I had an epiphany on the squeek sound. If I recall correctly the crappy spare is being held in place with styrafoam. If this is the case it may be the wheel moving around on bumps and rubbing against the styrafoam. Since it got colder out the bolt holding the wheel down may have loosened because of "shrinkage" in the materials of the tire/rim. When I get a chance I will see what's up back there.

Can someone else check this out too and put up a post. Damn tech's can't they do their jobs?
Old 12-27-2004, 06:56 PM

let me know how that goes. considering i have a box in the trunk im too lazy to take out. If that solves your problem i wil have to go ahead and remove my box and tighten the spare up . thanks
Old 12-28-2004, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by maximaman2oo4
let me know how that goes. considering i have a box in the trunk im too lazy to take out. If that solves your problem i wil have to go ahead and remove my box and tighten the spare up . thanks
I was gonna check this morning but it was 20° and I was late for work... but the explanation sounds feasible at least... The squeaking that I hear sounds like it's coming from the rear, and it's only some of the time... could be the spare.

If anybody else can check, let me know. I probably won't have the chance until late tonight.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:44 AM

Well, it's gotten warmer here in Chicago so some of the squeeks elsewhere have gone away. I think that the cold weather has a lot to do with the squeek/squish.

There is a black piece of styrafoam in the spare wheel well that keeps the cover for the spare from drooping into the wheel well. I tightened down the spare and it seems very difficult to get the rear to squeek/squish now over bumps. However, I still hear the sound while driving. I will have to spend a little more time in a parking lot with speed bumps. To see exactly where the sound is coming from.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by msoemax
Well, it's gotten warmer here in Chicago so some of the squeeks elsewhere have gone away. I think that the cold weather has a lot to do with the squeek/squish.

There is a black piece of styrafoam in the spare wheel well that keeps the cover for the spare from drooping into the wheel well. I tightened down the spare and it seems very difficult to get the rear to squeek/squish now over bumps. However, I still hear the sound while driving. I will have to spend a little more time in a parking lot with speed bumps. To see exactly where the sound is coming from.
I'm in the same boat... it warmed up around here (30-40 degrees now... HEAT WAVE! ) and the sound is pretty much gone. Even on the dips around the Hutch where I used to hear them a lot, I can't hear a damn thing now. Must be something else though... at least in my case I don't think it's the spare -- or at least not by itself.

The more I think about it, the more I think this is completely ridiculous though. There's no reason for me to be looking for squeaks in a car with only a few months in it.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:47 AM

I Totally Agree With You Viguera. My Car Was Doing It Last Year When I First Baught It In November!!!!! Was Too Lazy To Bring It To The Dealer Because It Was A Problem That Was On And Off (definately Because Of The Temp.) Anyway Decided To Bring It In Week Before Thanksgiving Of This Year And Im Still Waiting For The Rear Stablizer Bar To Come In. As A Regular Nissan Consumer (99, 02, 04 Maxima) Ive Had It With These Cars And The Service People !!! Next Time Im Going Over To Acura

As Far As Fixing The Problem Let Me Know If You Guys Have Any Luck , And If So Please Tell Me What You Did!!
Old 12-30-2004, 05:10 AM

Well, last night after work I took a drive to a local parking lot with speed bumps. It's really an on/off sound. It's very difficult to get the sound to happen now that it's warmer. It seems you have to hit the bumps just right for it to happen. I am sure when I take the test drive with the service manager he will say NPF on the paper work!!! I don't know what else to tell you guys.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:02 AM

FYI- The Maxima is notorious for squeeks and rattles.

Your problem is most likely the bushings that need to be lubricated or the springs are rubbing against the wheel well over bumps. Try to find out which wheel well it is comming from.

There is an off chance that it could be comming from your seat when you go over a bump. Try bouncing on your seat. If it is the seat, your out of luck in fixing it.

I had the same problem happen, and I sprayed some oil over it, and it went away.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:10 PM

Funny you bring up the seat...It's getting a new cushion on monday as far as the rest of the problems grrrr.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by msoemax
Funny you bring up the seat...It's getting a new cushion on monday as far as the rest of the problems grrrr.
In my case it's not the seat... that's the first thing I tried (had a squeaky passenger seat in my other car before). I also did the "rock the boat" business to see if the passenger could tell where the noise was coming from, but that didn't help. I was tempted to just jump up and down on the hood/trunk and see if I could reproduce it, but I thought better of it...
Old 01-10-2005, 04:28 PM

any updates reguarding the rear suspension squeek???
Old 01-10-2005, 05:10 PM

it hasn't been as cold it was when I started to have the problem. Since then I have yet to be able to make it squeek. I also tightened down my spare tire. I think some of the squeek was due to the styrafoam. That's all.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:44 AM

it hasnt been as cold and i havent heard mine. weird scenario but whateva.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:58 AM

I had similar noise coming from the rear. The dealer said it was from the controller arm and replaced it. I also pointed them to this post and they said the stabilizer bar was fine but still lubed the bushings on it. Not sure why but it is cold now and no sound from the rear, so far.