6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

glove box alignment

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 08:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

glove box alignment

Does anyone have this problem? How can it be fixed? Help.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Before you go posting stuff do some searching first. Most of the porblems people are/have had have been discussed to death on the ORG. There is a TSB for this.
http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../NTB04-050.htm
Old 12-17-2004, 10:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

No need to get nasty. Unfortunately I do not have hours to do research on the subject I just thought I could post a message and that some nice people would come to my aid. Boy was I surprised.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:54 AM

The glove box alignment problem is very common. Some people don't mind it and it drives others nuts (like me). The fix is fairly simple (as you saw in the TSB link above) and done under warranty.

Just inspect your dash trim and the box itslef after the fix has been done and look for scratches... My glove box had to be replaced because the dealership scratched it during the fix.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:45 PM

If you have time to wait at the dealer for this TSB so be it. I choose to do it me self. I formed the glove box with my hands very simple. Left hand palm down just below inside glove box lock mechanism. Right hand palm up on the outside right corner of glove box. Left hand presses downward, right hand presses upward at little more pressure upward bend that corner.
Know form that corner of the glove box as needed. Please do not press to much to brake the glove box door. It works did mine in april and its ok today. Just work this solution until your satified. Better then going to dealer and wasting your time for a fix,thats if the dealer fixes works.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by shoresj
Dealer knows about it, I went to my dealer, actually did half of the work myself at the dealer dropping the glove box. They give you a small clear package of fatter nipples to replace the ones in the glovebox. Takes 5 min for the fix. Still, does not fix the problem perfect, but was the only cheap fix from Nissan. To make it perfect would require new trim on the left of the glove box. Does make the glove box seal tighter though. Your local dealer should be able to get the parts....little package...in less than a week. The stock nipples just pull out, no way to replace the new ones without a phillips head and a few minutes. Insert, pull the plug from behind...done. This will be FREE at the dealer. Hope this helps again.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:19 PM

And DO MAKE THE DEALER FIX IT FOR YOU.....no excuse they can not fix it for you. They KNOW about the problem. Wish I had the empty plastic case to give you the part number. Was it a problem for me....30K car....hell yes, they could get me a few rubber nibs for it. Did it fix it perfect....nope, and it will not make it perfect for you either, because we know about the allignment thing....but than again, everyone who gets in my car, never noticed, before or after the fix if that helps. Just my opinion....but I am **** on some things.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:06 PM

Carcus just follow my instructions It really works. Dont waste your time at the dealer. The plastic glove box door will bend to fit the dash perfectly================.I posted this solution last year I guess I will be posting it next year as well. Please all concerned do it yourself , just like the rear deck rattle. Best done by you the dealer is a waste!!!.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I agree with licnyc....do it yourself...those techs can't do anything right unless they have a manual in front of them guiding their every step....
Old 12-20-2004, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by install30
I agree with licnyc....do it yourself...those techs can't do anything right unless they have a manual in front of them guiding their every step....
I did pretty much do it myself at the Nissan dealer with the dealer ordered nibs. Turned the wrench myself. Way I figure it, this was a construction flaw and Nissan was going to give me the parts. I could have done it myself, but hey, was at the dealer getting the new shift **** replacement so figured might as well have them get these new nibs. And you are right about the dealer not knowing what to do, I had to tell them we needed to remove the glove box to install the new nibs. Took 2 minutes and a phillips screwdriver.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:48 PM

No need to get nasty. Unfortunately I do not have hours to do research on the subject I just thought I could post a message and that some nice people would come to my aid. Boy was I surprised.
Hey hey, there is nothing nasty here.... He is just asking you to do some basic homework, thats all.... have some patience... no one here is working for you....
Old 12-22-2004, 07:25 AM

I have the same damn problem. We thought it might have been caused by a accident at first, seemed like the dash was out of alignment. Guess its a fairly common problem.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:19 PM

Can we beat this subject anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????
Old 12-22-2004, 05:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I agree, thus my comment
Old 12-22-2004, 07:02 PM

Let's all of us take our gloveboxes off our Maxi's and throw them at our service advisors!!!!!
Old 12-22-2004, 10:26 PM

Having corrected my glove box alignment with the simple little extended rubber nipple in the upper left corner, I have now moved to a more practical problem: once I have the driver manual, maintenance log and a pair of driving gloves stuffed in there, there is no room for anything else.

I wish glove boxes could be roomier, as well as have a more usable shape. Like they were fifty years ago. But then there weren't so many things competing for dash space back then. The airbag system alone takes up more space than the glove box uses.
Old 12-25-2004, 10:22 AM

yup upper left corner...i didnt even notice mine until a couple weeks ago...so i took it to the deler and complained about a bunch of stuff that i saw tsb's on...my glove box is perfect...got my trans reproggramed(shifts unreal now..and quicker)..and new brakes...just take it in if you have a few days..and get new stuff for free!!!