6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Speaker problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 03:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Speaker problem

Hi. I don't know anything about car audio, but while driving to work today I noticed the sound shift over to the right side.

When I turn the balance to the left, the sound is very muffled and quieter. I think it happens for both the front and the rear. I then turn it over to the right, and it sounds fine.

What could be the problem? I don't think I play my music loud at all. The loudest I go is probably 12. Most of the time about 10. I listen 80% to CDs and 20% from a tunecast-mp3 fm transitter (in which case I bump the volume to 14, but it's much quieter than the music).

I have an SE with stock Bose (preferred pkg).

Would this be covered under warranty?

Thanks!
Tom
Old 12-20-2004, 03:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Just have them look at it.....but then of course if they can't reproduce the problem they'll just send you on your merry way....
Old 12-20-2004, 04:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Does this only happen while playing CD's? Others have reported a similiar problem and for them, the dealer fixed it by replacing the CD player (all under warranty). So, take it to the dealer and see if they can replicate it.

Good luck!
Old 12-20-2004, 07:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nope, happens with everything now. It's permanent (doesn't come and go). As I was driving it happened. Left side's bad (I think the tweeter is completely out), and the right side is OK.

I'll find out when I bring it in!

Tom
Old 12-20-2004, 11:46 PM

give it a good wack in the left corner near the ac controls. will knock whatver it is back ... i had that problem with my bose system when i played cd's(CD-R). every time i hit it it came back on. i dont know im mechanically inclined like that! i noticed when i switched over to regular cds (not burnt) i didnt have a problem. but who pays full price for a cd nowadays. anyway i ended up taking out the headunit and adding a pioneer avic n-1 which i am giving to my girlfiriend and will purchase the n2 when it is released.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:10 AM

the tweeter or the speaker?, Should be able to take the panel off and check out the tweeter/speaker
Old 12-21-2004, 01:52 PM

i think i have the same problem, only its not a broken speaker or anything because if i put the radio on, both come back instantly.

i just posted about it as i had this thread opened in another window lol...

check my post at http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=364217
Old 12-21-2004, 02:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just went out and checked again. There was still the problem. I then turned on the radio, and it sounded fine!

I then tried another CD, and it sounded fine. I then tried the original, and now it sounds fine!

Something's out of whack. It seems it may be hard to have service look at it now.

So it does sound (no pun...) like we do have the same problem.
Tom
Old 12-21-2004, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by funkygrue
I just went out and checked again. There was still the problem. I then turned on the radio, and it sounded fine!

I then tried another CD, and it sounded fine. I then tried the original, and now it sounds fine!

Something's out of whack. It seems it may be hard to have service look at it now.

So it does sound (no pun...) like we do have the same problem.
Tom
Might be something as simple as a loose speaker connection. My wifes car had a speaker that cut in and out, than finally failed. Turned out to be just the connection was loose. When I replaced her window motor that was failing, I found this out. Crimped it tight and all is well. Have the dealer check it out. Bad thing is that they will remove either your dash or door panels to check the speakers or probably send the head unit to a local repair shop to check for issues if they can not find a loose connection. As a last result they will probably replace the head unit, under warranty. Depends on the dealer. My Lincoln Mark VIII did this, they sent out the head unit to be repaired first to a local stereo shop the dealer had a bond with. They could not duplicate the problem, finally replaced the head unit after all connections were checked.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:39 PM

I was having the same problem. Sometimes the cd would play in the left speakers, sometimes it would not. The radio always worked. The dealer replaced it under warranty and it's been working fine since then.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I had the same exact problem and it was the cd player. I took it to the dealer and they swapped it out and the problem was solved
Old 12-22-2004, 12:11 AM

to those of you who swapped it for a new one at the dealership the problem will come back ... had the problem with my 02 and my 04 ... changed the headunit in the 04 NO PROBLEMS FOR 6 MONTHS AND STILL GOIN STRONG