6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

04 SL to an SE

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 02:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

04 SL to an SE

Read the post today about top speeds in our Max's and I agree with one poster about the SL getting quite shaky at about 130-140, did not want to try to go past that because of this. Was really wanting to get an SE but got a killer deal on my SL. What can I do to her to beef up the suspension so she rides high up there much more smoothly?
Old 12-21-2004, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by toms04MaxSL
Read the post today about top speeds in our Max's and I agree with one poster about the SL getting quite shaky at about 130-140, did not want to try to go past that because of this. Was really wanting to get an SE but got a killer deal on my SL. What can I do to her to beef up the suspension so she rides high up there much more smoothly?
When do you actually get the car up to those speeds, even at the drag strip it will trap under 100 in the 1/4. One front tire blow out at that speed and no suspention mod on earth is going to help you.

Are you talking about high speed driving or just getting the car to corner better? You get pulled over at those speeds.....all the money is going for bail, not suspention mods if you keep your licence. Don't take this the wrong way, just trying to figure out what you are looking for to upgrade.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:41 PM

Somebody please take the Maxima to Germany. That way you will not get questions on your speeds because it's all legal in some spots.

I know it's someone in Germany, Militaty or whatever that has test drove the Maxima at 135+.

Rescue me, and tell me about the experience on the AUTOBAHN
Old 12-21-2004, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by rnupetroop
Somebody please take the Maxima to Germany. That way you will not get questions on your speeds because it's all legal in some spots.

I know it's someone in Germany, Militaty or whatever that has test drove the Maxima at 135+.

Rescue me, and tell me about the experience on the AUTOBAHN
I am active duty military, spent 3 years in Europe driving on the Autostrada in Italy, no speed limit there. Seen plenty of stuff, when they crash, they crash hard. Actually, most military highway injuries are Americans trying to race the local guys.....they know their cars, how they handle, are use to the area and driving at high speeds. Last thing you want to do is be in the passing lane, a few quick flashes, the cars are coming....and right there. Hey, I like the Maxima, but the cars in Europe are geared quite a bit different, they do pretty well at those speeds. Now, driving like that in the US, different story. Guess you have to be there to know what I mean. Hate standing on the soap box, but hey, if I can stop on post for....I got busted driving over 100 and my car is impounded, I need a lawyer, please help me.....I did my job. This is a Maxima, not a BMW M3 on the Autobahn...point I am trying to make.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by carcus
I am active duty military, spent 3 years in Europe driving on the Autostrada in Italy, no speed limit there. Seen plenty of stuff, when they crash, they crash hard. Actually, most military highway injuries are Americans trying to race the local guys.....they know their cars, how they handle, are use to the area and driving at high speeds. Last thing you want to do is be in the passing lane, a few quick flashes, the cars are coming....and right there. Hey, I like the Maxima, but the cars in Europe are geared quite a bit different, they do pretty well at those speeds. Now, driving like that in the US, different story. Guess you have to be there to know what I mean. Hate standing on the soap box, but hey, if I can stop on post for....I got busted driving over 100 and my car is impounded, I need a lawyer, please help me.....I did my job. This is a Maxima, not a BMW M3 on the Autobahn...point I am trying to make.
This is the main reason why I did not mention the US Hwy, my dad spent 30 yrs in military and retired CSM. I posted my 2cents to get ppl from talking about their high speeds on roads where it is illegal.
I remember Hawaii, Alaska and other states but I guess I was way too young to remember Stuttgart, Germany. I will ask him if everyone drove a m3. saab, volvo, alfa r, puegott, vw are just a few that were seen in some of the pictures.
Let's try and work together, it's obvious we just can't tell ppl to stop posting driving fast on US hwys so lets let them talk about it somewhere else.
I'm going to let you have this one comparing my Ember to a m2 or whatever you call it, like it's the fastest car on the autobahn.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by rnupetroop
This is the main reason why I did not mention the US Hwy, my dad spent 30 yrs in military and retired CSM. I posted my 2cents to get ppl from talking about their high speeds on roads where it is illegal.
I remember Hawaii, Alaska and other states but I guess I was way too young to remember Stuttgart, Germany. I will ask him if everyone drove a m3. saab, volvo, alfa r, puegott, vw are just a few that were seen in some of the pictures.
Let's try and work together, it's obvious we just can't tell ppl to stop posting driving fast on US hwys so lets let them talk about it somewhere else.
I'm going to let you have this one comparing my Ember to a m2 or whatever you call it, like it's the fastest car on the autobahn.
You kinda lost me on that one. Driving a Maxima in US traffic under our laws is a bit different that driving the autobahn at high speeds, also, I am sure your dad being in Stuttgart can tell you lots of stories about the autobahn and driving in Europe and bet he learned from them and being a retired CSM saw his share of accidents with US guys getting in cars and racing the locals. They have a different mentality of driving than we do, you have to actually drive there to understand that. Plenty of fast cars in Europe out there that have different specs than the US cars....minus a few safety features as well. Not ripping on the Max either....but with Euro spec cars.....different league.

This was not a slam, but just hate to hear someone getting a ticket and hearing the whining in the states for it.......you have to know where I am coming from. Driven in Italy, Greece, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, a bit different in the mid east, but Europe is a league of it's own. Hey, the Maxima is not a street racer, nor does anyone buy it for a high top speed.....if you want a car like that....different class. Just my 2 cents.

Now on the Bahn, or Autostrada....the Max would get whooped....not geared for it and the safety equipment in Europe is a bit different, lighter, less bumper restrictions, not as bad emmisions, depending on country. These guys know the roads......actually, I do not think there is a high demand for a Maxima in Germany. Flame suit on.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:00 PM

I have a suggestion: Put a roll cage in it, because you'll need all the protection you can get when you crash it trying to hit 140mph on a highway.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:45 PM

toms04MaxSL - Reams of generalization in your post. Are you talking about the 04 SLs with the four speed tranny or the '04 SLs with the five speed tranny? Are you talking about the '04 SLs with the 'H' rated tires, or the '04 SLs with the 'V' rated tires? Are you talking about SLs known to be shimmy-free?

How many SLs are you aware of that have gotten shaky at speeds over 130 MPH as compared with the number of SEs that have gotten shaky at those speeds? Were the SLs and SEs being driven on the same roadway? By the same drivers? Are you absolutely sure the tires on the shaky SLs were correctly inflated and perfectly balanced? The alignment perfectly correct?

There are far too many unspecified variables involved, as well as a total lack of established test controls, to make any such statement as 'SLs shaky at high speeds' meaningful. It may be possible to theorize in this area, but proving anything would require stringent control of all aspects of the test.

p.s. - and don't go by me at 135 MPH. I can be very nasty about reporting flagrant and dangerous safety violations. I enjoy finding out how a car will do at speed. But not on a public road; one slip and you could wipe out several innocent families.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:31 AM

there is no way in hell i would drive my maxima in sicily i rented a car there on an r/r trip from iraq and was relieved to turn it in with no damage. the people drive like there nuts. there are no traffic rules, just suggestions. you can stop, you can go 60kph but you dont have to. and just because you stop doesnt mean the guy behind you has to. hell just pass you on whatever side he wants to. if any one on here has been to catiana, sicily then im sure you know what im talking about.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
toms04MaxSL - Reams of generalization in your post. Are you talking about the 04 SLs with the four speed tranny or the '04 SLs with the five speed tranny? Are you talking about the '04 SLs with the 'H' rated tires, or the '04 SLs with the 'V' rated tires? Are you talking about SLs known to be shimmy-free?

How many SLs are you aware of that have gotten shaky at speeds over 130 MPH as compared with the number of SEs that have gotten shaky at those speeds? Were the SLs and SEs being driven on the same roadway? By the same drivers? Are you absolutely sure the tires on the shaky SLs were correctly inflated and perfectly balanced? The alignment perfectly correct?

There are far too many unspecified variables involved, as well as a total lack of established test controls, to make any such statement as 'SLs shaky at high speeds' meaningful. It may be possible to theorize in this area, but proving anything would require stringent control of all aspects of the test.

p.s. - and don't go by me at 135 MPH. I can be very nasty about reporting flagrant and dangerous safety violations. I enjoy finding out how a car will do at speed. But not on a public road; one slip and you could wipe out several innocent families.
AMEN to that!
Old 12-22-2004, 08:10 PM

Just get the eibachs and some good tires, then try again. Your sl should do just as good as the se. btw make sure it's geared right, that may also be a issue.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:16 PM

In case anyone may be uncertain, the engines in the SE and SL are exactly alike in every detail, and for SLs built after 2-6-04, the trannys are exactly alike in every detail, including all gear ratios.

The SE has 18" wheels, while the SL has 17" wheels, but the SL's 55 profile tires pretty much get that inch back because of the 45 profile tires on the SE.

At the speeds involved, the spoiler could come into play, so to make the test even, if the SE had a spoiler, a similar one would have to be added to the SL.

To be statistically meaningful (offsetting quirks of individual cars), the test would have to include at least five SEs and at least five SLs. The best and worst results in each area tested for the SE and the SL would be dropped, with the remainder averaged.

I would anticipate the results would show negligable differences at straightline speed between the SE and SL.

The performance differences between the SL and SE are rather limited to two areas: the SL has a softer, more comfortable ride, while the SE's firmer suspension should do better at speed on a road with curves.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

lightonthehill...you are the man....
Old 12-31-2004, 01:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Eh Hem

I am wanting to stiffen up the ride a little and give it a better 110-140+ ride. Eibach springs and new tires? Is that it?
I have had the speeding tickets and I know if I crash, just was posting the question out there because I do hit those speeds sometimes and I want it a little safer. Thanks...
Old 12-31-2004, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by toms04MaxSL
I am wanting to stiffen up the ride a little and give it a better 110-140+ ride. Eibach springs and new tires? Is that it?
I have had the speeding tickets and I know if I crash, just was posting the question out there because I do hit those speeds sometimes and I want it a little safer. Thanks...
Found a good price on the suspention mods you need, this should hook you up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=10156