6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Auto Trans Fluid on 3.5 SE...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 12:26 PM

Auto Trans Fluid on 3.5 SE...

Anyone!

I have a 3.5 SE...brand new with about 144 miles on it now. Finally getting around to reading the book on everything. One question I have for the group is...can you fill up the auto trans fluid if necessary? The book shows a small tank with markings for hot and cold level's...but actually in the engine compartment between the bulk of the engine and the air box is a auto trans dipstick. Is there no tank that can be filled if necessary? The book does not mention a dipstick at all.

Any help would be great...also...did anyone have to add oil during the initial 1200 mile break in period? Thanks all!

Jimbo
Old 12-26-2004, 05:52 PM

Yes I have been wondering that myself. I am going to the dealer to pick up a couple of quarts since I am driving cross country. Can you check and add fluid like any other AT?
Old 12-26-2004, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by NIKV69
Yes I have been wondering that myself. I am going to the dealer to pick up a couple of quarts since I am driving cross country. Can you check and add fluid like any other AT?
Nikv69...I would hope you can add AT fluid...but I don't know where. In the manual it shows a little tank with a AT fluid cap...but the actual car has a dipstick. I'm going to talk to the dealer tomorrow about it...and I'll post what I find out...
Old 12-26-2004, 07:44 PM

That's what I meant, I have no idea where to add it too, I was wondering if you could just pour it down the dipstick. Let is know what that dealer says.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:48 PM

That's odd, no dipstick? I never heard of a car with auto tranny with no dipstick. that would be hard to know how much fluid and also the condition too.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:16 PM

I wish I could post a pic of my 04 dipstick. same old **** type DS.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:28 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
That's odd, no dipstick? I never heard of a car with auto tranny with no dipstick. that would be hard to know how much fluid and also the condition too.
who said no dipstick? they're trying to find where to add fluid.

are manuals are about worthless. recent cars seem to be designed more and more to ensure dealer dependancy.

my service manual states:

"Remove the A/T fluid level guage and note reading. If the reading is at or below the low side of the range, add the necessary specified A/T fluid through the A/T fluid charging pipe."

so basically, yes we pour it down the dipstick tube.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:44 PM

MAJ_Jimbo - I read the driver's manual from cover to cover when I bought my '04 Maxima, but have not looked at it recently.

One thing I do remember is that the 5 speed Auto tranny in the '04 and '05 Maximas MUST have only Nissan's special fluid put in it. This can actually become a warranty issue. That may be why they don't make adding fluid as easy as it usually is on other cars.

When you added your last 'also' statement about adding oil, I took that to mean engine oil, not tranny oil.

It is normal for an engine to use a little oil at first, as the parts have not yet 'fitted' themselves together. Mine used about a half quart the first 500 miles, but used increasingly less after that.

I would expect that, once you have finished the breakin period, you should be able (under normal driving conditions) to go the standard 3750 miles between changes without the level dropping below the 'add oil' mark.

If I am getting ready to make a long trip or drive on steep mountain roads, and the oil level is more than halfway down from the 'full' mark to the 'add oil' mark, I usually cheat a tad and add enough to bring the level more than halfway up, just so I won't worry about it on the trip.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:41 AM

Just got back from the dealer. This special K-Matic fluid is $10 a quart!

You got to be kidding me, the guy was a dumb as a post and didn't know where to add it.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:39 PM

You got to be kidding me, the guy was a dumb as a post and didn't know where to add it.
Hey Guys...just called the dealer and talked to a tech. The Maxima, or at least the 05 (don't know about others), does not have a reservoir to add AT fluid. He said you have to add it through the tube which means you need a damn good funnel with a small hole on the end. Also...I did know about the Nissan Matic fluid. Don't plan on adding anything different then what Nissan recommends, which I shouldn't have to do since it's new. I did find a TSB and it did mention that other AT fluids could cause problems and damange the engine...I do think it's stupid that it's 10 dollars a quart though.

The manual...yes...worthless in the AT fluid aspect. It does not even address the dipstick or the procedure the dealer told me how to check it. They said that one, get the car to normal OP temperature. Shut it down and then take it out of park, and proceed to pull it down through the shifting sequence to drive and then back to park. Then pull the dipstick and check it.

I'm a little disappointed the manual does not address this as I'm new to the Nissan. My previous car was a fully modded and deckout 2002 VW Passat GLX. The manual on that car was awesome...oh well. So I guess we'll have to buy some funnels for that little tube now!!!

Jimbo
Old 12-27-2004, 01:39 PM

I have to say the Nissan dealer near my house sucks! I will check out the dipstick tomorrow and check my fluid level. My car only has 1800 miles on it so it shouldn't need any fluid. I still think $10 a quart is highway robbery! I am calling the police.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:54 PM

Shoot, I thought I was special ... my car calls for "Matic-J" fluid. It's an 04 G35 (I mostly lurk here -- with the drivetrain similarities between our cars I sponge up a lot of good info from the Max people). So they're up to "K" on the new Max. Hmmmmm. I wonder how different these fluids really are??? Don't feel bad, the local Inf dealer isn't any nicer on their pricing of the J fluid. The G now has a dipstick (tube was capped and empty -- no stick at all -- on early G35s). On later cars like mine, the stick is there, but it's actually bolted in place! Anyway, my point: I made a bit of a fuss about this, and the dealer assured me that current Nissan transmissions will neither use nor leak fluid and the stuff that's in there is a long-life product. Given the per quart price compared with what the dealer charges for a fluid exchange, I plan on just surrendering to the manipulation and letting them do a full flush and replace every other year or so.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The Service Manual for '04's States the following:

Fill / Re-Fill the transaxle with new specified A/T fluid through the A/T Fluid Charging Pipe - DO NOT overfill. so- yep - you're gonna need a funnel...

Fluids required to validate warranty are:

4 A/T : Genuine NISSAN Matic "D" ATF
5 A/T : Genuine NISSAN Matic "K" ATF

Fill capacities with Torque Converter are:

4 A/T : 9-3/4 US qt / 8-1/8 IMP qt
5 A/T : 7-3/4 US qt / 6-3/8 IMP qt
Old 12-28-2004, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by 04SEelite

Fill / Re-Fill the transaxle with new specified A/T fluid through the A/T Fluid Charging Pipe - DO NOT overfill. so- yep - you're gonna need a funnel...

O4SEelite...Good info...thanks for posting this! Does your book give you procedures to check the AT fluid? For instance what I said before...put it through all the AT gears and back up to park, of course after the car has reached normal OP temperature? Just curious..thanks!

Jimbo
Old 12-28-2004, 06:50 PM

The good news is that your auto trans fluid should be good for QUITE a bit of a time. I am not thinking that any of us so far should be worrying about changing the fluid quite yet. Also, by the time it comes, just a fluid change....you are looking at a filter change, and other stuff at that time. When I had the Z28, I had a high stall converter on it, and the MX on that was a different story. I think just in my belief, the normal MX fluid changes from Nissan are fine. Now if you are towing....never seen a Maxima with a tow bar or if they can even tow another car...there is then strain on the trans and a trans cooler would be a good investment. I am sure that Redline or alternate companies will also make Nissan compliant alternatives to the dealer fluid. Hey, 10 bucks a quart but how often is it changed.......not much. Better off worrying about oil changes, there is where the big part is. Hell, some people pay 6 bucks a quart for Royal Purple oil....15 bucks for a filter....you can see where I am getting at.

Can you change the ATF fluid yourself, you sure can, small filler at the top of the tube. There was once a good post here on how to do it yourself. Since we have no search function and none of the mods that are done are actually updated on the site....guess you have to dig a bit.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:15 PM

As a rule I change my AT fluid every 20,000 miles. I will look for that post on how to do it yourself. If any one finds it please post the link here.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by 04SEelite

Wonder whats so special about Nissan ATF?
I really would like to use some type of syntheic oil like Redlines ATF
Old 12-30-2004, 06:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When I got my Max, it shifted very poorly... I checked the A/T fluid level, and it was very low (barely registered)... took it to the dealer, and they filled it up... I checked my level by (basically) following the 4 speed tranny direction (just a different dip stick, as I recall).
Old 03-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does anyone know an online source for the Matic K fluid? I need to get some, and my dealer wants $30 per quart for it!!
Old 03-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

....also, my dealer wants $320 dollars to change out the ATF. Is this right?

2004 Nissan Maxima SL
Old 03-19-2006, 06:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Lexridge
....also, my dealer wants $320 dollars to change out the ATF. Is this right?

2004 Nissan Maxima SL

?? What? i just got mine changed out, and it only cost me 80 something.. that doent make any since..
Old 03-19-2006, 07:49 PM

It costs $9.95/quart and not even on-sale at my dealer. You do it yourself is around 3 quarts. Pull the plug, drain, refill. Just like an oil change without the filter. Goto nissanusa.com and link up to your local dealers' websites. Some offer discount coupons for parts and services. I usually stock up when I have a coupon.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:20 PM

Yep, just another way for Nissan to make sure we buy THEIR damn fluid at a premium cost of course!
Old 03-19-2006, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Killah Kane
Yep, just another way for Nissan to make sure we buy THEIR damn fluid at a premium cost of course!
Next thing we'll find out is that the Nissan will require our oil changes to use "NISSAN Marvel Mystery Oil" at $10/qt
Old 03-21-2006, 09:54 AM

Dodge does the same thing. They require ATF+4 and its a dealer only item. Some places like Amsoil offer ATF+4 compatable fluid but who wants to take that warranty gamble...
Old 03-21-2006, 10:51 PM

Lexridge - I'm not sure of your situation, but just in case, be aware Nissan recommends CHECKING the auto tranny fluid every 15K miles, and, unless something seems wrong (fluid discolored, smells burnt, appears contaminated, etc), it should be changed at the 105,000 mile service.

That seems like a long interval, but I'm sure the Nissan engineers must have passed on this. Unless something irregular is detected at one of my 15k checks, I plan to go ahead and change around 60K.

Of course, if one is pulling a trailer or driving in very rough terrain or brutal climate, it might be wise to consider changing around 30K or 45K, no matter the condition of the fluid.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:17 PM

3 Qts

Originally Posted by MaxFan
It costs $9.95/quart and not even on-sale at my dealer. You do it yourself is around 3 quarts. Pull the plug, drain, refill. Just like an oil change without the filter. Goto nissanusa.com and link up to your local dealers' websites. Some offer discount coupons for parts and services. I usually stock up when I have a coupon.
I read above that the 5 AT holds 8 qts. Are you saying only 3 qts drop out when you pull the drain bolt? I need to do a drain and fill and was wondering how many quarts to buy?
Old 03-22-2006, 05:57 PM

Even after I drove around to warm it up, only 3 quarts came out. My old '97GLE 4spd usually gave out from 3.5 to 4 quarts depending on the engine temperature. But I would recommend buying 1 extra quart. I used an empty 5-quart oil bottle to measure the old oil. And just put in exactly the amount back in. No need to monkey with the dipstick (I did the first few oil changes then got sick of it)
Old 03-23-2006, 05:15 AM

thanks man, that is exactly how I usually do it. I read on this thread that it is not recommended to change until 105,000 miles. That is hard for me to believe.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Nissan recommends CHECKING the auto tranny fluid every 15K miles, and, unless something seems wrong (fluid discolored, smells burnt, appears contaminated, etc), it should be changed at the 105,000 mile service.

That seems like a long interval, but I'm sure the Nissan engineers must have passed on this. Unless something irregular is detected at one of my 15k checks, I plan to go ahead and change around 60K.
Hey lightonthehill!
I was in a Vegas Nissan dealer and they told me the same thing. Their service guide gives you the option of a flush and fill every 30K. I will change mine at 50 or 60K as you have said.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Burny
thanks man, that is exactly how I usually do it. I read on this thread that it is not recommended to change until 105,000 miles. That is hard for me to believe.
I don't think car makers want your car to run forever without at least some repairs. They will go broke. I don't keep a car pass 100kmiles, but I want a trouble-free 100k. And when I pass them onto my relatives, they will be happy (so far)
Old 03-24-2006, 11:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anyone know how to remove the new type of dipstick in a 2005 SL? It is clipped to a metal piece. I'm not sure how to get it out without breaking it.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:17 PM

I got the same problem (newbie). I think the best way is to use a small flat-headed screwdriver and push it "downward" (don't try other ways). That will separate the lock.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What part are we pushing downward, the metal part? Have you tried it?
Old 03-27-2006, 02:20 PM

paid 164.00 to change mine 5 quarts
Old 03-28-2006, 03:52 PM

Unreal, just to unscrew a friggin bolt and screw it back in and drop 5 Qts in there. Ouch man!
Old 03-30-2006, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by willysmooo
paid 164.00 to change mine 5 quarts
Sorry to say, but it's hard to believe they actually got 5 quarts out of there. IMO they jacked up the amount of oil they used (and on top of the big $$$ for labor charge).
One way to see how honest your dealer is, is to bring the Max in for that oil change and see how many quarts they put on the invoice.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:10 PM

well they said capcity was around 7.5 quarts but they only did 5 quarts or actually there may be more than 7.5 quarts in there
Old 04-01-2006, 08:53 PM

I know they have a power-flush (7.5+ quarts) and regular flush (3 quarts). Is there a medium flush (5 quarts) ? They send me coupon for a power-flush saying they will completely replace the oil, for around the same price.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the replies folks. I will call another dealer tomorrow and try and get a better price on the fluid. $30 per quart is obviously crazy!

Quick Reply: Auto Trans Fluid on 3.5 SE...