6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Problems with CD text display

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 12:49 PM

Problems with CD text display

I have an '04 SE with the premium Bose/Clarion changer. After trying 30+ cd's of all kinds and release dates, only one cd displays any cd text info (title, track name, etc). All I get is track number & elapsed time. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't help. I called Bose who informed me that Clarion actually makes the unit. I couldn't get through to Clarion. According to Sony they have licensed the cd text technology to over 400 labels. Seems strange to have only one of my cd's (which happens to be on the Sony label, btw) display the info. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:56 PM

I have over 200 CDs in my collection and none of them have CD text. I made a copy of a CD and burned it w/ CD text and it works fine in the car. I guess CD text is not very common... My guess is if one of them work in your car, your unit is fine, otherwise it would never work.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:58 PM

Yeah, I guess that's the only reasonable conclusion. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just about no CD's come with CD Text. I have one hybrid-SACD that has it, and thats all. If you want the track name or album title on there, the only way to do it is to burn your own CD's with a program that supports CD Text.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I tried a few and none of them had it... not that it matters though, you probably want to make a copy of the CDs for the car anyway. I backed up all of the ones I wanted (Nero or Roxio work just fine) and now I have them in a binder in the car. CD-TEXT plus backup just in case...

There have been a couple of CDs that introduce weird characters to the info screen though (non-navi here). Most of them work fine, but I think 1 or 2 that I've tried freak out and display crap on the screen as the title. Doesn't bother me enough to try and figure it out...
Old 12-28-2004, 04:35 PM

I've got about 400 Cds. I've seen text titles on the Audioslave CD and on Aerosmith's Honkin on Bobo and that's about it.

Bob
Old 12-28-2004, 06:06 PM

Audioslave rocks!!!
Old 12-28-2004, 06:12 PM

the only CD that i have with CD text is incubus, and it isnt just the car, because i have two stereos at home with CD text as well
Old 12-28-2004, 06:22 PM

Take your CD, or MP3 files, use Roxio Easy CD Creater, use DISC AT ONCE option.....all will work for you and you can change the titles before the burn if you do not like them. I keep my original CD's in the house and burn a copy to MP3 for the computer with free rip, great program, archives my collection. Disc at once burn mode on Easy CD creator once checked....will hook you up.

For all you, check out a nice free program to take a CD and burn it to MP3 for backup...

freerip, do a search for it.

Second, with this program, easy to take all your CD's, burn them to your hard drive, and make any mix album you want, with CD text from a burner program, most come with Roxio. On a CDR, finalized, will work in your Max. When I buy a new CD, first thing I do is rip it into a MP3 on the computer for backup, than burn a copy with CD text so I can use it in the Max. Anyone can do this. Almost NO CD's....come with the CD text feature, kinda lame they do not, some do, but rare....but you can take all your old stuff and make any mix with the CD text on it....hell, if you want the text to read the songs as "Insert text here".....you know what I mean, you can. Hell, could even make a special tune that shows up on the display for your woman...
Old 12-29-2004, 12:38 PM

Is there a way to make the CD text scroll??? The RDS (data from radio stations) scrolls but my CD text does not, how silly!
Old 12-29-2004, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Smoke_Screen
The RDS (data from radio stations)scroll
Your radio stations info scroll, how?
Old 12-29-2004, 12:50 PM

They just do, I do not recall changing any settings. It may be that the stations you listen to do not broadcast a long title, but if your titles look truncated there is probably something in the datastream that makes it scroll (or update frequently to look like it is scrolling).
Old 12-29-2004, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Smoke_Screen
Is there a way to make the CD text scroll??? The RDS (data from radio stations) scrolls but my CD text does not, how silly!
RDS data from the radio doesn't scroll.. .they send a bunch of messages to trick you into thinking it does...

They'll send something like

Code:
| . . . . . H |
| . . . . H E |
| . . . H E L |
| . . H E L L |
| . H E L L O |
etc....

If that... most stations will just send out chunks instead of individual character changes per message.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:03 AM

Yeah, I get a half-line at a time - it's like I said "there is probably something in the datastream that makes it scroll (or update frequently to look like it is scrolling)."

|. . . . . . . H E |
|. . . H E L L O |
| E L L O T H |
|L L O T H E R|
|O T H E R E .|

They need to update that firmware because that would be a nifty feature if the CD text (or display in general) scrolled.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

This is great info. I have been ticked while working on this...So when you burn a CD you just type in the Text, is that correct?
Old 01-06-2005, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by shoresj
This is great info. I have been ticked while working on this...So when you burn a CD you just type in the Text, is that correct?
You could do that... whatever name you give the track is what should show up on the info screen.

If you use any software that will auto-retrieve the CD info from the web then it's much easier though...
Old 01-06-2005, 10:21 AM

I'm sure others have posted just about what im going to say... I burn a cd.. Text comes up fine... I guess its because the burning application tags the songs and cd... Original cds i ahve noticed just say "new track" and "new title"... try out a few burned cds.. give the cd an artist name/album name and name the tracks properly... it should be fine.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:46 AM

Up here in the north ( I'm in Montreal) we get an US station called 99.9 the Buzz. They are in to new stuff mostly rock...like Incubus. They display their call letters, the title of the song and the Artist. We have a news radio station that broadcasts the temp and any weather warnings too. A lot of station now post their call signs and station names too. I think it's cool and my friends get a real kick out of 99.9!
Old 01-12-2005, 08:26 AM

I've noticed that text will display correctly when I use Roxio to burn the CD's but have not been able to get it to display correctly when using MusicMatch. It is kind of odd, because on my Blaupunkt in another car I get text easily from both programs. I also see the text from many of my factory cds on the Blaupunkt which does not appear on the Max Bose.