6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Japanese Novelty Plate?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 06:52 PM

Japanese Novelty Plate?

Hey All...

Saw a Maxima today...white in color, here in Colorado Springs...either a 2004 or 2005...can't tell the difference, anyhow it had front Japanese plates and rear Colorado plates. I assume the front is novelty. Did some searching on the net...and they do sell them. Has anyone done this for their vehicle? Put on Japanese plate on the front? Now I did this with my VW Passat...put a German plate on the front...it made it more unique.

Anyhow...just curious if anyone has done this....later!

Jimbo
Old 01-03-2005, 07:52 PM
BigCat44

I was stationed at Kadena for a while and was thinking of bringing a plate back with me but the local dmv there take the plates with the cars and it is somewhat illegal to keep them. I know a guy i was stationed with there that is here (Kirtland) now and he has his Okinawa plate on the front of his Saturn. I like the euro ones a little better!! Just my .02

Old 01-03-2005, 08:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I believe states that allow one plate to be used can use a novelty plate.

My cousin lives in NY with florida plates, he has the fla plate on back and a sports novelty one in the front.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:16 PM

That would mean alot having a novelty plate from Japan, since our 6spds have the same exact shift ***** as the Nissan Skylines R34.
Skylines only produced in Japan is physically part of our 6gen Maximas.
I'm trying to figure out how to post some pics from my pictures folder, so everyone can see our shift ***** inside the Skyline.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:49 PM

In case any question remains, for states requiring only one tag, you can put anything you want up front. You might be ticketed if you put something obscene up, but everything else is OK.

Sometimes I put my 1961 Arizona license plate up front. The number on that plate was 'CBA-321', which is '123-ABC' backwards. I know; corny. But that is me.

I have most of my license plates from the 1950s until now. I have several personalized tags; one is 'UFO'. One is 'UNC' (for Univ of N.C.). I once had one that read 'SAUCER', but that was in a state where the tag stayed with the car when the car was sold.

I had 'PTD-666' for several years, and always told my Baptist friends it stood for 'Praise The Devil', and that the number '666' was important to devil worshipers. They probably think Methodists (like me) are satanic.

Most Maxima lovers don't like anything (like a tag) cluttering up the front of their car.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If i didn't have to legally have a front plate, i would be going with the clean no plate look.

Bob
Old 01-04-2005, 03:28 AM
BigCat44

I have an FSU mirrored plate on the front right now, I'll get some pics up when I get the Max back from the dealer..see (Leaks again) thread for more info!

Old 01-04-2005, 05:49 AM

Well...I understand the legalities of having a front plate...I never ran into a problem with my VW's I owned prior to the new Maxima I have. Since 1992, I've had a German plate on the front of my 86' Jetta, 97' Jetta, 2001.5 Passat and my last car, 2002 Passat. I actually had the Maryland State Patrol at a stop light ask me where I got the plate so they could get one for an old Porshe they were fixing up.

Either case, this is what I found on the net...as far as getting a Japanese novelty plate made the way you want to:

http://www.autoplates.com/prod029.htm

Later...

Jimbo
Old 01-05-2005, 04:27 AM

also have them on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=42611
Old 01-05-2005, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by SilverBelle04
If i didn't have to legally have a front plate, i would be going with the clean no plate look.

Bob

I'm like Bob, why would anyone want a japanese plate? If I didn't have to have both, then I would take that bracket off and leave it clean.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by mattlerose
I'm like Bob, why would anyone want a japanese plate? If I didn't have to have both, then I would take that bracket off and leave it clean.
Why would someone want to do mods on their car? Personal preference Mattlerose. Some people like putting a novelty plate on the front of their car...some like getting a plate that has something to do with the car itself...Japanese plate...Japanese car...German plate...German car...just comes down to personal preference...
Old 01-05-2005, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by MAJ_Jimbo
Why would someone want to do mods on their car? Personal preference Mattlerose. Some people like putting a novelty plate on the front of their car...some like getting a plate that has something to do with the car itself...Japanese plate...Japanese car...German plate...German car...just comes down to personal preference...
Aren't these cards made in America now for the most part? And your right, some have mods that I have no idea they would want and vice versa.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by mattlerose
Aren't these cards made in America now for the most part? And your right, some have mods that I have no idea they would want and vice versa.
The Nissan's sold here in the states are made in the U.S., but it's still a Japanese company and Japanese parts...Nissan's are made in France too and the main HQ is in Japan as noted below:

- Headquarters, Nissan Motor Co. Ltd., Japan
- Nissan Europe N.V. - France - (sales and production)
- Nissan North America Inc. - Torrance, California (sales and production)

I would assume they make them here as it would be a big cost savings to not ship the cars from Japan, as well as producing them in France for Europe....

Jimbo
Old 01-05-2005, 09:33 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

you can do that here in mass, but you got to have the "green" plate wich is the older version that only came with one. they now have the "red" number plates and if you have that one it comes in a pair, and both the front and back have to be on with screws . or somehow attached securely to the bracket. not behind the windshield on the bracket. its the law down here............ sux.........