6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

How hard is this going to be to remove?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 02:24 AM

How hard is this going to be to remove?

The dealer I bought my Maxima from apparently decided a sticker wasn't good enough, so they put a chrome badge on it with their name instead. I know the general consensus is to use blow dryers on the sticker emblems and such. I'm a little afraid to try removing this one that way though, because of how close they put it to the "MAXIMA" badge. See?

Is there any safe way to remove this badge?
Old 01-16-2005, 02:51 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Should be ok with the hair dryer and dental floss (waxed).
Old 01-16-2005, 03:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Just shoot the air in a downwards motion from the top of the badge and you'll be okay. Fishing line is stronger than the floss but either one should work for you.

Bob
Old 01-16-2005, 08:32 AM

Just remove the Maxima emblem as well. If you must have the Maxima emblem, heat gun/blow dryer should still be ok. The adhesive will loosen once heated, but as long as you leave the letters on the Maxima alone, it'll stay once it cools.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:55 AM

haha edify, i like that picture...

heat gun and dental floss should work like semy2k2 said... just dont rip it off, once heated it should come off very easy
Old 01-16-2005, 02:34 PM

Who wants to advertise for the dealership for free anyways?????????????
Old 01-16-2005, 02:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Use the blowdryer. I have taken off aquite a few badges. There is no way in hell its gonna affect ur Maxima logo. Besides, why do u want the Maxima logo on there anyway. You know what it is and so does everyone else?
Old 01-16-2005, 04:41 PM

The dryer should work, but if you don't wanna mess with it you're well within your right to take it back to the dealership and tell them to take it off. If you didn't ask for it, it shouldn't be on the car.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:26 PM

Not many dealers even do those anymore. At least around here. They seem content to just install license plate frames with their name on it ... much cheaper for them. I always used to tell them NOT to put those badges on during make-ready, but a few put them on as soon as the car hit their lot.

Mike
Old 01-16-2005, 08:04 PM

Yeah, mine has a really thin sticker that I've been thinking about taking off, but I don't think I can get the floss behind it... can you just use the blow drier on the stickers, and do they come off easily? I should have asked them to not put it on before I bought it...
Old 01-16-2005, 08:07 PM
SuPeRmOd

mine came right off in the summer. a little residue came off with alcohol. may be tougher in the cold. you'll be blow drying for awhile. use the same process for stickers. floss is good but not necessary.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:30 PM

I cannot believe the dealer stuck that abomination right up against the 'MAXIMA' logo. Also put it on 'off-center', and almost had one end off the edge of the trunk lid. Sort of turns the whole 'presentation' into a chromium conglomeration. Totally lacking in taste and style. Artistically pathetic.

I see you bought your Maxima used, as Bill Heard is a (very very big) Chevy dealer.

Other posters are correct in that you can still remove the 'Bill Heard' logo with blow dryer/floss/etc without disturbing the 'MAXIMA'. Even with the heat and floss, you will have to expend a little effort to remove the 'Bill Heard'. You would have to be trying to get the 'MAXIMA' logo off in order to budge it.

And try not to rub the painted surface too forcefully when cleaning it. There is no protective wax beneath the 'MAXIMA' logo, and may well be none under the 'Bill Heard' logo.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Not many dealers even do those anymore. At least around here. They seem content to just install license plate frames with their name on it ... much cheaper for them. I always used to tell them NOT to put those badges on during make-ready, but a few put them on as soon as the car hit their lot.

Mike
I think most dealers in Colorado do that. I've purchased 4 new vehicles, since I've moved to CO from CA, and I specifically mention that I do NOT want that on, and each time they have removed it for me when they are doing the post sale detail. Just be glad it is not drilled in. I had a relative tell me a story about a new car purchase and telling them they did NOT want the dealer "ad" on their car....well upon delivery of the vehicle, it was fine, however when they brought the car back for service one time, they came back and found one of the "screwed in" ads. I'm glad it wasn't me. This happened years ago in CA.....I know I would have been in an ugly legal battle if it was me.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by mm7759
I think most dealers in Colorado do that. I've purchased 4 new vehicles, since I've moved to CO from CA, and I specifically mention that I do NOT want that on, and each time they have removed it for me when they are doing the post sale detail. Just be glad it is not drilled in. I had a relative tell me a story about a new car purchase and telling them they did NOT want the dealer "ad" on their car....well upon delivery of the vehicle, it was fine, however when they brought the car back for service one time, they came back and found one of the "screwed in" ads. I'm glad it wasn't me. This happened years ago in CA.....I know I would have been in an ugly legal battle if it was me.
They don't do it at Academy Nissan...that's where I bought mine....

Jimbo
Old 01-17-2005, 12:16 AM

Thanks guys, I'll give removal a shot soon. I would've definitely asked them to take it off had I noticed it at the dealership. I was too engrossed in checking out the condition at the time I guess. Either that or they slapped it on during the detailing...I probably didn't look too hard that time (I was tired). It's a long ways to the dealers so I'll just take it off myself.

And light, you're right. It was bought used from Bill Heard...who is supposedly "the world's largest Chevy retailer". They treated me very well though, so other than the badge I can't complain. I'm really enjoying this car.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:14 AM

Mine came with no badges or liuscence covers. Thanks GOD!!!! Dude that is one of the uglier ones i have seen do you think it could be an bigger?
Old 01-17-2005, 09:24 AM

Wow I haven't seen one of those in a while.
I watched a friend of mine use rubber cement thinner a few years back and in didn't damage the paint at all. You can find it at an art supply store.
-Louis
Old 01-18-2005, 06:51 AM

Wow, that looks like crap! How can a dealer do that to a car?? I had a chrome dealer thing on the back. When I did the final check of the car and saw it, I made them remove it!
Old 01-19-2005, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
They seem content to just install license plate frames with their name on it ... much cheaper for them.
Apperently in GA there are laws that don't permit the license plate as they generally overlap the month/county/year stickers. Gwinnett police are one of the only ones that had ever pulled me over before when I used to drive my mom's camry in highschool. But since then I haven't seen too many dealer tag borders. I guess they got complaints about being pulled over.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:04 AM

Oh, And I had a sticker on mine that I just picked off of it. Got my fingernail under one corner and just pulled, then buffed off the rest of the glue.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:07 AM
is invisible

Yeah, dealer should do that for you...hell I even had them take out the pinstripes!
Old 01-19-2005, 07:35 AM

Bill Heard is one of the larger car retailers in the country... THey have a Chevy store in Sugar Land, Texas that is the largest retailer in the World for Chevy... lot of dealers around here have stopped the "tagging" of cars. Sewell puts it on their cars, but their letters look classy. Also, as long as you have the tag on there you can go to the dealership on Saturday mornings and run the car through a touchless car wash for free. You have to have the Sewell name on it though.