6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

"battery isnt the problem"

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 12:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

"battery isnt the problem"

That has been my quote for the past 3 times iv been to the dealership. My 04 max is the worst car i have ever had and its only been 24k miles. My max hasnt started 5 times in the past 6 months. the first time i brought it in they found no problem since i had to jump the car to bring it in. the second time i had the car towed in and they told me it was the battery and replaced it which was pro-rated so i had to pay some $. two days later the car didnt start again so again i had the car towed. that is were my car is right now and a call was made to Nissan asking what they should look at next. Now let me ask you. is the battery the problem? i dout youll say yes and i wont accept that answer from the dealership. looks like i may have a lemon suit here..

? why would you take it to different dealerships for the same problem. why incovience yourself because nissan professionals cant fix a problem. its already an incovience for the simple fact that the car has to be taken in to begin with. Also i have missed work due to the car not starting in the morning.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My car had 8400 miles on it and the battery was replaced. I don't know what to tell you. I would say bumper to bumper for 36k means just that. pro-rate on a battery? sounds fishy. I will look at my warranty again. Are you running a system in the car? How much power are you running if you are. You may need a new alternator or perhaps your intelligent power module is bad. there is a tsb out for that. Good luck
Old 01-18-2005, 06:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

so you dont think the battery is pro-rated?? hmmmm
im not running any kind of system everything is stock. everytime i bring it in they tell me all looks ok. they put a call into nissan and waiting for a call back to know what they should look into next.. what a dissapointment the car turned out to be.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:24 AM

No I meant you shouldn't pay for anything for the first 36k of ownership under the bumper to bumper warranty!

■ ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT BATTERY COVERAGE
The coverage period is 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever
comes first. A defective original equipment battery
which is unserviceable within the first 12 months and
36,000 miles will be replaced free of charge. After 12
months but within 24 months and 36,000 miles, you will
pay 50% of the replacement battery’s suggested retail
price plus any applicable taxes. After 24 months but within
36 months and 36,000 miles, you will pay 75% of the
replacement battery’s suggested retail price plus any applicable
taxes. Nissan will pay the rest, including all labor to
remove and replace the defective battery.
■ TOWING COVERAGE
If your vehicle is inoperative due to the failure of a warranted
part, towing service to the nearest authorized
Nissan dealer is covered for 36 months or 36,000 miles,
whichever comes first.
■ ADJUSTMENTS
Service adjustments not usually associated with the
replacement of parts, such as wheel alignment, are
covered only during the first 12 months or 12,500
miles, whichever comes first.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sounds almost like a 50 cent free refill on coffee.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:53 AM
SuPeRmOd

3/36 his it's exceptions of "normal wear and tear". wipers, tires, brakes, and usually batteries. Some may give limited on each, and different dealers have the discretion on which they will replace.

It can't be the battery. My novice guess is the altenator. They're giving you trouble? I would have Advance Auto or Auto Zone check it out. Call Nissan yourself.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Verdict is:

the module for the auto light is bad and needs replacing. Also needs another battery which this one was only 3 days old. Apparently my lights stay on after the car is off. the thing is every time the car hasn’t started was in the garage so i have never noticed the lights staying on in any parking lot. well see how this works, and if it doesnt Nissan will be getting a call. Then it will be the 4th time the car has to be brought in.

So the second time i went in they thought the battery was bad, which i had to pay $38 for. since the battery wasnt the problem and could have been kept shouldnt i ask for my money back?
Old 01-19-2005, 08:57 AM

I would take it up with a nissan rep. Don't take no for an answer. They are replacing stuff and they don't know if that will fix the problem. You should not be forced to pay for experimentation with repairs. Granted they may come back and say that either way you would have had to replace the battery. It's a tough call, but be stuborn about it and don't let them not offer you something for your troubles. Go look at the sticky labeled complaints/lemon for what you should do/who to call.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

what if the car is 1year 7months old with 25k miles? my understanding for what i have read is that its not a lemon if its past 12k or 1 year from the time of delivery.?
Old 01-19-2005, 09:43 AM

You still can follow those steps and complain about it. You cannot claim a lemon if the problems started after a year or 12k miles in most states. lookup your local state laws. If things get bad look for a lemon law lawyer. They will be the best jusdge if you have a legit claim or not. I would send out emails to higherups at Nissan and try to get some answers/compensation for your hassles. I wish you lots of luck b/c you call pull your own teeth easier. If you have other major issues with the car that have not been resolved you may have a legit case. If this is the first major problem you have had I would be happy that it's not a huge deal like struts or the shimmy. $40 for the battery is debateable if it was a necessary replacement or not. Read through your manual carefully and understand what is covered and what is not. Know what to expect with some problems and how much of it will be covered. Simply put do your homework.

Call Nissan and be calm with them yet firm. Perhaps they can arrange for some free oil changes or something for the trouble. That should make up for your time and $40 for the battery. Ask the dealer too. Explain to him that the battery was not defective and you had to pay for it. Ask for your battery back or your money back since the battery was not the issue. That's the best advice I have for you. Good luck.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

oh i already have had a right front strut replaced, a while ago.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You should ask the dealer or shop to check the stater solenoid. After 400 miles on my 04 max I ran into the same problem you have. The dealer took two days to figure out what the problem was and then a week passed before it arrived from some warehouse in Japan. Well a have not had a problem since the item was replaced.