6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Lowering Springs..?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 12:20 AM
jonniewaka

Lowering Springs..?

if anyone got the lowering springs done from eibach..was it a hard job to do??how much was the labor cost??any info??handling wise??pros and cons??warranty?

Old 01-19-2005, 02:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I’m a huge fan of the Eibach springs; I have had them on several cars including my A4 which I had b4 the Max; I am having the Max lowered this ( or next ) week from a place in South FL called California Customs, the total cost including the alignment was just over $600.00. its probably a little over priced, but these guys have a great reputation and they know what they are doing, that’s worth the extra money.

GET YOUR CAR LOWERED AND ALIGNED AT A CUSTOM SHOP!!!!!

As far as handling, I had a mustang and the Audi, both with Eibach’s the ride was just perfect… not so stiff that you felt every bump in the road, but tight enough that the steering response was, especially around corners, noticeably improved… in my opinion, you can’t go wrong.

Warranty is a good questions, if you go to eibach.com I’m sure you can find that info..
Old 01-19-2005, 07:49 PM
*moderator*

I've always been told by dealerships that the warranty is only voided on the suspension, but if something else happens and it was caused by the car being lowered you could run into problems.
I was just running all of my cars through my head and I've never had a car with stock suspension, I have some kind of addiction!!
3 raised trucks, 1 lowered and 2 lowered cars...
Old 01-19-2005, 08:15 PM
jonniewaka

do you have to get it alligned and does it cost like 600 bucks..?i was thinking 160 for install nearby ..not alinged..did every pay for allinging there car too or only install..prices?

Old 01-19-2005, 08:22 PM

Took me about five hours and I was taking my time with no air tools & hoist.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:27 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Springs you can probably install at home. Air tools help alot. Make sure to get an alignment but I say drive around maybe for a week for your springs to settle first.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:58 AM
BigCat44

Do the springs yourself if you have access to a lift, really easy to do job and no you don't have to do a wheel alignment if you don't want to.

Old 01-20-2005, 06:17 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

Originally Posted by BigCat44
Do the springs yourself if you have access to a lift, really easy to do job and no you don't have to do a wheel alignment if you don't want to.
You don't need a lift. You can just use jacks at home.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:53 PM
jonniewaka

some body in my town try doing oil change at home with a jack and killed himelf instanly..the jack came down on him while changing his oil filter.s

Old 01-20-2005, 04:36 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Originally Posted by jonniewaka
some body in my town try doing oil change at home with a jack and killed himelf instanly..the jack came down on him while changing his oil filter.s
That's his fault. We all know we are not suppose to go under the car w/ a jack alone. You are suppose to use supports. Plus, you don't need to go under the car when you are doing suspension work
Old 01-20-2005, 04:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

btw whoever is getting eibach lowering springs..are you getting struts too?
Old 01-20-2005, 06:43 PM
BigCat44

Originally Posted by Ammi
You don't need a lift. You can just use jacks at home.
It's a lot easier to drop all the wheels and do it on a lift, not that you need a lift but waaaaayyy more convenient. Also I'm pretty sure you need a spring compressor though this was used on a previous car not the Maxima. I wouldn't see how anything would be different.

Old 01-20-2005, 06:52 PM

It's a lot easier to drop all the wheels and do it on a lift, not that you need a lift but waaaaayyy more convenient. Also I'm pretty sure you need a spring compressor though this was used on a previous car not the Maxima. I wouldn't see how anything would be different.
You don't need a spring compressor, just loosen the center bolt before the other 4. It will compress itself, you will hear a poping sound. After that loosen the 4 bolts and your good to go.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:55 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

All I'm saying is that if you got access to a lift and powertools, great but most of us don't have access to them but it can still be done at home; it will just take longer. I did mine at home but took me like 5-6 hours since I didn't have power tools. Most time consuming was compressing springs w/ a rachet!
Old 01-20-2005, 08:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How much does a garage charge for changing the springs? It may be worth letting them do it if its not much. Course I do my own work but I have power tools and a compressor, but no lift.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:52 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
How much does a garage charge for changing the springs? It may be worth letting them do it if its not much. Course I do my own work but I have power tools and a compressor, but no lift.
Anywhere between $80 - $200 I hear. $80 isn't that bad but most of the places I called wanted $150.

I just like to work on my car so time goes by really quickly. It's fun but if you are pushing for time, maybe it's better if you have a shop do it
Old 01-21-2005, 07:07 AM
Maxima of the Month Winner

Originally Posted by serpentkilla
You don't need a spring compressor, just loosen the center bolt before the other 4. It will compress itself, you will hear a poping sound. After that loosen the 4 bolts and your good to go.
Bzzzzzz! WRONG!! You do need to use spring compresser on the front struts. Trying to remove the springs without a compresser could result in injury (or death). The stock springs are compresssed and are under tremendous pre-load. They are held on the strut assembly by one nut that threads on to the end of the strut shaft.

You remove the strut by first taking out the two large bolts at the bottom, then remove the three nuts at the top of the strut tower. Once you have the strut/spring assembly out, you can use the spring compresser to dissassemble the rest of the unit. Do not remove the nut on the end of the strut shaft untill the spring compresser is in place.

You're welcome.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by NAGADOIT

they arent under THAT much compression!
To your Mama: Yes they are.

You will need to compress the stock springs a good 2 inches before they can be removed from the strut. I know this from experience: I installed the Eibachs on my car.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:00 AM

I live in Detroit and our roads are so bad that I am considering a 3" lift kit anyone tried this yet
Old 01-21-2005, 10:13 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by 04RedOpMax
To your Mama: Yes they are.

You will need to compress the stock springs a good 2 inches before they can be removed from the strut. I know this from experience: I installed the Eibachs on my car.
listen to this member here, he has done the unthinkable to this car. just look at his home page. I love what he has done. and I'm considering those mufflers as well also.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:08 AM

Hey Tek-Niq, Thanx for the "ups".
Here's a link to my site, if anybody is interested:http://www.cardomain.com/id/04redopmax

The thing I want to stress is safety. Be smart when you are working on your car. Always use jack stands to support the car when you are working under it or even near it. If you don't have the proper tools or equipment to work on struts, get a pro to do it.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by 04RedOpMax
Bzzzzzz! WRONG!! You do need to use spring compresser on the front struts. Trying to remove the springs without a compresser could result in injury (or death). The stock springs are compresssed and are under tremendous pre-load. They are held on the strut assembly by one nut that threads on to the end of the strut shaft.

You remove the strut by first taking out the two large bolts at the bottom, then remove the three nuts at the top of the strut tower. Once you have the strut/spring assembly out, you can use the spring compresser to dissassemble the rest of the unit. Do not remove the nut on the end of the strut shaft untill the spring compresser is in place.

You're welcome.
I'm not gonna get into a pissing contest with you, i say you don't need a compresser and you dont. If you lossen that one bolt first without lossining the 2 on the bottom, where is the spring gonna go? If you try this with the strut assembly out of the car then your asking for it. I've done this numerous of times once with the compresser but that s*** took to long. You have your methods and i have mine. Don't act like you know it all.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Automonjama
I live in Detroit and our roads are so bad that I am considering a 3" lift kit anyone tried this yet
I hope you're joking????
Old 01-22-2005, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by SSurfer
I hope you're joking????
I almost said the exact same thing yesterday but held back my comment. I really wanna know if this guy is serious.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think he's just being sarcastic about Detroit road conditions.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:13 PM
BigCat44

Yeah I am kind of spoiled living on base and all, we have a garage called the Auto Hobby Shop. They have them at most bases and you can rent the bays or lifts or paint bays and do all of your own work. The have licensed mechs running around helping but most of the time they do free-lance work to make some extra money! I have used a spring compressor everytime because that spring is under very heavy loads and even if you yourself stay safe, something about physics just makes me not want to put that much strain on one bolt and the tech manual doesn't specify any deviation in the removal or replacement of the springs.

Old 01-22-2005, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by serpentkilla
I'm not gonna get into a pissing contest with you, i say you don't need a compresser and you dont. If you lossen that one bolt first without lossining the 2 on the bottom, where is the spring gonna go? If you try this with the strut assembly out of the car then your asking for it. I've done this numerous of times once with the compresser but that s*** took to long. You have your methods and i have mine. Don't act like you know it all.
Have you actually used your dumb-a$$ method on a real car, say a 2004 Maxima? You may have gotten away with not using a spring compresser on some little ricey Honda or Toyota, but I guarantee it will not work on a bigger car with heavy duty springs.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:34 AM

Ok pops, why don't you go and rest your old ***. How can you sit there bash me about something you've never done. Just drop the ****, cuz this is not helping the original poster and i don't want to get of on the wrong foot with you. I don't even know you. Later mr know it all
Old 01-23-2005, 08:37 AM

Oh and i have done it on mazda's, maxima's, mustangs but no toyota or honda, sorry.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Okay guys...everybody's points have been made.......time to move on to something more constructive !

Thanks,

Bob
Old 01-23-2005, 10:11 AM
*moderator*

OK, everybody stop take a deep breath and count to ten...OK now go argue in PM mode!!!