6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Question about LCD screen output - ? cell phone ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 06:40 PM

Question about LCD screen output - ? cell phone ?

As I was cleaning up the Maxima, specifically the LCD screen, I couldn't help to notice there was a block of information under the thermostat. Information that has never illuminated before. Was it?? Yes it was what appeared to be a phone with a line crossed through it, ROAM, and antenna strength meter.. To my surprise I'm very interested in knowing if Nissan is hooking up phones somehow to the Maxima -- much like the Acura TL does with Bluetooth technology. Does anyone have any insight to this? Is this a Infiniti thing?
Old 01-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Good question.....
Old 01-23-2005, 08:13 PM

This came up before... don't remember who it was, but someone posted a picture with all the icons illuminated, and there was a phone icon there, like there was a phone kit available or something.

I don't think anything ever came out of people digging for info... probably some non-US option on the car, or something for the future. I know there doesn't seem to be a connection anywhere for a phone kit, and most importantly, there doesn't seem to be an OEM kit for the Maxima.

Since the car shares that screen with some other Nissans, maybe it's something available for another car?
Old 01-24-2005, 04:53 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

here you go:

Old 01-24-2005, 05:17 PM

Noice! Thanks Tek!
Old 01-24-2005, 06:42 PM
SuPeRmOd

I think we concluded that the unused icons are either used on the Murano, an Infinity, or maybe later models of the 6th gen. For all we know maybe a model overseas has our display with more features?
Old 01-24-2005, 06:51 PM

It sure would have been nice to integrate a phone, any phone, into the Maxima. I know the whole Acura TL and Nissan Maxima has been played out with all pros and cons of each. However I do spend a lot of time on the cell, so there is a safety and not to forget a usefulness to having a handsfree system packaged into the car. I know I'll eventually have to look into an alternitive solution.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:59 PM
SuPeRmOd

my max has handsfree:
plug power into phone in top shelf of armrest (using hole provided in shelf). plug earpiece in (using 2nd hole provided in console). close lid...
handsfree.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
my max has handsfree:
plug power into phone in top shelf of armrest (using hole provided in shelf). plug earpiece in (using 2nd hole provided in console). close lid...
handsfree.
Yeah, there is that way to.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
I think we concluded that the unused icons are either used on the Murano, an Infinity, or maybe later models of the 6th gen. For all we know maybe a model overseas has our display with more features?
What's really interesting is that middle icon though... obviously you have a phone with the optional line crossing it on the left -- probably to use when the phone is not connected or something. The far right is the signal, but the middle... that's the good one. It's obviously some kind of voicemail business... means that the phone is truly integrated into the car, and that it knows when you have messages or when you're roaming. To me at least it means that the car is not just used as a basic speakerphone, but that it's more integrated than that... probably along the lines of the HandsFree setup in other cars.

Of course, that will probably mean that a kit (if it even exists) will cost serious cash. To hook up a phone to my other car I'd have to get a PSE and compensator, in addition to the phone and craddle -- and the car was already pre-wired for it (antenna, mic and HU connection).

I suppose we can dig around the Murano/Infiniti specs and see if they offer some kind of phone kit for them and see how much work it'd take to get it mixed into a Maxima. Of course, that Nissan doesn't offer it even as an option (yet) sucks all kinds of ***.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:32 AM

has anybody taken out the screen and found any other hook ups back there? where are the members that have done the screen by the shifter mod......
Old 01-25-2005, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
here you go:

hey! that's cool! how did u do that??? which buttons did u press to show those things??? Thanks!
Old 01-25-2005, 12:28 PM

has anybody taken out the screen and found any other hook ups back there? where are the members that have done the screen by the shifter mod......
I've taken out mine, and there's only the connector for the data cable that links to the car. But I'd imagine that if there's a phone kit it would be just like the HU... there'd be a separate cable for it along the harness somewhere... and the car takes care of interfacing it with the screen -- much like you don't see a connector on the screen for the radio, climate controls, etc... it's just a display unit that shows you what's going on.

My guess is that this mystical phone kit connects somewhere along the bus and the (probably also non-existent) PSE takes care of talking to the phone and relaying info such as caller ID and what-not to the info screen.

Keep in mind that most cars that support phone kits come with some sort of dial pad though... I know that the pad in my CLK that I use to change radio presets also doubles as a dialing pad -- you need numbers 0..9, plus * and # to effectively use a phone in a car (unless you only dial presets). The Maxima doesn't have this anywhere... the presets for the radio/CD are only 1..6, so you needed to dial somewhere and all you had was the number (but not an entry in your phone), you probably couldn't do it. This is the reason why I think this is some kind of optional thing either in another car that shares the screen or down the road in the Maxima -- definitely not the '04 or '05 models.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by joemax1
hey! that's cool! how did u do that??? which buttons did u press to show those things??? Thanks!
I got the pic from another thread, I didn't get it to do this. it might be a simulator pic from a nissan site or so........
Old 01-25-2005, 12:49 PM

Anybody know how to follow up on this: http://www.carpages.co.uk/nissan/nis...echo=899415237

?