6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Straighten Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 12:26 PM

Straighten Steering Wheel

Anybody know how to straighten the steering wheel?
The alignment is straight, but the wheel is tilted to the left a little.
I want to try myself if it's not too much trouble before taking it to a shop.
Thanks
Old 01-25-2005, 02:38 PM
Maxima of the Month Winner

You say the alignment is straight, but how do you know? Did you have the front end aligned recently?

The only thing I know of that could cause the steering wheel to not "center" or be tilted is the front end is not aligned correctly or you have hit something (maybe a curb or pothole) and knocked the front end out of whack.

Once you have the front end properly aligned, the steering wheel will return to it's true "centered" position.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:00 PM

The car has no pull. I have had an alingment done before on another car where the steering wheel was not set straight before adjustments were made and caused the steering wheel to remain off center. I took that car back, but in this case, I was just wondering if anybody knew how to adjust the steering wheel so that I could do it myself because it took the guy less than 5 minutes when I took my previous car back.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

With older cars you used to be able to pull the steering wheel and put it back on straight. The shaft had multiple splines that the steering wheel would fit into to allow adjustment this way.

However with airbags in the steering wheel I would be hesitant to do ANYTHING like that.

Also the tie rod ends can be adjusted to put the steering wheel back into a centered position. An extra turn on one side, and one turn less on the other will end up turning the steering wheel slightly without changing the alignment. Usually the tech knows this and makes sure everything is aligned before the car goes out the door. Sometimes the wheel does end up a degree or two off, no matter how its adjusted.

If you've had it aligned recently take it back to the shop that performed the work. If you haven't had it aligned recently its time to bring it somewhere. Changes in alignmentare usually the cause of the steering wheel changing positions. You may not notice the alignment change while driving but why take the chance and have your tires wear funny. If the car is very new the dealer likely won't even charge you for the service.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:49 PM

Check out a few pages back for my "Loose Rack" thread. I too am having this issue. It's bad enough that Nissan is sending a DTS out to fix my car. I will let you know what they do to fix it.

The problem is that the steering rack is loose and needs to be re-tightened. Good luck with that though. My problem keeps coming back thus the above comment. I will post more on this next week when I come back from vacation.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:22 AM

My wheel is also pointed to the left a bit (about 5 degrees?).. could this be tied to a steering rack issue? I just dropped my car off for the shimmy (and a vibrating/rattling hood that doesn't quite latch ???), I guess I should have mentioned this too...
Old 01-27-2005, 08:17 PM

Monotaur - we need more info. What's on the odo? Have you had an alignment? If this 'left-lean' is constant, I would not suspect the steering rack.

There are a few alignment shops that are careful to get the wheels lined up exactly to specs, but forget to make sure they do it with the steering wheel centered.

Also, almost all two lane roads (one lane in each direction), and some four lane roads are 'crowned' (sloped from centerline to edge in order to drain water), which can require that one turn the wheel very slightly to the left in order to hold a straight line.

This is easily checked; when in a fairly deserted area, ease across the centerline into oncoming lane(s). If your wheel is still sort of off to the left when you are travelling straight, you most likely need to have the car aligned with the steering wheel straight. An expert can probably fix this by adjusting only the tierod ends.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:21 PM

Thanks for the reply. That answers my question, it's not a simple process that I can do at my house. I'll have the shop redo the alignment so I don't have to worry about it. There are a lot of places that offer a lifetime alignment service for about the price of two alignment jobs. With the increasing number of road hazards around atlanta, i guess that'll be a good investment.