6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Plastic flexing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 04:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Plastic flexing?

Anyone hear the sound of plastics flexing? It only sounds near the door and dash area. It is rather annoying since the car sounds as if it is falling apart. I called the dealer and they say it may or may not be covered in the warranty to cover the cost of removing all kinds of things to locate the problem. It pretty much sounds like 2 plastics rubbing each other whenever I do anything in the car, especially when I turn or open the door. If anyone has an idea on how to fix this or where exactly it is please let me know.

thank you for reading.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:23 PM

I have all sorts of creaking sounds when the car is cold. Comes from the dash, door and seat. After the heater is going for awhile, they all stop. Sometimes the center console doors won't open when it's real cold too.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well mine creaks all the time no matter if its hot or cold. But its only in that section between the door and dash .
Old 01-26-2005, 01:10 AM

my drivers side air vent creaks, started recently
Old 01-26-2005, 06:00 PM

Having read this thread last night, I paid particular attention while driving today, and never heard a single creak, scrape, snap or pop anywhere. Not even while crossing railroad tracks.

Of course, it was a sunny balmy 68 degrees here, and things might be different when we have very cold weather. Our high Sunday was 30 degrees, and we had 12 degrees on the thermometer Monday morning, but I wasn't paying attention to any possible noises at that time. I will report here if I ever hear the noise described in the thread-starting post.

kenttz - if the noise is on the passenger side, you might have someone try to isolate it as you drive.

If on your side, find a place where the car will be put in a twist (like crossing a culvert at a sharp angle), and move slowly across it. If you hear the noise, drive through again with the door ajar and see if that changes anything.

If you can still hear the noise, try holding, mashing, pressing, etc, on different pieces as you repeat the 'twist' crossing. With some research, you might be able to narrow the problem to one piece, in which case either you or the dealer should be able to fix it without too much trouble.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had a creeking sound coming from the passanger front side between what sounded like the dash and front door. It turned out to be the rubber piece in the lower corner of the windshield. The dealer sprayed a little silicon between the windshild and the rubber piece and it hasn't been back since.