6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Opinion.. scam?/?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 10:55 AM

Opinion.. scam?/?

it is not like i do not trust ppl... but sometimes i get a little cautious about buying things from ppl over the phone.. so here it is..

i put out a search of recycling yards to find me some HID maxima headlights.. get a few replies and a phone call.. call the guy back... seems to be on the up and up... tells me he has the left and the right for 350 a piece... i think this is a rather good deal.. but i wanted to get some figures in order before i went to buy them...

i call him back the next day to ask about the condition and warrenty.., things like that.. said 60 days for the warrenty and the lights are mint.. so again i think this does not sound too bad... he then tells me that he hardly gets them in and that he ahs them priced to sell.. so i am thinking that if i wnat these i should jump on them,...

i tell him i will call him today with my decision.. so like a good salesman he calls me.. nothing wrong with that... i like someone that is interested in my business.. i told him that my money situation was a bit off right now and that the price was too high.. he talks with the sales manager and gives me a price of 300 a piece..

now i am thinking this is an even better deal.. but then i start to wonder about this.. he said they were a hot item.. so if they are wanted by so many then why sell them to me cheaper... or even call me back to see if i want them...

i mean i hate to not trust ppl.., but it is hard when the recycling yard is a few states away... so it is not like i can just go there is there is a problem..

what do you ppl think.. think this is real.. or some scam...
Old 01-28-2005, 11:43 AM

Its a Scam!
Old 01-28-2005, 11:54 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

a member just bought a pair for 350 a piece, HID that is.... but I also don't like over the phone deals. he might know what he is talking bout, but then he might not.... is up to you if you wanna risk it...
Old 01-28-2005, 12:16 PM

i do not know... i like the xenon look... but i do not feel 100% on making deals over the phone for products that are not brand new... with a company that i have never heard of..

i guess for now i will stick with the halogens.. the more i think about it, the less i think i want to spend the money to get the HIDs..

the real OEM pieces cost $$$ and the aftermarket kits are not always reliable... i think i will keep the Max stock for the most part and dump money into my bike... having too many toys is not easy on the wallet
Old 01-28-2005, 12:19 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by homerjay4242
i do not know... i like the xenon look... but i do not feel 100% on making deals over the phone for products that are not brand new... with a company that i have never heard of..

i guess for now i will stick with the halogens.. the more i think about it, the less i think i want to spend the money to get the HIDs..

the real OEM pieces cost $$$ and the aftermarket kits are not always reliable... i think i will keep the Max stock for the most part and dump money into my bike... having too many toys is not easy on the wallet
you can do so much more with $700 to the car other that to get HID anyways. like sway bar, strut bar, intake, y pipe, eibach springs ect. ect.

is not like you can't see at all right..........
Old 01-28-2005, 03:39 PM
BigCat44

Funny you should start this topic, get this. (not to thread jack) I have been looking for a full size Blazer or Jimmy for a little while and I found a pretty good deal on Ebay. I decided before I were to bid since the item is in NJ and I am in NM I would like to ask the guy some questions to find out why it's selling so cheap. Guy seems real nice but starts trying to sell me another truck on the phone. I decided to bid but with a lot of caution and not bid too high since I would have to fly out there on a one way and drive the rig back. I started to think maybe I shouldn't do this because something just didn't seem right and I didn't want to get out there and for the truck to suck but I am now stuck with it. So I got out-bid and right away I get an email from another ebay member. When I called the guy on the phone (seller) he told me another guy had bought it but due to snow couldn't pick it up and wanted his deposit back. The guy that emailed me was the guy that had bought it almost 2 months ago and said the seller never met him at the airport and the address was not the location of the vehicle so he had to buy return tickets to get home..now the seller has his money..I'm glad I didn't get on that ride!!

Old 01-28-2005, 04:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think that the $300 each is too high. You can get a better deal yourself off Ebay. Like Tek-Niq said, another member got them for $350 for the pair. That seems to be about the right price. They're going for between $300-400/pair usually.

CM
Old 01-28-2005, 08:38 PM

you have to see the condition from the ones on ebay. most have the plastic tabs broken off.

300 a headlight is good (if the headlight is in great shape)

can you go down to the junk yard to see it?

of course they'll tell you its a hot item, they want you to jump on it, but at this time of year (after holidays, the snow in our area, people will sell anything to get some ca$h flow in)

see if u can check out the lights before buying. good luck
Old 01-29-2005, 05:29 AM

If someone was to buy a set of HIDS from the junkyard/salvage yard what should they look for? I don't have the HIDS but I would like to get some and I have dealt with a salvage yard near by in the past.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by JayMAX22
If someone was to buy a set of HIDS from the junkyard/salvage yard what should they look for? I don't have the HIDS but I would like to get some and I have dealt with a salvage yard near by in the past.

Old 01-30-2005, 08:29 AM

yeah there is no way i can get there.. the place is in texas and i am in jersey.. plus when i checked them out on the BBB site i found that they were not member and there were a few complaints about them... i mean i take that with a grain of salt, but for me to spend that sort of money i would like to know that i can trust the company and that i will not have to deal w/ any BS...

i know 700 is a lot for lights, but since this is a lease i am looking to jsut do some cosmetic mods... the things i have been toying w/ are tint, HIDs, grill.. maybe some subs... but w/ the tint it is illegal and i want to avoid drawing attention to myself...

the thing is i really like the HIDs and i want to get either OEM or aftermarket.. but w/ aftermarket i have heard good and bad.. some say their kits crapped out.. and for me to spend ~300 for the kit i want it to work...

who knows.. i think i am a$$ed out with the HID thing.... for now anyway...
Old 01-30-2005, 08:37 AM

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

I bought plenty from these salvage yards for various vehicles and have had great success in doing it. All of them will refund your money if you are not happy or the item is a dud.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:40 AM

correction

HTTP://www.car-part.com
Old 01-30-2005, 11:31 AM

that is the site where i found the headlights....