6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

What Type Of Oil From Factory?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 06:59 PM

What Type Of Oil From Factory?

I was wondering if anyone knew what is the Brand and grade of oil that is used as the factory fill for the 2005 Maxima?
Old 01-28-2005, 08:46 PM

I can't answer as to the brand. In fact, Nissan may use more than one brand. They may contract with the lowest bidder, and a different oil company might get the contract each time.

That might sound sort of haphazard on Nissan's part, but Nissan knows there is not a great difference between any of the major brand's dino oils.

As to the grade, I would bet the house it is the same 5W-30 they recommend for every Maxima. I think the days of special 'breakin' oils are gone.

The grade is not sacrosanct. If I changed my own oil, I would probably go with Castrol GTX 5W-30 in the winter and either Castrol GTX 10W-30 or 10W-40 in the summer. Mixing brands is not a problem, but I would not mix grades.

Somewhere between 20K and 70K (probably around 40K or 50K) I would switch to a synthetic such as Mobil 1.

It is important to check the oil level fairly frequently in a new car. Engines tend to use a little more oil until they are fully broken in and all engine parts have become properly seated.

But I am rambling here . . .
Old 01-28-2005, 09:05 PM

Rambling? No way!

Lightonthehill has the knowings of many things!! I base my Maxima practices on his teachings!

I use Castrol 5W30 year round. Will switch to synthetic when Nissan recommends. As long as Lightonthehill concurs.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:15 PM

NIKV69 - Each year, Lightonthehill gains precious little knowledge. But when the driving years span from the 1940s to the 'oughts' (or whatever this first decade of the third millenium is called), the pitiful (and sometimes misguided or obsolete) gleanings begin to accumulate.

And in cases where knowledge is sadly lacking, a great imagination seems to work well for me . . .
Old 01-29-2005, 07:21 AM

Driving since the 40's? You must be the oldest guy here! even older than the other oldfart!
Old 01-29-2005, 07:23 AM

Light rules!
Old 01-29-2005, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I can't answer as to the brand. In fact, Nissan may use more than one brand. They may contract with the lowest bidder, and a different oil company might get the contract each time.

That might sound sort of haphazard on Nissan's part, but Nissan knows there is not a great difference between any of the major brand's dino oils.

As to the grade, I would bet the house it is the same 5W-30 they recommend for every Maxima. I think the days of special 'breakin' oils are gone.

The grade is not sacrosanct. If I changed my own oil, I would probably go with Castrol GTX 5W-30 in the winter and either Castrol GTX 10W-30 or 10W-40 in the summer. Mixing brands is not a problem, but I would not mix grades.

Somewhere between 20K and 70K (probably around 40K or 50K) I would switch to a synthetic such as Mobil 1.

It is important to check the oil level fairly frequently in a new car. Engines tend to use a little more oil until they are fully broken in and all engine parts have become properly seated.

But I am rambling here . . .

Thanks fpr your informative reply on this. I have always been a picky person when it comes to oil and have never been a big advocate of synthetics myself. Previous experience with synthetics has not been good at al including two engines eventually failing to early damage such as crank bearing and such. I know of all the molecular benefits of synthetics and how uniform their molecules are in comparison to dino oils but I always have changed my oil using dino and about every 2k max regardless. Never had a single engine problem over the years doing this. I persoanlly like your reccomendation of Castrol GTX 5W-30 which I currently use in my other cars. I think I will stick to dino based oils myself. One question though, I see you mentioned possibly switching over to synthetics around 70k or so and wanted to ask why? My understanding of synthetics are that the older the engine the more potential synthetics will leak past wearing parts / seals due to their smaller and more symetric molecules compared to dino oils. I would think just the opposite would be the desired approach using the synthetics in the early days and dino later. If anything what are your opinions on a synthetic blend?

Anyhow I appreciate your insight and now feel confident I will be using Castrol GTX 5W-30 in my new Maxima. Especially since your opinions on it are good and I see from reading these forums you are one really knowledgeable person.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:12 PM

Atomic_Ed -

I am not an oil expert, but I have seen where Nissan techs say the synthetic oils are so good they prevent the important process of having the engine parts wearing/adjusting very very slightly in order that they all fit together perfectly. The works for a longer, more efficient engine life. That is why they recommend waiting until at least 20K to go synthetic.

I would feel switching at 10K would also be acceptable, but I'm not a Nissan tech. I would NOT, however use synthetic before 10K.

Although your thoughts about the smaller molecules of synthetic oil are technically correct, I feel the quality and nature of that type oil works against this propensity for leaking.

Of course the primary purpose of switching to synthetic once an engine has lots of miles is because it virtually stops the progression of wear, enabling a longer engine life.

Having said all that, I ran an '85 Maxima 206K tough commuting miles on dino oil, and the engine was in great shape when I traded it.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Atomic_Ed -

I am not an oil expert, but I have seen where Nissan techs say the synthetic oils are so good they prevent the important process of having the engine parts wearing/adjusting very very slightly in order that they all fit together perfectly. The works for a longer, more efficient engine life. That is why they recommend waiting until at least 20K to go synthetic.

I would feel switching at 10K would also be acceptable, but I'm not a Nissan tech. I would NOT, however use synthetic before 10K.

Although your thoughts about the smaller molecules of synthetic oil are technically correct, I feel the quality and nature of that type oil works against this propensity for leaking.

Of course the primary purpose of switching to synthetic once an engine has lots of miles is because it virtually stops the progression of wear, enabling a longer engine life.

Having said all that, I ran an '85 Maxima 206K tough commuting miles on dino oil, and the engine was in great shape when I traded it.
Thanks again for the reply.
What you saying makes sense. I didn't think about the aspect of proper wear in the early stages being hindered by the slick properties of the synthetics. I know I have heard this before as well come to think of it. Also I agree the positive properties of synthetics do get outweighed by their potential to leak and absorb contaimination due to humidity and blowby much more than dino oils do. I think I will stick with the Castrol for the life of the car for sure and do the changes every 2k as I always do.

Thanks again for your opinions on this. I now have 600 miles on my 05 SE and wanted to figure out my oil selection game plan soon.