6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

More pics of my tinted tails and y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 10:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

More pics of my tinted tails and y-pipe

http://photos.yahoo.com/markdobkin is my yahoo photo album of my car. I have more pics of the tinted tails plus my y pipe.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:02 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

Those tinted tails look great. They do a good job of setting the car off. You did a nice job on them.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:07 PM

Take some pics with the lights on, and with the brakes applied (at night).

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
http://photos.yahoo.com/markdobkin is my yahoo photo album of my car. I have more pics of the tinted tails plus my y pipe.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:24 AM

Ok, I just added 4 pics, one with tail lights on, and then the next with brake lights on. I tgried to get an accurate depiction of the actual light that is seen, since it will vary depending on the exposure of the camera. Trust me, the lights dont seem much dimmer than before they were tinted. Thats the beauty of it!!!
Old 01-30-2005, 11:09 AM

Hey Deus, lights look tight, the brightness wasnt affected much at all. Seems that you dont have to worry about getting rear ended and having some idiot state it was because of your tinted tail lights. Besides there IS a third brake light. Which reminds me...i was thinking of replacing that third break light assembly with an high intensity LED light bar. I just have to work out the fitting/wiring. They appear to be a ton brighter (similiar to what law enforcement use) and they look nice. They also come with various flashing patterns that i can use in cordination with my hazards if need be (probably asking for some jail time). Do you guys think it is a stupid idea...? This is what they look like.

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Ok, I just added 4 pics, one with tail lights on, and then the next with brake lights on. I tgried to get an accurate depiction of the actual light that is seen, since it will vary depending on the exposure of the camera. Trust me, the lights dont seem much dimmer than before they were tinted. Thats the beauty of it!!!
Old 01-30-2005, 02:57 PM

Check out my new pics I took this morning when I parked next to a Silver Maxima at COstco. Pulled out the cam and snapped 3 pics. You can see the difference in tinted vs. non-tinted lights as well as tinted windows and non tinted windows. Also note that I debadged the rear. Check em out. I love my ride, and I hope you do too.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:13 PM

So does the y pipe really give a big boost in power? Could you really feel it? With all the intakes its just been noise and I dont think they really do anything. Ive been waiting on headers but the y pipe is a good price and if it can give close enough gains then I might get it. is it any lighter than the stock unit? Sorry for so many questions.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:48 PM

Great questions. I wouldnt call it a big boost in power. I think its good for 10+ hp. I think its worth the 200 bucks. It is quite a bit lighter, guessing abt 10-15 pounds maybe? The stock pipe has quite a crimp in it. Thats why the y pipe works.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:13 PM

Hmm, I wish it gave the 20+ hp gains that cattman headers gives for the 5.5 gens. Did you install this yourself? Do you have any other mods on your car?
Old 01-30-2005, 07:53 PM

Installed it myself easily, with car on ramps. Did it while I changed the oil. U cant compare headers to a y -pipe. Headers should produce much more hp than a y pipe. Remember dollars/hp. Headers probably cost 3-4 times as a y pipe and may yield onlytwice the hp. Same with cat back. I think the y pipe and the CAI are the most efficient ways to spend ur hard earned dough. Of course there is the Supercharger that SR is suppsoedly developing. Hmmmm.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:54 PM

Installed it myself easily, with car on ramps. Did it while I changed the oil. U cant compare headers to a y -pipe. Headers should produce much more hp than a y pipe. Remember dollars/hp. Headers probably cost 3-4 times as a y pipe and may yield onlytwice the hp. Same with cat back. I think the y pipe and the CAI are the most efficient ways to spend ur hard earned dough. Of course there is the Supercharger that SSR is supposedly developing. Hmmmm.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:12 PM

I honestly had the injen and didnt feel any great gains. I went to berk but I had a small K&n filter so now im running a berk midpipe to my oem box with removed front snorkle and fender resonator. Im running a k&n panel filter in the oem box. It seems to have performed the best for me so far. I know I can scratch 3rd gear with my car in its present state but I dunno if other 04 guys can do that too?
Old 01-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Looks Good, what did you use to tint them? How was the quality? I would love to do this to my Maxima and my Mustang
Old 01-30-2005, 09:27 PM

Check my previous posts for more info, but I used tint from a model shop (Pegasus in Montclair, CA) and I used clear coat from PEP boys. U need 1000 and 1500 grit wet sand paper to wet sand it. Turned out even better in person.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:09 AM

looks nice. i regret getting silver when i see black cars with the "stealth" look. good job~
peter
Old 01-31-2005, 05:59 PM

Peter: Just remember, my car looks like crap one day after i wash it, cuz its black. Yours looks good for a long time. I do like the stealth look, especially with the tinted tails.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Glude
I honestly had the injen and didnt feel any great gains. I went to berk but I had a small K&n filter so now im running a berk midpipe to my oem box with removed front snorkle and fender resonator. Im running a k&n panel filter in the oem box. It seems to have performed the best for me so far. I know I can scratch 3rd gear with my car in its present state but I dunno if other 04 guys can do that too?
my cousin 6 speed been scratchin 3rd stock and with the injen intake. I personally feel it scratches second far harder with the intake but neva had space to switch to 3rd but have seen and heard him do it. He says he got a little scratch into 4th with stock intake but haven't with the injen . In my opinion his car is far faster with the intake, but i drove the car with under 1000 miles with stock intake compared to 40000miles with the injen intake. Other than that jus waitin for him to get enough money for the greedy catback since he don't want to install the y-pipe by itself (already got ce y-pipe in box). than i can tel if the y-pipe gave that huge diff i hear everyone sayin.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:49 PM

hey jus wondering where you bought the tint?
Old 01-31-2005, 07:04 PM

how would the same thing look on a 5th gen gxe? instead of leaving the circles...tinting it all a little good idea? i think i might do that instead since yours looks great
Old 01-31-2005, 07:05 PM

Yeah celica, Ive gone through a few intake setups. When I had my stock box I ran a 14.3@96.5 running on stock full tread tires and I know I had more than 1000 miles. The weather was during the day in the high 40s probably with low low humidity and somehow I hooked up great and got a miracle run that day. Pulled a 2.0 with the 14.3. But I did notice that I ran 2 14.7 with 2.4 60fts and one trapped 97. I ran my car at a supposedly slower track in similar weather but with not so great humidity once I got the injen. Best I could pulled was a 14.709@94 with a 2.3 60 ft. This was on 19s with falken fk451s, by the way those were wonderful tires. Anyways since then I havent come close to the 14.3 but im just assuming because of the weather. I have not been when it was a good weather day. I got some dunlop sp9000 recently on my stock 18s and im hoping to go back to the track soon. Hoping to run a 14.5 or better because I dont think il be pulling miracle 60fts very often. I figured with the y pipe and tuning the car could possibly run high 13s.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:57 PM

so hows the udp doin for u? my cousin also plans on gettin that in the summer. I hope me and him got to the track early april if it reopen by then before it gets to hot. but i must say that 04's even while spinnin tires pull like a monster , my 03 would sit still with the ****ty tires i got.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:55 PM

So does your friend own an 04 maxima 6 speed and you own an 03? Just curious whos quicker? Yeah when I was on stock RSAs I could spin all of 1st and 2nd. It sucks because I loose time there. With my new tires im not spinning near as much. Ive had the pulley for a while and its been one of my favorite mods performance wise. The greddy seems like it could have helped but I didnt feel a whole lot. I think I will get good power with the Y pipe though. Im about to upgrade my brakes soon with new rotors, pads, ss lines, and painted calipers. Also thinking about powdercoating my stock wheels while im at it.

Oh yeah I have a question for akaxmrxhammer, do you still have the koni fronts for sale? Sorry for getting this thread off topic Ive just been so curious about the y pipe and other performance mods for the max. I think the car has potential but theres not enough parts.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:59 PM

Very nice on the tails....Looks very good on a black maxi.