6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

One Headlight is Brighter Than The Other?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 07:41 PM

One Headlight is Brighter Than The Other?

Anyone!

I've posted this before, but I finally got to the dealership. Basically I have a 2005 Nissan Maxima SE with only 1201 miles on it. The driver's side headlight is brighter than the passenger side. I can see it in the reflection of vehicles I'm driving behind at night, I've had friends say it when I had them drive in front of me and now I took a pic of it as well. I took it to the dealer and they said, "there aligned, but one appears brighter than the other". They lowered the drivers side down to the lowest level and it's still brighter. I see the other headlight (passenger side) as a bluish white in the reflection of the back of a car I'm driving behind, and the driver's side as bright white.

Any suggestions? I'm going to take it back to the dealership again. Not sure what can be done if it has been lowered all the way. They said it might be the HID bulb...could it be? Any opinions would be great...I'm at loss on this one...thanks!

Jimbo
Old 01-31-2005, 07:54 PM
SuPeRmOd

all i can guess is that another member had a goof: one HID one halogen. also HIDs dim (don't burn out) when they "die".

I think they get orange when going out. you can't really go by reflections on other cars, try a store front window. I think you may have both types of bulbs.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MAJ_Jimbo
Anyone!

I've posted this before, but I finally got to the dealership. Basically I have a 2005 Nissan Maxima SE with only 1201 miles on it. The driver's side headlight is brighter than the passenger side. I can see it in the reflection of vehicles I'm driving behind at night, I've had friends say it when I had them drive in front of me and now I took a pic of it as well. I took it to the dealer and they said, "there aligned, but one appears brighter than the other". They lowered the drivers side down to the lowest level and it's still brighter. I see the other headlight (passenger side) as a bluish white in the reflection of the back of a car I'm driving behind, and the driver's side as bright white.

Any suggestions? I'm going to take it back to the dealership again. Not sure what can be done if it has been lowered all the way. They said it might be the HID bulb...could it be? Any opinions would be great...I'm at loss on this one...thanks!

Jimbo
Be careful with this. I have the same problem but I have one side of the High beam stuck in high and the other side in low. Try this, once the bulbs is cold pull up in front of a garage or something and play with brights on and off and see if it gets unstuck. Thats what I do with mine anyways and it works. Nissan still has a complete unti on backorder for me.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by ****yn
Be careful with this. I have the same problem but I have one side of the High beam stuck in high and the other side in low. Try this, once the bulbs is cold pull up in front of a garage or something and play with brights on and off and see if it gets unstuck. Thats what I do with mine anyways and it works. Nissan still has a complete unti on backorder for me.
****yn...I actually tried this and nothing happend as far as switching it between high and low. I also opened up the hood and checked out the 10mm bolt that adjusts it after a reading a few posts here. If the dealership said they adjusted to the lowest level, they Bull Sh**ted me, cause I was able to turn it counter-clockwise, or towards me as I'm leaning on the car (drivers side) and move the beam down about 2 inches, while the lights were on against my garage door. It seemed to make a bit of a difference. I guess what I'm wondering...are the 2005 Nissan Maxima's with the HID's (xenon) suppose to be a slight bluish when you see them like on other car's? Or just brighter?

I guess when I drive tomorrow morning I'll have a better idea how it looks. Now the adjuster I adjusted was moving it vertically...is there one that moves it horizontally?

Thanks for the comments guys...

Jimbo
Old 01-31-2005, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
all i can guess is that another member had a goof: one HID one halogen. also HIDs dim (don't burn out) when they "die".

I think they get orange when going out. you can't really go by reflections on other cars, try a store front window. I think you may have both types of bulbs.
Nismo...These are definitely xenon HID's...not one HID and one Halogen. A Halogen bulb does not warm up like a HID. When I turn on my lights, they warm up and get brighter over the course of 5 seconds or so. Pretty familiar with halogens. Good suggestion on a storefront or something. I just need to find a big a** mirror! Thanks!

Jimbo
Old 01-31-2005, 10:03 PM

For the first 1000 miles the dealer has to do minor adjustments to the car for free...I think it says that in the Warranty Manual. CHECK IT.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:16 PM

I have seen no lateral adjustment screw. But I don't think that enters into this problem.

While sitting in my fave pizza bistro watching the cars at a major intersection just outside the window, whenever I see a car coming toward me, turn to my left, and I see a flash of very blue light, I know before I see the side of the car it is a 6th gen Maxima. My wife also tells me she sometimes sees this flash of blue when I am driving behind her at night.

Although the left and right beams are focused slightly differently (as explained on many beam adjustment threads), there should not be a noticable difference in brightness between the two.

If shining the beams head-on on a uniform and flat surface with both beams on bright still shows a difference in strength, there is a problem. Block one beam at a time to be sure. Tell your service manager you have checked other 6th gen Maximas, and their headlights are the same strength. Tell him you find this variance in a new car unacceptable, and if he cannot equalize the beams, you want him to replace the right headlamp bulb. If that doesn't work, he should replace the whole assembly.

After all, this is a Maxima, not a Yugo.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm pretty sure that there is a lateral adjustment screw. If I recall its likely covered by a white opaque plastic cap. I never took the cap off, but it looks like it was the horizontal-lateral-yaw adjustment screw location.

CM.