6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

How to protect HID headlights from being stolen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 10:22 AM

How to protect HID headlights from being stolen?

I own a 2004 Maxi SL. A few days ago, I noticed in my neighborhood three other 2004/2005 SL models with empty spaces in the places where usually the headlights are. It turned out that the HID headlights were literally ripped out by thieves and what’s more entire area around the headlights (bumper, both fenders and the front of the hood) was heavily damaged. Apparently the HID from 2004/2005 models are getting popular among thieves, probably for the same reason as in case 2002/2003 models, except that for 2004/2005 models the removal is not that easy.

Anyway, that prompted me to re-consider the level of protection offered by the factory installed alarm. Clearly, it’s just a very, very basic solution and I wouldn’t even call it an alarm.

I am thinking either of upgrading the current system by adding some sensors (although I doubt the Nissan system is expandable) or installing a real alarm system, (most likely Clifford G5, as I heard some good things about them) with the dual-zone motion sensor. A friend of mine suggested that it’s possible to attach additional sensor to the headlights.

Here are my questions:
1. Any ideas which would be better solution (upgrade vs. new system)?
2. If I get the new alarm, what's going to happen to the factory installed security system?
3. What specific brand and model of the alarm would you recommend and what type of sensors/other protection should I get to make sure that the headlights are protected against being stolen?
4. Any good installation shop in Miami/Ft Lauderdale area you would recommend?

Thanks,
Mike075
Old 01-31-2005, 11:00 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Unless a would be thief can visibly see that there is an alarm attached to the headlights, how are you going to prevent the act from occurring. I think that hooking an alarm to the headlights will only scare a thief as he is running away with your HIDs. On the bright side, you would know exactly when to run outside and be really pissed off.

For good security, be cautious of where you park. Most importantly, have good insurance. If a thief wants something off of your car, he is going to take it. At some point greed overcomes technology and sensibility.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:49 AM

Etch your VIN # on it. No one would buy it...can be traced. If you're clevver, etch "Stolen from ..." on it too! Then again, I doubt thieves can read. Then they would get a degree an a real job...
Old 01-31-2005, 11:51 AM

Ditto to what Nash said. An alarm is not going to stop a thief.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:42 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by NashMax
Unless a would be thief can visibly see that there is an alarm attached to the headlights, how are you going to prevent the act from occurring. I think that hooking an alarm to the headlights will only scare a thief as he is running away with your HIDs. On the bright side, you would know exactly when to run outside and be really pissed off.

For good security, be cautious of where you park. Most importantly, have good insurance. If a thief wants something off of your car, he is going to take it. At some point greed overcomes technology and sensibility.

sadly, you're probably next if your neighbors were robbed. if the 5.5 Gens didn't figure how to deter theives, how are we any different? Good insurance is all you can do.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:43 PM
Custom User Title

The only way to prevent thieves from taking your HIDs is to buy a different car.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:29 PM

Man....do what I did...install a security camera over your house.....I did that the minute someone walked up to my driveway and smashed my back windsheild, and if you have a garage keep it there.....or if you have neither......just get an alarm with air horns on it...... factory alarms aren't worth **** on any car.....you need a aftermarket one......ANYTHING helps.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:07 PM

Dont worry about it. Pay for good insurance.

Dont get me wrong, I love the max, but it is really just an appliance to get you from point a to point b in style (with a little attitude too).

If someone wants my hid's (or the whole car for that matter), I cannot stop them....so I dont worry about it.

Good luck!
Old 01-31-2005, 04:55 PM

Am I to assume from these posts that I am the only one here whose retirement enables him to sit in a darkened room holding an automatic shotgun and peeping between the slats of the blinds at his Maxima all night long?

Actually, since we had a burglary thirteen years ago in which the perps drove around our locked gates, right through the dogwoods and shrubbery, across the middle of the front lawn, and smashed down both the front door and the door between the kitchen and the garage and carried off everything, including four closets full of clothes and all souvenirs and mementos from our deceased parents, we have been paranoid to an **** extent. We do have an automatic shotgun and two pistols loaded and ready, hoping for a chance to use them (I qualified as expert marksman while in the Army).

I am fortunate in that I am able to keep my Maxima in an enclosed and insulated garage at the end of a 300 foot drive with iron gates at the property entrance.

We have motion detectors with inside alerts on both corners of the garage (and every corner of the house), sensors on the garage doors and windows tied into our security system which is monitored, and which has both cellular and long-range radio backups with three battery systems, so cutting off power and phone lines and removing the big radio antenna on the roof has no effect.

But, when travelling, we are in the same boat as others. We won't stay in a motel unless we can find a good (low ding potential) parking spot within view of our room window. We do peek out over a dozen times an hour (and every time we hear a noise), except when asleep. In such situations, I am usually awake until around 2AM, and my wife usually is awake by 4 or 5AM. And we still worry.

My wife worries not so much about the Maxima (we have good insurance), but about me. She knows how very strongly I feel about crime, and knows I would immediately attack anyone tampering with my property, probably resulting in my injury or death. But each of us is probably stupid in some way, and that fanaticism regarding crime is mine.

If I had to park in an open area each night, I would find an aftermarket security system with a powerful and distinctive horn which cannot be ignored. I would insist on one which would have a sensor I could hide in the headlight area. I would mount a dual spotlight on the side/eaves of my abode focused directly on my Maxima. And still sit by the window with a loaded . . . well, maybe not that.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:43 PM

I believe that a good after-market alarm will deter the younger, unprofessioal thieves. I agree with the fact that if a thief wants it, they will have it but personally, I got an aftermarket alarm the day after I baught the car. I believe it provides my lights some sort of security as the alarm does draw attention and the pager/noise would wake me up as soon as they activated the alarm.

I still fear driving my car to malls with vast parking lots and I often get criticized for it but what can you do...

Edit: I just realized you lived in Ft. Lauderdale... Sucks living with all these thieves eh?... I have only seen one 04 Maxima without it's hids and that car was really screwed up. (bent bumper, hood, fenders, etc...) On the other hand, not one week goes by where I don't see a 5.5 gen without a headlight or the two... Same goes with the TL's...
Old 01-31-2005, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by mickey075
...... probably for the same reason as in case 2002/2003 models.....

2002-2003 all came with HIDs that's why they were such popular targets.

Not all 6th gens come with HIDs....all 5.5 gens did.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:21 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
2002-2003 all came with HIDs that's why they were such popular targets.

Not all 6th gens come with HIDs....all 5.5 gens did.
actually I'm sure the HID could be deleted from the 5.5 gen. i'm somewhat sure it was option in certain packages too.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
actually I'm sure the HID could be deleted from the 5.5 gen. i'm somewhat sure it was option in certain packages too.
No the 5.5 gens only came in HID.....

Old 02-02-2005, 07:40 AM

The dude that got robbed with the door smashed and hauled stuff out the garage: My suggestion is to move out of the boondocks. Seems like sheriff of a town cannot protect everyone.

All others: Use the garage for your car, not your JUNK!!
Old 02-02-2005, 07:17 PM
*moderator*

I think I have the solution, see below:

Old 02-02-2005, 08:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

damn I forgot my combination.... great picture jsmithsole, LOL!
Old 02-03-2005, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
I think I have the solution, see below:

hahahahahahahahahaah
Old 02-03-2005, 08:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

lighton,

Thanks again for another excellent post. I remember when I first got my 4th gen maxima about 10 years ago, I stayed up all night watching it in the parking lot of my apartment complex. I still feel the same about it, and will probably be twice as vigilent when I finally buy my 6th gen.

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Am I to assume from these posts that I am the only one here whose retirement enables him to sit in a darkened room holding an automatic shotgun and peeping between the slats of the blinds at his Maxima all night long?

Actually, since we had a burglary thirteen years ago in which the perps drove around our locked gates, right through the dogwoods and shrubbery, across the middle of the front lawn, and smashed down both the front door and the door between the kitchen and the garage and carried off everything, including four closets full of clothes and all souvenirs and mementos from our deceased parents, we have been paranoid to an **** extent. We do have an automatic shotgun and two pistols loaded and ready, hoping for a chance to use them (I qualified as expert marksman while in the Army).

I am fortunate in that I am able to keep my Maxima in an enclosed and insulated garage at the end of a 300 foot drive with iron gates at the property entrance.

We have motion detectors with inside alerts on both corners of the garage (and every corner of the house), sensors on the garage doors and windows tied into our security system which is monitored, and which has both cellular and long-range radio backups with three battery systems, so cutting off power and phone lines and removing the big radio antenna on the roof has no effect.

But, when travelling, we are in the same boat as others. We won't stay in a motel unless we can find a good (low ding potential) parking spot within view of our room window. We do peek out over a dozen times an hour (and every time we hear a noise), except when asleep. In such situations, I am usually awake until around 2AM, and my wife usually is awake by 4 or 5AM. And we still worry.

My wife worries not so much about the Maxima (we have good insurance), but about me. She knows how very strongly I feel about crime, and knows I would immediately attack anyone tampering with my property, probably resulting in my injury or death. But each of us is probably stupid in some way, and that fanaticism regarding crime is mine.

If I had to park in an open area each night, I would find an aftermarket security system with a powerful and distinctive horn which cannot be ignored. I would insist on one which would have a sensor I could hide in the headlight area. I would mount a dual spotlight on the side/eaves of my abode focused directly on my Maxima. And still sit by the window with a loaded . . . well, maybe not that.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
No the 5.5 gens only came in HID.....

Yet, it was standard in 5.5 gens but it can also fit in 00-01 max too.
so, there are a lot of "buyer" out there...
Old 02-04-2005, 05:26 PM

HILLARIOUS JSMITH ABSOLUTELY HILLARIOUS. I had my hids stolen off of my 5th gen 03 max twice. THEN WENT OUT AND GOT AN 04 MAX WITH HIDs and no problem since. VIPER 791XVR installed as well as cameras and motion sensors in the driveway along with my dads rifle with scope at the window. let those ***** fu*kas try it. ill snipe them in the leg and then torture the shyt outta them break every bone in their body and dump them off the bridge by my house. now thats the ITALIAN way baby.

sorry for the vulgarity but this topic touches me the wrong way!