6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

PAC AAI-NIS installation question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 10:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

PAC AAI-NIS installation question

I just got my AAI-NIS and before I take anything apart, I figured I'd ask...

The instructions are fairly assy, so my understanding is that, since my car is already pre-wired for SAT, all I have to do is unplug the 10-pin cable from the head unit, and plug it into the AAI-NIS bypass, then plug the other end back into the head unit. Am I correct, or does this thing plug into anything else?

I don't see anything about a radio code anywhere, so is it safe to assume that unplugging the ribbon cable from the HU won't require a radio code afterwards?

I was eyeballing the connections last time I took my dash apart, and it doesn't look like an easy job because access to the back of the HU is limited. How hard is it to get back there and pull the cable? I've messed with everything from the climate controls to the info screen cables with no problem, but the HU seems to be a whole other animal...

I know some people here have done the installation themselves so I was just wondering how big of a deal it was.

Thanks.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

its easy. the head unit comes out i think if u take a couple of screws out. no reaching behind anything needed. not sure how it'll work for u tho if u already have satellite radio.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:42 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

there is only one of those connectors so its common sence, you can't plug it to any other plug you know.. if you take the 10 pin connector out to the PAC adapter there will be only one spot open for the other end of adapter to go into, simple...
Old 02-07-2005, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by ceehan
its easy. the head unit comes out i think if u take a couple of screws out. no reaching behind anything needed. not sure how it'll work for u tho if u already have satellite radio.
I don't have sat, but the car is pre-wired. My understanding is that when that's the case, the PAC input is accessed via the SAT button, which is what I want.

Thanks for the tip though... I didn't think of removing the HU out, because it was so much trouble, but it looks like that's the way to go. It sucks though, because I have to take out <b>everything</b> in order to pull out the bracket enough to unscrew the HU -- I assume it's screwed to the bracket on the sides just like the info screen and the "UPR" box on top of it.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the pac-aai nis adapter comes with 2 plugs that'll only fit in 2 specific ports. easy to do.. took only 30 minutes.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:45 PM

Thanks for the help guys... got in there tonight and got it installed without issue. The connectors on the back of the HU are upside down, and both at the bottom, probably to facilitate putting them in without having to take the unit out, so I took advantage of that. The smaller PAC sat cable goes into one and the power bypass goes on the other.

Not sure if it'd help anyone in the future, but the "hard" way of doing it would be to follow chrisaust's How-To to take apart the dash... out with the trim around the e-brake, the trim piece around the shifter, the screws & dash kit, the info screen/vents piece, then remove the screws that hold the bracket in place, remove the connections and pull the bracket out enough to unscrew the head unit out and pull the cables.

The "easier" way is to stop at the dash kit, then reach under the HU and remove the two bottom connectors and plug the PAC unit there. It's not easy, but it sure beats having to take apart the whole dash just to get back there and plug in 2 cables...

Either way, thanks again for the help.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by ceehan
the pac-aai nis adapter comes with 2 plugs that'll only fit in 2 specific ports. easy to do.. took only 30 minutes.
I just noticed that, and it reminded me of a good thing about the dash. Everything fits one way, so you can't really screw up -- at least not accidentally... The screws are different shapes/sizes and different colors. Connectors are all different and not interchangeable, so you can't really put something apart the wrong way without forcing it...

And if you have to force it, then it's probably not going in the right way...
Old 02-08-2005, 01:37 PM

:
Old 02-09-2005, 04:15 AM

"Not sure if it'd help anyone in the future, but the "hard" way of doing it would be to follow chrisaust's How-To to take apart the dash... out with the trim around the e-brake, the trim piece around the shifter, the screws & dash kit, the info screen/vents piece, then remove the screws that hold the bracket in place, remove the connections and pull the bracket out enough to unscrew the head unit out and pull the cables."

I agree, I ended up placing a small mirror behind the radio and using a flashlight to see what I was doing. It was quite easy. There are some pics of the install in the link in my sig.