6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

CDR's (recordable CD's ) Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 08:24 PM

CDR's (recordable CD's ) Issues?

My Nissan dealer asked if I burned alot of CD's, I told him yes because I make original music and like to demo it in my cars. He said be careful because they have been known to get stuck in the cd player. Has anyone had any issues like this ?
Old 02-08-2005, 09:14 PM

I imagine it's an issue only for people who use adhesive labels on their cd-rs.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:18 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

I would've thought a cd is a cd no matter if its real store brand or a burnt one, unless it has a label like frost said there.......

no I haven't had a cd get stuck in my car......
Old 02-08-2005, 09:40 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

I tend to think that many people see burned CDs as some type of inferior product that will just self destruct and destroy whatever it is playing in at the time. The truth is that they have to adhere to a design standard. Just like pressed CDs have to adhere to a standard. Nissan does not want to officially support CD-Rs because the are so many variables that come into play with them such as brand, burner, and burning software. All of these things can impact the playability of a CD.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Today all quality CD's and quality burners (LG, Pioneer, Sony, Panasonic, Samsung) adhere to the same high standards.....this is not an issue anymore since 2 years.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:51 AM

I play my own mixes on CD-Rs everyday and never had a problem.

It's too bad mp3s aren't supported...that would save me a lot of blank cds!
Old 02-09-2005, 03:50 PM

I have had playback problems with CD-Rs where I added text to the disc (for artist and song title). For some reason, the CD player doesn't like those, and it will stop playing in the middle of the disc. So now, I never add text and I have no problems.

I have no problems with regular CDs that have text encoded. Only CD-Rs.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:07 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

Originally Posted by Surly
I have had playback problems with CD-Rs where I added text to the disc (for artist and song title). For some reason, the CD player doesn't like those, and it will stop playing in the middle of the disc. So now, I never add text and I have no problems.

I have no problems with regular CDs that have text encoded. Only CD-Rs.
That's odd. I always add the Cd-Text info and never have a problem. I'm using Nero to burn the discs.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:07 AM

I use CDR's almost exclusively. I don't like to keep my original CD's in a car in Texas, where it gets to about 140 degrees in the summer. Also, we have 3 cars between me and my wife, so I burn copies for the other cars. And I always use adhesive labels ... you just have to use good ones and make sure they're securely attached.

I've had absolutely no problems with CDR's jamming the player mechanism in any of my cars. The only (odd) issue I've had is that a few of ny CDR's will not play past a certain point in the Max. They reach that song, then just stop playing. This doesn't happen in any of my other cars, and I think it's just a slight difference in tracking tolerances or something.

Mike
Old 02-11-2005, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by boone2k2max
That's odd. I always add the Cd-Text info and never have a problem. I'm using Nero to burn the discs.

Same here, use Nero and never had a problem with my Max reading the song titles. Reads them fine and plays fine.

Like what was said before, the only issue you will see can be from crappy labels people put on the CD OR a cracked CD can explode in a drive. Its rare but I have seen it happen.

I was a hardware tech for a corporation for 3 years so I have seen tons of wierd problems. CDR's getting stuck in drives of any kind is not one of them.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:19 AM

It says in the Nissan Maxima manuals that you shouldn't use CD-Rs in the player because it "might" cause damage.

I always played CD-Rs in my 5th gen's stock radio (too cheap to buy CDs) and nothing ever went wrong.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by voxefx
My Nissan dealer asked if I burned alot of CD's, I told him yes because I make original music and like to demo it in my cars. He said be careful because they have been known to get stuck in the cd player. Has anyone had any issues like this ?
I use CD-R's all the time, add text to them also. Every time I make a nice mix CD. Never once had an issue with the CD-r's. They work fine in my wifes Alpine head unit also. Always nice to make a backup of your CD. I keep the origionals in the house.