6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

thanks for all the info, tips and help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 07:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks for all the info, tips and help!

Guys I am pretty new to this site, but in the short time I have been here I have learned a whole lot from all of your posts….

I just wanted to thank you guys and also say goodbye..

I have decided to take my 05 MAX back and trade it in on the new 350Z…. I hate to think that I am giving up on my car, I really love my max, but the sad truth is I just can not take the shimmy anymore. From all of the research that I have done ( on and off this site ) this problem is one that Nissan will eventually have to deal with, just not any time soon. I have read many posts of guys taking Nissan to court, but who really has the time to go through all of that? One of the sales guys I spoke with put it best, he said the decision was simple, I can spend money and countless hours fighting with Nissan and its service department –or- I could cut my losses now and get out of the car. I work in the finance / banking industry and unfortunately I understand what a company like Nissan thinks about a decision like a recall… frankly just taking the financial hit of purchase price vrs. trade in value seems to be the best option. I did test drive the 350Z for like 20 minutes!!!!! I simply explained to the sales guy ( the same one that sold me my MAX ) why I was trading the car in, and that I did not want to have a similar problem with the 350Z, he let me drive that car all over town and on the highway! He also gave me a really great deal. So again, thanks for all of your help…
Old 02-14-2005, 07:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I can sympathize with your frustration. However, I feel you are making the wrong decision. How many times has the car been fixed? FL law is three stikes and one final repair attempt OR 15 days in the shop. I would get the lemon law ball rolling. Don't bend over and take it in the A$$. Sorry to be blunt, but I think you really should take some time...get in touch with a lemon law lawyer. If your car is truely a lemon you won't pay a dime. You just need to be patient with all of this. If you must get out of the car I would at least call Nissan and have them do something to help you out. If you have any questions PM me please. Don't let Nissan take advantage of you!
Old 02-14-2005, 07:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by msoemax
I can sympathize with your frustration. However, I feel you are making the wrong decision. How many times has the car been fixed? FL law is three stikes and one final repair attempt OR 15 days in the shop. I would get the lemon law ball rolling. Don't bend over and take it in the A$$. Sorry to be blunt, but I think you really should take some time...get in touch with a lemon law lawyer. If your car is truely a lemon you won't pay a dime. You just need to be patient with all of this. If you must get out of the car I would at least call Nissan and have them do something to help you out. If you have any questions PM me please. Don't let Nissan take advantage of you!
Thanks for the help msoemax, I work for a bank and I am fairly well read on Florida laws, but the truth is at this point I have more money then time OR patience… don’t get me wrong, I am not rich by any means, and no I really don’t feel like throwing away 3K but the dealership has offered to sell me the 350 at their cost…. I am getting an ’05 loaded, brand new for 25,800 …. That not so bad… and the way I figured it, I would probably spend at least 1 or 2K in trips back and forth to the dealer, missed work, and you truly can not put a price on the aggravation that goes along with that. The fact is simply that I am so disappointed with this car, and I don’t in any way mean the styling, but this obvious mechanical defect, that I don’t even want ti think about it anymore. I hear what your saying.. but I can either fight it out with Nissan, and drag this out for 3 or 4 months, or I can end it all by trading the car in….. I hate that idea, but it will allow me to get on with my daily life ….. sure a few thousand lighter but no aggravation, from Nissan, their dealer, the service department, the state of Florida attny office, the lemon law layers ect. I know this is a bad example, I know that I really am not helping all of those poor guys that are fighting it out with Nissan at this very moment… I know that Nissan in reality want me and everyone else to just give up… but they are going to have to explain to someone, why they are selling a new 350 under value…. and hopefully someone will ask, why did this guy buy a MAX and 1,500 miles latter return it?
Old 02-14-2005, 11:21 PM

umm i dont get it.. you're disapointed with nissan and you go and buy another nissan?

..okiee
Old 02-14-2005, 11:45 PM

dirtysouthmax - I sort of understand your situation. When I was working 70 hour weeks (which I did for years), spending up to ten hours a week sitting in traffic just getting to and from work, and trying to keep seven acres groomed, I also tended to take the quick way out of bad situations. There just wasn't time to make the persistent contacts, followups, etc, to get complicated problems resolved as I would have liked. It was the pragmatic solution for the situation.

Now that I am retired, however, I have become Ralph Nader, Jr.

I am always polite, but extremely persistent. I send copies of every complaint or request for action to appropriate entities. If I receive no response, I write again, attaching copies of the first correspondence, and increasing the number of receipients of copies.

It can take lots of time and patience, but if one can spare the time and patience, and continues to politely persist, the situation is usually resolved in an acceptable manner.

But, as you say, time IS money, and following up on something like this can be very debilitating.

I regret that Nissan let the Maxima on the market with this shimmy problem. I regret Nissan and your dealer have not been able to properly fix your Maxima. I wish you only the best with your 350Z. It is one heck of a car.