6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Has anybody had any bad issues with the trenz grille?? I have :-(

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 11:57 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Has anybody had any bad issues with the trenz grille?? I have :-(

Hey all,

I need to post a pic, anyways, My trenz grille went it fairly good last summer but I noticed through the winter that its not fitted as good, its clearly not aligned and it has damaged my hood where I have to repair the hood. I have a dent on the bottom left of the hood where the paint is cracked now, and I am getting a small dent and chips on the right where the grille is vibrating and hitting the roof of the hood.

It could be me, I may have installed it wrong, or the cold could of changed the shape of the grille, either way theres not much room for the hood to close without hitting the grille and it usually does. Im careful but the mechanics arent.

I plan on getting the hood grinded halfway, repainted and clear coated to blend with the bumper. the bumper has soem chips but its useless to sand and paint since the winter here suck and will cause damage again. I shoudl of gotten a clear bra.

The grille is beat up too, maybe it just needs to be re chromed, prob cheaper to buy a new one or another. I have the polished aluminum one.

Anyways, depending on your remarks I may buy another trenz or stick with stock, or maybe I should try a different grille, but I dotn liek the sarona, hows the alternate to the trenz?

Thanks
Ill try and take a pic.

Here are the pics, the quality sucks, theres actually a horizontal dent aligned with the crack, the cant be seen. these pics make the hood look fine. but its really not.

maybe you guys can tell me id the grill is installed wrong.

thanks

Old 02-15-2005, 12:39 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

post a pic so we can determine whats wrong
Old 02-15-2005, 02:15 PM

Anybody have any commenst on the E&G Classics "z" style grill?
Old 02-15-2005, 03:17 PM

Chris - replace the stock popup buttons holding the grille with stainless steel nuts and bolts. This secured mine in place and i could position it perfectly. My TRENZ did the same thing until i used the nuts and bolts to secure it to the frame.

To reclaim the shiny-ness - use Mother's Billet Polish. It made mine look like a mirror.

Bob
Old 02-15-2005, 03:52 PM

Does not seem to be as sturdy as my billet but not everyone likes billet. I do not like the Trendz mounting system, seems flimsy to me. You should be able to polish it with some never dull. That is some good stuff, the military loves that stuff...

As far as the stock grill, never going back to that again, but my billet grill will probably outlast the car....built solid, low maintenance, actually, never polished it once. This is mounted SOLID by 4 screws, does not wiggle or budge.

Now, personal taste will decide what you want to go with overall though. Not many billet 6th gen grills out here, never seen one except my own.....that is what I like, lots of the Altimas and Max out here run Trendz grills.....plus, I like the no hamburger smooth look. Never liked the line in the middle of the Trendz, nor the fit issues. Again, personal taste. I can say though, the Trendz still looks better than the OEM grill. My OEM grill actually created 2 small paint chips just from being on the car, noticed them upon removal. And no, I did not create the damage removing the stock OEM grill.....just car vibration did.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:17 AM

carcus do you know where to purchase your grille, and have any pics of the inside of the hood so i could see my options?

Also, Thansk Bob, I will look into the nuts and bolts, I will take a picture too, my grile is a little uneven.

Chris
Old 02-16-2005, 08:39 AM

I have the same grill as Carcus. I love it and believe that you can order the same one off Ebay. The car in the picture is actually mine They took pics after the install, first mod I did. Good luck with everything.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:04 AM

do you gusy have any pictures of the install?
Old 02-20-2005, 08:21 PM

I added the pics...
Old 02-20-2005, 08:47 PM
ActiveTuning Partner

You can certainly tell by the pic that the corner of that grille doesn't match the car at all. Looks like the radius is waaaaay smaller than it should be.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:23 AM

After market products suck.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:46 PM
Banned

I was suprised how good the trenz grille looked on my onyx maxima and how simple the install was. The pushpins went in very securely and im confident it will hold for good. Im suprised how they included those stupid cotterpins for the bottom, they do nothing. I was able to push the grille all the way in and the pins just stayed at the tips of the grille mounts, doing nothing. But after it was aligned properly and the hoold closed the grille is immovable and dead center. Im happy with it, I wouldnt discourage buying it if you like the look. Mine has the emblem on it, and even though it isnt completely flush, It adheared very well.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:47 PM
Banned

I think a carbon fiber hood would be pretty cool and easier to install than a lightbulb on this car
Old 02-22-2005, 11:58 AM

does anybody know if i shoudl slam the hood shut b dropping it with force? or drop gentley and use my hand to press down? i dont use my hand to press down because i feel like althogyuht it sounds safer i feel like its risky for dents like the one pictured above. and im still convinced thats hwo that one got there from say a stupid mechanic if not the grille
Old 02-22-2005, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_RI
After market products suck.
Sometimes OEM sucks even worse.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:30 PM
Banned

All I know is this hood is a joke, I dont know if its just my car, and I dont care all that much about it, but you have inflict a very loud and violent slam, as if I got really pissed off and slammed the hood in anger, just to make it close. Im also not going to let it down and then use pressure to close it, this hood is definately too thin and prone to a dent. My taurus hood's own weight was all that was needed for it to 'clip' nicely in place, I was suprised the first time I realized this $30,000 car's hood needs to be slammed like the hood of a diesel dumptruck.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:02 AM

I thought I was the only one, I grab the little hitch inside and pull down with all my might and pull my arm out real quick. soemtimes it doesnt close on the first attempt. I'm almost positve the hood hits my grille and dents up stuff.

unreal
Old 02-23-2005, 04:41 PM
Banned

Yeah, a service tech at an oil change place tried to close it 3 times, until I intervened and closed it for him. Most unusual, this car has a misaligned glove box and a horrible hood catch.