6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Stick on Dash-Kits... shelf life?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 05:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Stick on Dash-Kits... shelf life?

Hi,
I was looking at the 3M adhesive type dash kits on this page:
http://www.evolution-autodesign.com/maxima/
(under the real aluminum dash kits)

For my '04 maxima se
Anyone have experience with this "stick" on type of kits.
I don't want to put stuff on.. and only have it start to fall off.. down the road.. from heat temps in the car.. or anything like that.
How long will they stay stuck?

Just curious... I'm tired of the scratches that appear.. and the latest crap of my trim surrounding my manual shifter rubbing off

Thanks
Old 02-20-2005, 06:26 AM

Well over time it will fade or peel...depending on how much sun your car sees and how the dash kit is put on. I suggest using the promoter that comes with most dash kits. This will help preventing it from peeling. I haven't installed one on a new maxima yet but, these kits are all the same. There really is nothing you can do about the fading, but try to keep the car in the shade all the time.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

windows tinted

my windows are tinted... so that'd help with the sun beating down on it... what do you mean the "promoter" ?

thanks for you input
Old 02-20-2005, 09:33 AM
SuPeRmOd

is it really necessary to post 2 similar threads at once?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=380955
Old 02-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by dobesteve
Hi,
I was looking at the 3M adhesive type dash kits on this page:
http://www.evolution-autodesign.com/maxima/
(under the real aluminum dash kits)

For my '04 maxima se
Anyone have experience with this "stick" on type of kits.
I don't want to put stuff on.. and only have it start to fall off.. down the road.. from heat temps in the car.. or anything like that.
How long will they stay stuck?

Just curious... I'm tired of the scratches that appear.. and the latest crap of my trim surrounding my manual shifter rubbing off

Thanks
Do I have experience or do I have an opinion? I don't have experience because I do have an opinion. The best stick on kit I've ever seen was very obviously just that, a stick on kit.

I have a few almost non-existant scratches on the horizontal surfaces but not enough to bother me. My car is 2 years old now and even though I'm the original owner it is after all, a used car. Used cars have imperfections.

I do have a fairly ugly scratch on the verticle surface above my CD garage. I gouged it with the tip of my umbrella one day. D'oh.

So yes, a stick on kit will cover the scratches but it will fool no one. They are butt ugly. IMHO.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:24 AM

If the 05's are really that much better, I think I will eventually just start aquiring stock trim pieces from junkyards as they start seeing these cars. Mine is fine, but the way everyone talks about this issue, it sounds like something that is inevitable. Hopefully I wont have to worry about it for a while.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:09 PM

An alternative from a stick-on dash kit is with a company called Phoenix Imageing, they do what is called hydrographics. You send them your trim pieces and they return them completely decortated how you want them. Here is their website: phoenix-image.com

Old 02-20-2005, 01:15 PM

My dash kit seems to be holding up fine. I like it, looks better in person.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:29 PM

I got a dash kit off ebay, it was a lot better then i thought it would be. I haven't put it on yet tho because it hasn't been warm enough.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:08 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by jcberb
An alternative from a stick-on dash kit is with a company called Phoenix Imageing, they do what is called hydrographics. You send them your trim pieces and they return them completely decortated how you want them. Here is their website: phoenix-image.com

I've had some experience with this stuff, sort of. The limbs on my compound bow, a rifle stock and couple of knife handles are done with this process. The rifle stock and knife handles are coarse textured and brutally tough. The compound bow limbs are smooth but the finish has held up very well.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:03 AM

I am not a real big fan of the stick-on kits, what really catches me is the fact that the whole piece is decorated, and if you get scratches, you can remove the piece, lightly sand it, and spray it with some clear coat...scratches gone. It is a bit pricey though. I would most likely choose this over the stick-on kits.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've install those kits on some cars before...they hold up pretty well just as long as you follow the directions....use the adhesive promoter and a hair dryer if you need to bend a piece....good luck and post some pics when you're done....
Old 02-21-2005, 02:02 PM

Really, for the price, the kit looks good to me. Took care of the scratches. Granted, some people will not like the silver carbon, but it was my choice. Goes good with my Spirited Bronze.

Just a few pics but more on my site. Looks good in black carbon as well.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:04 PM

I have never gotten more than 2 years out of these kits here in the Texas heat.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:48 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by factorymax
I have never gotten more than 2 years out of these kits here in the Texas heat.
The ones I've seen curl and fray at the edges.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:54 PM

Mississippi heat and humidity out here. No problems so far. Just my own experience.

Shots of a Max with black carbon:

Even if worse comes to worse, just as easy to remove with a heat gun and replace. If you use the promoter, kit should last quite a while. 3M adhesive is some pretty stong stuff, never had a problem with my BMW.