6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

K&N Filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 11:06 PM
Banned

K&N Filter

I read somewhere on here that tests were done showing that a stock intake with a K&N panel outperformed some expensive aftermarket kits. Does anyone have any information about this, or has anyone dyno'd a K&N and got results on power and torque? I mean, for $60 I'd like to get one, but im wondering if anyone knows if it makes a difference. Im too lazy to search the whole forum for this subject, but im sure its been covered.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hopefully someone isn't too lazy to answer the question
Old 02-23-2005, 07:18 AM

Here you go. Its a search of the word K&N in the 6th generation forums.

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?searchid=203904

good luck
Old 02-23-2005, 08:18 AM

it wont allow me access to it
Old 02-23-2005, 08:22 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by PaL379
Here you go. Its a search of the word K&N in the 6th generation forums.

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?searchid=203904

good luck
lol, you tried to give him the search results? wouldn't that defeat the purpose of only having limited seach capabilities? here's the most recent discussion: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ighlight=K%26N

I have my K&N panel filter sitting here awaiting my first and last filter change.

If it adds some performance great! If not, I still will save $ by never buying another one.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:23 AM

Me neither, i guess its privileged information.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:26 AM

I think most would agree that a drop-in will perform as well as an aftermarket intake... and that neither will give you a seat of the pants increase. Looks and intake sound? If that's important, go for it (CAI). In general an aftermarket intake and free'd up exahuast will result in some low-end loss, that's assuming the products in fact flow more air than the factory stuff.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:47 AM

damn, sorry for that post. I wasnt thinking.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:56 PM
Banned

I Want TORQUE!!
Old 02-23-2005, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
I Want TORQUE!!
You won't get it from an aftermarket CAI or free(er) flowing exhaust.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:28 PM
Banned

Well, I did'nt notice before that Hp gains are posted as a percentage on K&N's site. They say that the drop in filters return on average 2-4% extra Hp. So, between 5.3 and 10.6 on our cars. So, for $43 I can at worst gain 5 hp. Seems worth the money considering how expensive and detrimental the alternative is. I think K&N is pretty reputable, they have their testing procedures and statistics posted and they are very detailed. Soo, Ill get one and see how it goes. Is the filterbox difficult to open?
Old 02-23-2005, 10:04 PM

Where do they say that HP increase is at (RPM's)? WOT?
Is that increase specific to the Maxima or a general statement?

Granted the K&N is a good filter and in the long run cheaper than replacing every few thousand miles.... assuming you clean it and charge it right and don't doink the MAF.... A 10 (or so) HP increase at usable RPM would be significant for $40. You sure you buy into that?
Old 02-23-2005, 10:32 PM

A drop-in filter won't give you much power difference at all.
An aftermarket intake will give you a more aggressive sound, but minimal performance gains by itself. However, with the addition of headers, y-pipe, and cat-back exhaust on top of the intake; you'll notice a significant amount.
Good luck!
Old 02-23-2005, 11:45 PM
Banned

Well the K&N claim of 2-4% is based on all the data for all cars tested at all different temperatures. It is an aggregate range...I mean the max might see 1% of a gain in Hp for all I know. But if most cars see 2-4% overall...I believe ther are cars out there with very constrictive intake systems that see a 4% boost, and have a large filter. But hey, if I get a couple Hp...or maybe more like 5, its worth the $45...thats nothing c'mon.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:59 PM

Cool on both of the last posts... but again, where in the RPMs are you going to see the HP gain? Low RPM's or High? And what of the real seat of the pants factor.. torque? Does K&N or any one else quote these figures? Don't get me wrong, it's all good (definatly if you want a couple more HP at the highest RPMs you drive and a nice intake sound when you jump on it), but .... like I said before, if you open everything up (ie; flow more air, in and out) you are most likely going to lose bottom, which, most of us enjoy in day to day driving.

If all your time is on the wide open expressway, by all means buy all the bolt on stuff, it'll sound good, you MAY pick up a couple HP and your MPG will drop. Stop light to stop light? You'll probably get beat by a stocker.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:08 AM

I just put the K&N panel filter on my wifes 04. $36.00 at Auto Zone (I have a friend that works there). Except for the fact that I only have to clean it once in a while, I don't think there's much that it can do since the stock airbox is still restrictive.

But a little improvement is better than none at all.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:13 PM

The only reason I went with a cone filter is the fact that I would never have to replace it and it sounds great at wide throttle after 4,500 rpm. Below that, you would not even know that I had done anything to the car.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:25 PM

If you havent already done it, remove your front scoop piece and the resonator in the fenderwell. With the K&N filter it will perform better than stock.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:49 PM
Banned

Okay I feel kinda stupid, but i switched the paper filter with the K& N and when i started it up the car went wacko (500 or so higher idle, thus resulting in a 'clunk' when shifted in reverse, and a service engine soon light on) So I take it out, put back in the stock filter, disconnect the battery and reconnect it, start the car, everything is fine, except the stupid service light is still on. How could I have done this without causing so much of a problem? I honestly didnt think a different filter would cause the car to get this upset. How come disconnecting the battery isnt resetting the engine light? Is this because once its on you need the dealer to plug it into a diagnostic computer to reset it? Help..
Old 02-25-2005, 06:28 PM

Okay I feel kinda stupid, but i switched the paper filter with the K& N and when i started it up the car went wacko (500 or so higher idle, thus resulting in a 'clunk' when shifted in reverse, and a service engine soon light on) So I take it out, put back in the stock filter, disconnect the battery and reconnect it, start the car, everything is fine, except the stupid service light is still on. How could I have done this without causing so much of a problem? I honestly didnt think a different filter would cause the car to get this upset. How come disconnecting the battery isnt resetting the engine light? Is this because once its on you need the dealer to plug it into a diagnostic computer to reset it? Help..
Did you oil the K&N filter after you took it out of the box? They come preoiled. I have heard that excessive oil can mess with the MAF meters on some cars setting off a check engine light. Only thing I can suggest is take it to the dealer, have them reset the light under warranty and do not mention anything. Only thing I can think of is excessive filter oil gumming sensors.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:14 PM
Banned

Yeah, i was thinking MAF sensor...something's wrong...but yeah, tuesday i get an oilchange, they wanna switch the skyview so they will make an appointment, and (sometimes) the wheel and seat does not move for egress. Soo im just tellin them that the egress thing stopped working when the light came on...i dunno i dont wanna put my foot in my mouth. and no, i actually dabbed it to get it less oily...it wasnt that oily anyway though. So the light will prolly stay on till tuesday. I know on my old car (taurus) the guy plugged computer into the parrellel port and told me he was resetting the light (which came back on, but that car was a lost cause anyway) I hope the guy can figure out the MAF is dirty and replaces it if need be. Just so everyone knows, this little change CAN wreak havoc on the car.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:10 PM

Yeah, i was thinking MAF sensor...something's wrong...but yeah, tuesday i get an oilchange, they wanna switch the skyview so they will make an appointment, and (sometimes) the wheel and seat does not move for egress. Soo im just tellin them that the egress thing stopped working when the light came on...i dunno i dont wanna put my foot in my mouth. and no, i actually dabbed it to get it less oily...it wasnt that oily anyway though. So the light will prolly stay on till tuesday. I know on my old car (taurus) the guy plugged computer into the parrellel port and told me he was resetting the light (which came back on, but that car was a lost cause anyway) I hope the guy can figure out the MAF is dirty and replaces it if need be. Just so everyone knows, this little change CAN wreak havoc on the car.
Another thing that can set off a check engine light, like on my last car was the gas cap not being tightened. Took a few restarts and the light cleared. That might be another thing to look at. These 6th gen Maximas seem too new to have 02 sensors failing which is another reason for the light. You never can tell though, even the most expensive cars out there have gremlins. I would remove the K&N before taking it to the dealer though....you never know what they might say. Hope it works out for you. As far as the check engine lights, they are usually just an annoyance and nothing major. Well....besides troubleshooting it and the hours at the dealer.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:42 AM
Banned

Yeah its out, Ill check the gas cap anyway, but I know this has to be the filter because it idled too high on the 1st start with the K&N. I know the car is back to normal now...but does anyone know what the dealer does to turn the light off?
Old 02-27-2005, 07:51 AM

My gas cap needed tightening one time when I had my Spec-V. Took a few starts and stops for it to go away
Old 02-27-2005, 08:27 AM
Banned

I believe the gas cap thing...ill check it, but this would be one heck of a coincidence if thats what the problem is.

-Checked cap, took iff, put back ok...restarted car a few times..nothing, light is still on. Glad I know this though, I never read the gas cap.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:04 PM

Yeah its out, Ill check the gas cap anyway, but I know this has to be the filter because it idled too high on the 1st start with the K&N. I know the car is back to normal now...but does anyone know what the dealer does to turn the light off?
Dealer plugs into the computer, Consult program I think, checks the code for why it set off the light, than resets the light once the problem is fixed. You have a new car so I would have the dealer fix it for free.....on the other hand, my wifes Camaro has a occasional check engine light that comes on and turns off. It does have 144K miles on it so I could care less....it is an annoyance factor in her case, I think it is a bad o2 sensor, but not dropping another dime into that car.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:34 PM
Banned

Update- Today I start up the car, drive a few miles, and notice the service light is off. Soo 4 days go by with it on, and then it just goes away...weird huh?
Old 02-28-2005, 06:34 PM

Update- Today I start up the car, drive a few miles, and notice the service light is off. Soo 4 days go by with it on, and then it just goes away...weird huh?
Might have been a loose gas cap.....system is under pressure and will throw a code. You should be fine. Takes many of starts to reset the code. Now, throw the K&N filter in again and test it. Unless you over oiled it, should be OK. If it does it again, clean the K&N and apply LIGHT oil on it. I like reusable filters...they do not do much for HP...but save $$$ if you plan on keeping the car for tons of years. I still say the gas cap might have been the problem. Also, believe it or not, if you have the oil cap off and run the engine....can throw a light as well. First hand experience here. Few restarts....well, sometimes more than a few.....will set all is well. ECU restart will not do a fix most of the time...but can also throw a check engine light. Glad it worked out for you.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:03 PM
Banned

Yeah, not a fun experience, I took back the K&N.....Dont feel like dealing with it really.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:32 PM

Sorry to hear about that. In my case first thing I did to my new Max when I got it last Wednesday was to install the K&N filter, the same I've been doing for the last 10 years and 3 cars, best $35-40 mod you can do to your car. So far no problems as usual, so it must have been something else.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:09 PM
Banned

really? ya just popped in the K&N with the engine off...started it up, and it idled as if nothing was changed? Maybe it was oil hitting the MAF sensor...but guys believe me when i say the very moment the engine took its first breath, all hell broke loose with the K&N in there, idle was way too high, took it out and it stopped, but the engine light stayed on for a few days...My car just didnt adapt to the change well at all for some reason.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:25 PM

Yep, as simple as that, just like the rest of times I have used the K&N Filter on my cars.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:57 PM
SuPeRmOd

i believe that some are over-oiled from the factory. My old hooptie needed new o2 and MAF sensors from the K&N. but they went bad from me over oiling it.

I still have my K&N in the box. Just waiting for the OEM one to expire. So far I'm pretty sure I will still install it. But I will probably pat it down.

04 BlackMaxx, I don't blame you. If my baby starts acting up, I'll toss the filter too.

Just want the ease of never buying another filter and only cleaning it at long intervals.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:45 AM
Banned

But if the MAF was hit by oil, would this happen instantly, as it did? I mean, I thought it was the MAF sensing the extra airflow, and simply not knowing what to do with it. The car's idle was too high to shift out of park smoothly. Or should I have let the car run longer with the K&N in, or restarted it a few times? Dosent matter anyway, but at the time as soon as i saw trouble, i shut her down. If the MAF was dirty, do you think it woulda corrected itself in a matter of days too? I patted the filter down too. damn high tech car.