6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Vehicle Dynamic Control- Do I need it in my new 05 Max?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 10:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Vehicle Dynamic Control- Do I need it in my new 05 Max?

Can someone please help me out?

I am on the verge of buying a 05' Max SE and am really finding it hard to find traction control on anything. I found one that I want exactly and has the VDC in it but is about a grand more than I wanted to pay.

Is it really worth it getting the VDC, will it help with the shimmy of the line?

Somebody who has it, what do you think?

I appreciate the help.

NJ
Old 03-02-2005, 10:46 AM
SuPeRmOd

if you found VDC, I think the 900 is so worth it. you get a full size spare that cost 900 alone. VDC was the olny option i didn't get and would like. they are rare and you would pay a lot more to order one with it, missing the on lot discounts.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:22 AM

my 05 had the option stock at least I think. I see that you live in NJ so I would get the option
Old 03-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Get it--it might save your life (or that of a loved one) someday. Research shows fewer serious accidents in cars equipped with it. Also, will add to resale value somewhat.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i have it on my 04. i live in minnesota where there is somewhat of a need for it with the winters. i didn't think twice about it. i would go for it. like it was said earlier you get the full size spare =)
Old 03-02-2005, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by HDiddy9
Can someone please help me out?

I am on the verge of buying a 05' Max SE and am really finding it hard to find traction control on anything. I found one that I want exactly and has the VDC in it but is about a grand more than I wanted to pay.

Is it really worth it getting the VDC, will it help with the shimmy of the line?

Somebody who has it, what do you think?

I appreciate the help.

NJ
I thought it was supposed to be standard on late model 05 cars. Am I wrong on this? My 04 does not have it but if the 05 offers it free now, would not pay for it. Actually, as far of it's worth, depends on the weather. If you drive in snow, might be worth it. My BMW had traction control, but I never used it much in the WX I drive in. On my Camaro...we would actually disable a similar thing. Depends on really what type of climate you drive in. I would check though on the 05....newer models, I think it is now standard. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:51 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by carcus
I thought it was supposed to be standard on late model 05 cars. Am I wrong on this? My 04 does not have it but if the 05 offers it free now, would not pay for it. .........
Traction Control now comes standard. VDC is a step above that includes TCS.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
Traction Control now comes standard. VDC is a step above that includes TCS.
Fill me in on the difference of VDC and TCS....is it worth the upgrade besides a full size tire?
Old 03-02-2005, 07:04 PM

NY seems to get more snow these days... I would say go for it and it is worth an investment...

Traction control - is for controlling wheel spins/slip and apply brakes accordingly.....
VDC - Will control the whole vehicle if it goes out of "supposed to be a normal direction" - Controls vehicle from fish tailing, Over steer, under Steer etc.

TCS + VDC is the best combination when you have snow/ice on the road....

I have them, and it has already saved me enough number of times
Old 03-02-2005, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by tmbrlnd
i have it on my 04. i live in minnesota where there is somewhat of a need for it with the winters. i didn't think twice about it. i would go for it. like it was said earlier you get the full size spare =)
Hey Timberland ( I assumed it from your name) ... Nice to see fellow MN maxima guys on the org. Where do you buy from?
Old 03-02-2005, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by silvermax04
NY seems to get more snow these days... I would say go for it and it is worth an investment...

Traction control - is for controlling wheel spins/slip and apply brakes accordingly.....
VDC - Will control the whole vehicle if it goes out of "supposed to be a normal direction" - Controls vehicle from fish tailing, Over steer, under Steer etc.

Thank you much for the info. Now I understand the difference. I have had a few cars with traction control, but the VDC is new to me. TCS you should be able to disable by a button, but is VDC automatic as I assume?
Old 03-02-2005, 07:20 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by carcus
Thank you much for the info. Now I understand the difference. I have had a few cars with traction control, but the VDC is new to me. TCS you should be able to disable by a button, but is VDC automatic as I assume?
it would be the blank button next to the heated wheel button. so i figure you would disable both at once if you had VDC. but you could disable VDC.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:34 PM

Just curious, when or why would you want to disable TCS?? It seems like an option you would want on all the time but why the button then?

-MO-
Old 03-02-2005, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by MObruin
Just curious, when or why would you want to disable TCS?? It seems like an option you would want on all the time but why the button then?

-MO-

Sometimes a little wheel spin > bogging way down due to gas being cut out to prevent the spin when you are trying to jump into traffic or something. My last car had traction control that was on by default everytime you start the car, but had the button to disable it. I've run into the above situation SEVERAL times and it isnt the best feeling, having the car bog way down as you get into traffic that is really moving just to prevent the wheels from spinning a little bit.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:26 PM

HDiddy9 - My purchase of an '04 Maxima was delayed by several months because I had no interest whatsoever in one without the VDC package.

The letters 'VDC' are an acronym for Vehicle Dynamic Control, which is Nissan's name for their vehicle stabilization system. VDC does such things as using short, quick braking applications on individual wheels in tight situations in order to keep oversteering or understeering from throwing the vehicle out of control.

As a driver with fifty-six years experience, I have had my fill of trying to bring a fishtailing car back under control at high speeds. VDC helps so much in avoiding such a situation.

The VDC package includes a full size matching spare tire on matching alloy wheel. Purchased from the dealer, the tire and wheel alone would cost more than the price of the VDC package.

My strong recommendation is to get the VDC package if you can possibly afford it. It is an assembly line option only, and cannot be added later by the dealer or any shop.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

------------------------------------------------------------------

so its practically having a 4WD feeling on a FWD car if im not mistaken...well since you're having more control of your car.

TCS + VDC + standard ABS in Canada =
Old 03-03-2005, 07:20 AM

Its definitely worth it, I waited an extra month to get my maxima because I wanted one with VDC. I'm very glad I waited and paid the extra money cause it saved me numerous times as well. You have the option to turn it off and it makes a big difference.

This article from Money Magazine is a bit old but worth reading:

http://money.cnn.com/2003/09/25/pf/autos/what_is_esc/
Old 03-04-2005, 06:20 AM
wsu

appreciating VDC

Originally Posted by ohthatshot
Its definitely worth it, I waited an extra month to get my maxima because I wanted one with VDC. I'm very glad I waited and paid the extra money cause it saved me numerous times as well. You have the option to turn it off and it makes a big difference.

This article from Money Magazine is a bit old but worth reading:

http://money.cnn.com/2003/09/25/pf/autos/what_is_esc/
Thanks for the link to the article. I will print it out and keep it with the other paperwork for my Maxima. It could be a significant re-selling point, especially if I sell the car privately.

The VDC w/ full sized spare was the one feature that I didn't really want at the time I purchased my car, but the article to which you provided the link and some of the other comments above have swayed me to appreciate the option, and I am glad I have it.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you for all the help. I think I have decided to spend the extra cash if it could save my life sometime, money is only green anyway right?

I was only able to find 2 cars with the VDC and no cars with traction control std in them, so they must be very rare to have TC standard because I haven't found any in NJ yet. The car I want is $400 more because it has the satellite radio, but I dont want that.

Will they charge me for it anyway since it is built into the radio even if I dont choose to activate a monthly subscription? I am assuming they will.

Thanks again, I will have pics up as soon as I get it.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by only500made
so its practically having a 4WD feeling on a FWD car if im not mistaken...
Strictly speaking, you cannot say that. 4WD distributes power to all wheels and if necessary will power the front wheel or the rear wheel or any specific wheel.

In 2003 Honda introduced a new generation Traction control system that can work with its ABS active braking control upto 53MPH. Before that it could interact with ABS circuitry only upto 25MPH.

I am sure there is such limit for Nissan's too. But my research and search were not fruitful enough to know Nissan's speed limit

Seems like VDC will work at all speeds, but the ABS circuitary associated with it to control and automatically apply brakes may not. So, can we say VDC is indirectly useless above certain speed limit? I am still searching for an answer. But that did not stop me from going for VDC. Having something is better than having nothing.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:30 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

My G35 came standard with VDC and I'm glad have it. These cars are very tail happy and the VDC keeps everything in check on the street. When I want to get a little frisky, I turn it off. Many experts believe stability control is the most important safety device since the introduction of the seat belt. ABS hasn't been proved to make much difference in crash avoidance and vehicle control, however in the few years stability control has been available, the data suggests that it is saving lives, injuries, and money. I expect this system will come standard on most every car in the near future. There's nothing eleaborate about it. It simply uses the ABS, throttle-by-wire, and accelerometers/yaw sensors.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by HDiddy9
Thank you for all the help. I think I have decided to spend the extra cash if it could save my life sometime, money is only green anyway right?

I was only able to find 2 cars with the VDC and no cars with traction control std in them, so they must be very rare to have TC standard because I haven't found any in NJ yet. The car I want is $400 more because it has the satellite radio, but I dont want that.

Will they charge me for it anyway since it is built into the radio even if I dont choose to activate a monthly subscription? I am assuming they will.

Thanks again, I will have pics up as soon as I get it.
They'll charge you for the SAT option because it's the equipment price... if the car didn't have it and you went to the dealership afterwards to install it,
they'd probably charge you $400-500 depending on their labor rates. If you're willing to play hardball and wait a couple of months, they'll be dying to get rid of the '05s by June... if the car is still around then you can probably get it discounted.

I was in the same boat last year when I went to get my '04... it was "pick off the lot" so it was colors first, options second. That's what happens when you wait to get a deal... you can get a good price on a new car, but you might not get exactly what you want as far as options. I didn't even consider VDC to be a big deal when looking... I think it's "nice to have" but not absolutely necessary... IMO anyway. It's all up to the driver, since I've seen people with 4x4s, AWD/FWD/RWD on the side of the road when it snows because they don't know how to respect the snow. Some people can have all the gadgets and gizmos in the world, and if they don't know how to drive they'll still end up in the ditch.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:24 PM

VCC helps me not spin the wheels on my maxima, very worth while

next car is going to be RWD