6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Headlights

Do you get flashed by oncoming traffic that your high beams are on when they are not? I seem to get this all the time, even with the fog lights off. The light beam is tight right in front of the car, but seems to go on forever. Also, the high beams do not really improve lighting that much. A guy at work that just bought a nissan truck says it happens to him all the time also.

What's up?

Skip
Old 03-04-2005, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by SkipI
Do you get flashed by oncoming traffic that your high beams are on when they are not? I seem to get this all the time, even with the fog lights off. The light beam is tight right in front of the car, but seems to go on forever. Also, the high beams do not really improve lighting that much. A guy at work that just bought a nissan truck says it happens to him all the time also.

What's up?

Skip
Do you have Xenon lights? I have non Xenon and drive with the fog lights on all the time....never gotten flashed once. My high beams work pretty well, never have the need to use them though. Your lights might be out of allignment though, it happens. Take it to the dealer and have them check it out. Most of the flashing stories I hear on this forum are from Xenon guys. One thing to keep in mind though, many people on the roads are not used to Xenon lights and they do stand out.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:55 PM

You know what's funny, I got pulled over for my headlights about a month ago. The cop thought that my highbeams were on. When I told him that they weren't, he made me put my highbeams on. He checked, came back, and than proceeded to tell me that my lights were illegal. I told him that they were factory and he insisted that they must be aftermarket. I popped the hood and showed it to him. Since he couldn't give me a ticket for my lights, he got me for my tints.

Anyways, I only get flashed maybe like once a month. I don't believe that my lights are out of alignment...I think that the people that flash me aren't use to seeing HID's.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Flash

no, my lights are not the HID.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by rabenoja
You know what's funny, I got pulled over for my headlights about a month ago. The cop thought that my highbeams were on. When I told him that they weren't, he made me put my highbeams on. He checked, came back, and than proceeded to tell me that my lights were illegal. I told him that they were factory and he insisted that they must be aftermarket. I popped the hood and showed it to him. Since he couldn't give me a ticket for my lights, he got me for my tints.

Anyways, I only get flashed maybe like once a month. I don't believe that my lights are out of alignment...I think that the people that flash me aren't use to seeing HID's.
stupid cop...
Old 03-04-2005, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by SkipI
no, my lights are not the HID.
Probably out of allignment than...take it to the dealer and have them fix it for free. That would be the only reason you are getting flashed without Xenon. I see many non Xenon cars on the road that have one headlight way out of allignment that blinds me. Hey it happens. Again, just get it fixed at the dealer.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by jrod1014
stupid cop...
Like I said though, alot of people are not used to seeing the HID....Lincolm Mark VIII, when it came out with HID....lots of problems. I would not really call the cop stupid, must misinformed. Look at all the aftermarket do it yourself Honda kits with aftermarket HID lights you see on the road.....the cops are aware of that as a safety issue. There are some kits I have seen first hand that blinded me......just keep that in mind. Hell, the Audi HID lights tripped alot of people out at first, but now many people are doing retrofit Audi HID kits....if they are not alligned right.....you get what I am going at. It can actually be a safety issue. Yes, HID is pretty, and it illuminates well.....but if used inproperly, and installed without allignment....

Granted, I am just speaking in defense of cops on the issue. I like to be the devils advocate.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Banned

I have HID...and have been flashed on hilly country roads in pitch darkness....I guess there is nothing you can do about these things, because when the car is going over hills and is at eyelevel with someone its gonna be as bright as if the highbeams were on. I think some people either don't know these arent highbeams, or are being annoyed by the very bright light. In some situations, theres nothing you can do. I havent been flashed in months, because ive been on well lit, large roads. I do believe that my lights could be pointed a little more at the road, becasue my dad's ES300 has self-leveling Xenons...and they light the road alot more.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:16 PM

Headlight Alignment DIY

Anyone!

I've had issues with my headlights as well. I have HID/Xenon headlights on my 05' Maxima SE. I did take it to the dealership and they said they adjusted it to the lowest level on my driver's side that was the brightest. It was still brighter than the passenger side. So I tinkered around in the engine compartment and found the vertical adjustment and lowered it even further. Now it's not brighter than the other, but you can definitely see on the road it's lower than the other. It also is not "bluish" like typical HID/Xenon lights are.

My question...since the topic is headlights is...does anyone know where the horizontal adjustment is? I would like to make a horizontal adjustment as well to see what that does. Again, don't trust the dealership when they already said it was at the lowest level when it was not.

Any help anyone can provide would be great...thanks!

Jimbo
Old 03-06-2005, 11:50 PM

I've noticed 6th gen max's have their headlights aimed very high from the factory, with projectors, a few degrees will make a huge difference in glare. Also, the ES330 HIDs are pretty bad, if not the worst.. I can honestly say the HID kit in my 4th gen doesnt produce as much glare, which is sad.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:46 PM

Well my dad has the ES330 and I agree that the road is more illuminated than with my max HID's. Although, when we take his car out we don't get flashed at all...I think that the auto-leveling plays a big part in this. Maybe auto-leveling will soon be an option...or at least it should be....maybe even standard with the HID option.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:53 PM
wsu

xenons flashed too

I get flashed about once a week or so, especially when I am driving on two lane roads. In response I sometimes flash my brights to let the other driver know that what they thougth were my brights were in fact not.

As far as I can tell, my lights are aligned properly. When I pull up at a stoplight behind a truck or van with my dims on, the upper margin of illumination from my xenon headlights is lower than the rear view mirror of the vehicle in front of me.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you can raise and lower the headlights on a murano by using a button on the dash. its a pretty cool feature, not sure why they didnt put it in the max. but then again, it would suck if it was to break on one side, then you'll have your headlights out of whack.