6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Been thinking on getting a bluetooth device

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 07:27 AM

Been thinking on getting a bluetooth device

Hi guys, reading thorugh some of the posts here, resurrected and old forgotted idea that I had with my Solara '04, on getting a Parrot Bluetooth device for the car, the one that connects to your radio and it mutes the radio and you use the Audio System to hear phone calls. I gave up on the Solara because it said that it will not work with pre-Amp Audio System, but now that I'm seeing that there is a device that will let you even use your Wheel controls and can connect Ipods, Mp3 players and other devices I was thinking that this device can also let me hook up this bluetooth device.

Hey, I don't know if you have seen it working, but the main reason I was contemplating on getting a TL was simply by this, so you can imagine it made quite an impression on me, and now that I got the Maxima over the TL I would love to have that feature also.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated (Note: I'm not a Electrical savvy, but can follow instructions and manage myself very good doing it, only thing that kills me are Tech terms that I simply don't understand, so in simple English I can get it) Thanks in advance, again.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by erasat
Hi guys, reading thorugh some of the posts here, resurrected and old forgotted idea that I had with my Solara '04, on getting a Parrot Bluetooth device for the car, the one that connects to your radio and it mutes the radio and you use the Audio System to hear phone calls. I gave up on the Solara because it said that it will not work with pre-Amp Audio System, but now that I'm seeing that there is a device that will let you even use your Wheel controls and can connect Ipods, Mp3 players and other devices I was thinking that this device can also let me hook up this bluetooth device.
PM Nate Finch and see how far he got on his side... he posted a couple of threads looking for similar stuff, and you never know, he might have something already. Even if not, it's better than trying to reinvent the wheel.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ight=bluetooth

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ight=bluetooth

As far as steering wheel controls, you have to read between the lines to know what you're getting. Even if you interface the bluetooth kit with the car audio (probably using the AAI-NIS) and mount the microphone somewhere, you still have no REAL integration like "that other car" has. There's no interface for the phone -- to see who's calling, to dial the numbers, etc. You have to use the phone itself for that. The good thing about HFL is that it integrates into the car... you can see who's calling on the screen, you can dial the phone using a keypad, etc. So you just keep your phone in your pocket and call it a day.

With aftermarket bluetooth kits -- at least the ones I've seen -- you get none of that. You get a screen for caller ID in some cases, but that's about it. Sucks big-time, and even more when a new company announces that they're bringing hands-free to their cars.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated (Note: I'm not a Electrical savvy, but can follow instructions and manage myself very good doing it, only thing that kills me are Tech terms that I simply don't understand, so in simple English I can get it) Thanks in advance, again.
I don't think there's much to do as far as the installation goes... depending on which kit you get, you just mount it somewhere, mount the mic somewhere within range of the driver (usually A pillar or around the rearview) and make the electrical connections. If there's a mute lead then it usually tells you how to plug everything in clearly (see one of those threads that I linked to) and that's that.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:42 PM

Thanks for the info, I will certainly read the info n the links you sent me, thanks.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:02 AM

Well, Nate Finch hasn't responded my PM, so anybody else have some ideas or knowledge about it?

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:33 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well, Nate Finch hasn't responded my PM, so anybody else have some ideas or knowledge about it?

Thanks.
Well there's not really much to do... there are only so many kits on the market, and none of them will give you 100% integration with the car (AFAIK). It would be ridiculously cool if you could somehow interface with the info screen to display caller ID stuff for example, but I know that's probably never gonna happen -- well, maybe not never, but it's probably beyond the realm of most people on this site. What would REALLY suck would be if Nissan introduced Bluetooth in the '06-07 Max... that'd **** me off pretty bad...

But back to the topic at hand...

Your options now are to go find a bluetooth kit and figure out the installation. The choices are a) with a screen like the Parrot and some others or b) just plain like some of the Sony Ericcson ones. The ones with the screen give you caller ID and some control over dialing from your phonebook, while the plain ones just let you answer/hang up and that's about it. As far as features go, all you're gonna find at the most is radio mute, and probably profiles for different users.

What gets me about these setups is that it feels very "tacked on" -- kind of like the ipod integration business going on now. You can listen to the ipod through the HU, but you can't control it... that's the same type of thing that you'd get with 100% of the aftermarket car kits available now, mostly because they were not designed to integrate with any type of car. To be fair, the HFL stuff that Honda/Acura uses is expensive as hell... you have noise-cancelling microphones, VR software, etc.

I've been wrestling with the idea for some time myself (looked at that TL as well, even left a deposit on one before I changed my mind last year)... I haven't found a decent bluetooth kit that would integrate nicely with the Maxima. But don't let that stop you from trying... if nothing else, let me know if you come across anything...
Old 03-10-2005, 12:14 PM

Thanks viguera.

Well, the only kit that I like right now is the Parrot CK3100, it's features are great, caller ID display, Voice Dial, it displays Signal and Battery life Bars, etc..., similar features as on the one in the Acura TL, only difference is that the TL integrates it to it's Panel. But I can live with it.

Only thing I will need Car Audio System for it is to Mute radio when in a call, and that way to use system's speakers. Problem is that parrot Instructions insist that this device will not work with Pre-Amp Systems like I assume Maxima's are, so what I want to be sure is that if this kits that are being used for Ipods, Dvds and other devices can also be used for this bluetooth kits. i have searched in google, different forums, and info is to little, and very confused.

Well, what I wanted was somebody that can be thinking the same and maybe have found a way to do it, or is willing to share ideas on how to do a MOD like this for our Gen 6 Maximas.