6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

GPS NAV System

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 01:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

GPS NAV System

For people who have the GPS NAV system, do you think this thing is worth the $2,000 price tag.

I mean, it seems like a watered down PC with very little functionality, other than looking pretty.

The screen that goes in place of the GPS system (if you don't order it) seems purposely made to be ugly, with it's amber yellow type face that does not match anyting else in the car.

I would think that for $2,000 I could have something nice installed in that space.

Anyone have this system installed in their car? Thoughts.

Old 03-21-2005, 01:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I don't have it, because 1) I didn't think it was worth it and 2) because I picked the car off the lot without it and didn't have it built. If I had to have the car built, I might have thought about it...

Personally I drive 95% of the time or more around the same areas... places that I know and that I don't need navigation for. But the other 10% of the time my laptop and USB GPS receiver have been literally invaluable. Whether it's getting back home after going somewhere new... or finding a way around a closed highway/traffic jam, or just plain old looking for a place. I don't miss it because I have alternatives, but I do miss the integration with the car (which I'm working on for a while now).

Case in point, I was headed out to Cape May last Thursday night... I get a call 3 blocks from the Lincoln Tunnel telling me my brother-in-law was at "Franklin Hospital, somewhere around the Southern State in Long Island" (no kidding, those are the directions I got). At times like that you're thankful for being able to press a couple of buttons and bolt to your destination, rather than have to get directions and talk to somebody that might not even know how to get around.

But the times I've used mapping software to get me around has been once in a blue moon. The stuff comes in handy if I'm out of town, but most of the time I fly rather than drive out there, so it wouldn't help me to have it in the car.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:07 PM

In a word, no.

Its not really a piece of crap or anything, and could be worthwhile to complete being fully loaded or if you do travel a lot. I have nav in the maxima as well as a $500 Harman Kardon traffic pro in the F150, and I like the traffic pro MUCH MUCH better, even though its a lot simpler unit.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:54 PM

For me, I just had to have it. I just like my car to be fully loaded. I hate seeing other Max's with Navi and mine without. If you had the money to get an aftermarket unit, I would suggest you do that instead. Especially because you will be able to watch DVD plus have the use of the Navigation. IMO, I like the Navi but it's not as good as the one that I have in my Navigator. The one in my Navigator is touch screen. That's another reason why you should go with the aftermarket if you have the cash on hand. I had to finance most of the car, so an aftermarket unit was out of the question for me.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:18 PM

I went with the navigation system. I use it maybe once a month, but I couldn't imagine not having it. Definitely worth the money for me. Plus the non-navi screen is pretty ugly for a 30k car.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:23 PM
SuPeRmOd

basically, I prob. would of taken the Navi if it was on my car at the dealer. but to order it, i would of lost discounts and paid about $4k for it. when i learned it was not a DVD player, i was happy i didn't get it.

as far as looks go, take that $2k or even a lil more and get a really nice touch screen aftermarket set up.

I love the non-navi screen. there's a sticky if your brave enough to change the color. but if i disliked it, i'd save to move it down and put a nice set up in.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:31 PM

I love the Nav. It's great knowing that you can go just about anywhere without the worry of possibly getting lost. If you make a wrong turn the navi puts you back on track. If it's not too much of a financial burden, I say get it. I think all cars should have it. I must admit though that I'm not familiar with the Navs in other cars. The touch screen capabilities of other systems sounds like a good time saver. Anyway, I'm pleased with my Maxi's Navi.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:50 PM

Love it

The navi was made for folks like me. I can can get lost in my own backyard...really. If you take the time to set it up right it can really be fun and very useful. 2k is alot but for me worth it.
P.S. I read on one of the threads somwhere that the OEM Nav sys can be converted to play DVD's.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:29 PM

I paid invoice for the Nav in my Maxima (something like $1700) and it is the best purchase decision i have ever made. It has saved my bacon hundreds of times, even on well know places that I travel to frequently.

I don't care if it doesn't play DVD's or cook me dinner, it was well worth the price and I will never buy another car without nav installed.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jopa416
The screen that goes in place of the GPS system (if you don't order it) seems purposely made to be ugly, with it's amber yellow type face that does not match anyting else in the car.
I like to think that the screen color is actually "radiant ember".

I would think that for $2,000 I could have something nice installed in that space.
You shouldn't have to lose your fifth seat either. A car as big as the Maxima and it can only seat four if you get the GPS? That's a bunch of crap, IMO. I don't know if the 05's are that way, but that's what kept me away from the GPS in '04. Go with an aftermarket unit and have TWO screens (not one cluttered with too much info), and a FIFTH seat. Best of both worlds. Any aftermarket touch-screen will perform far better than the stock Nissan unit.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:36 AM

I have an 05 and i am very happy with the Navi I love being able to type in a phone number and it does the rest, or find resturants close to my location. Best option on the car.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:21 PM

http://www.gnetcanada.com/
Old 03-23-2005, 08:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's worth every penny to me. I use the car for sales calls and I'm always going to new jobsites. Thats the only option I care about. Well A/C is a must to. Hahahah.