6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 12:28 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Lowering Springs

Ok, I have some questions (actually one compound) about lowering springs that I dont think have been answered yet....

1) Can you buy only 2 springs, or do they only come in 4's?
2) If they only come in fours, what did all the members that only lowered the front do with the remaining 2?
3)Are the front and back springs interchangable pairs? Meaning, can I put two rear springs in the front so that you minimize the drop?
4) and finally, does anyone have extra pairs of lowering or SE rear stock springs?

Thanks,

-MO-
Old 03-30-2005, 06:30 AM

Mo,

I just finished putting on my Eibach springs two weeks ago. Springs come in four. I only had my springs put in the front. Eventually I will put them in the back too but for now I wanted to see how my ride would feel with only the two in the front. So far so good. I haven't done anything with my rears springs. I just have them laying around the shop. I have no complaints and the feel of the ride has not been compromised.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:38 AM

I think Mr. Black answered everything~~ I'm running the same setup...
Old 03-30-2005, 08:58 AM

Not a car expert by any means, but I have the eibach springs and to answer your question about putting the rear springs in the front. I don't think you can as the size of the two front springs are different than the rear springs. Not only the ride height but the actual size and shape of the spring as well. So I don't think the rear springs would fit in the front nor would they support the weight of the engine, etc. I do have the original SE springs but I am hanging onto them incase I ever need to raise the car back up.

Sean
Old 03-30-2005, 11:10 PM

Has ANYONE lowered just the front end of an SL??

Does anyone here recommend leaving the stock SL rear springs while putting Eibachs in the front?

-MO-
Old 03-31-2005, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by MObruin
Has ANYONE lowered just the front end of an SL??

Does anyone here recommend leaving the stock SL rear springs while putting Eibachs in the front?

-MO-
The SL and SE have the same rear springs. So if you can do it on the SE you can on the SL
Old 03-31-2005, 05:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

mobruin~

pm sent regarding the springs
Old 03-31-2005, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by 95Max
The SL and SE have the same rear springs. So if you can do it on the SE you can on the SL

Is this true?? Can anyone back this info up??

No offense 95max, I just want to make sure cause this is the first time I'm hearing about this.

-MO-
Old 03-31-2005, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by MObruin
Is this true?? Can anyone back this info up??

No offense 95max, I just want to make sure cause this is the first time I'm hearing about this.

-MO-
None taken. The broshure for my 04 says that the SE has the sport tuned suspension whick is firmer struts and front springs. It makes no mention of the rear springs...so I assume that they are the same on SL and SE.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:58 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

how can it be? when the SE are stiff and the SL are floaty, that can't be just the tires.. you feel when you have stiff struts and springs... the SL owners claim the SE was too stiff for them so they went with the SL.......... are you saying its all in the tires?

cause they might have the same spring and all, but the coils might be farther apart for each other you know..

the strut also, it has to be more stiff to stop it from floating and give the stiff suspention ride...
Old 03-31-2005, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
how can it be? when the SE are stiff and the SL are floaty, that can't be just the tires.. you feel when you have stiff struts and springs... the SL owners claim the SE was too stiff for them so they went with the SL.......... are you saying its all in the tires?

cause they might have the same spring and all, but the coils might be farther apart for each other you know..

the strut also, it has to be more stiff to stop it from floating and give the stiff suspention ride...
These are all valid points! Anyone else have any input on whether or not the back springs are the same on SE and SL's?
Old 03-31-2005, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq

The SL is floaty? Huh...guess I got lucky as mine is not. You want floaty drive a Lincoln Town Car. Shock and strut tuning makes a large impact in the ride. Take an adj strut and go from the soft to the firm setting and you will see what I am talking about.

This from the 04 Max brochure and I quote "Sport-tuned suspension - firmer front springs, revised front strut and rear shock tuning (3.5 SE)".

Notice what's missing the rear springs. If they were different why only mention the fronts. So the logical conclusion is that the rear springs are the same in the SL and SE.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:37 PM

Sure wish we had an .org member that worked at a Nissan Dealer.....
Old 03-31-2005, 07:33 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Jayzmax04
Sure wish we had an .org member that worked at a Nissan Dealer.....
there are some. one guy is our resident OEM supplier. others have mentioned they worked for Nissan or the dealer. I suppose if you were a donating member, you could do an extensive seach.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:38 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by 95Max
None taken. The broshure for my 04 says that the SE has the sport tuned suspension whick is firmer struts and front springs. It makes no mention of the rear springs...so I assume that they are the same on SL and SE.

I know for a fact that the Struts on the SL and SE Auto w/ Leather are the exact same part #. http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...54&postcount=4

tires/wheels play a large roll in the suspension and handling.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
I know for a fact that the Struts on the SL and SE Auto w/ Leather are the exact same part #. http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...54&postcount=4

tires/wheels play a large roll in the suspension and handling.
Cool, so are the rear springs the same part number for the SE and SL??