6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Locked Out Again (solved)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 05:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

In my Max, pulling the handle does not unlock the door. I have another issue. The car is set to lock all door in 1 minute. This only works if I push the unlock button on the key fob. This make the auto door lock feature useless. If I need to push a button every time why won't I just push the lock button.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:21 AM
.org extraordinaire

UHm....................

Y dont y'all who like to leave the keys in the car, take the key fob with you. You can leave the car running A/C or Heater on and just take the keyfob, press the lock button and go. When your on your way back to your car you can press the unlock button and hop back in. They have those split keychain rings you can unsnap in one quick move.

I do this all the time, if I have to leave my car idling for more then a few minutes i shut it down. But they keyfob will lock unluck the car wheter its running or not.

Thanks,

Kam
Old 09-29-2005, 06:35 AM

It happened to me with the car running, too. However, I figured out by going through my NAV system, there is a "auto lock" feature. Mine was set to 2 mins..That had to be what locked me out. I was out of my car for hours and had to get a key cut by Nissan to get back in the damn thing. They needed the vin. I went to look in the window and the damn vin was covered by a piece of foam or some shet. PISSED me off!! I had to call the dealer where I bought it for them to look up the purchase to give parts the vin to cut me a key. I turned that feature off, but still when I get out of the car, I slightly lower the window where I can get my arm in.
Oh, while locked out, I called AAA and they were on the way. This is when I called Nissan and they told me the Maxima is impossible to use a slimjim on and AAA would ruin my door.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 02MaxGLE
Oh, while locked out, I called AAA and they were on the way. This is when I called Nissan and they told me the Maxima is impossible to use a slimjim on and AAA would ruin my door.
Haaa thats hilarious. Get Nissan Roadside Assistance to send a replacement vehicle instead since yours is "ruined"!!

I've been locked out once or twice. I never leave the car running when I leave without at least cracking open the window so I can get back in if it happens again.

CM
Old 09-29-2005, 08:59 AM

It used to happen to my 04SL almost always. It happens almost never on my 05 SE and also I am much more careful to watch that lever! So now when I want the door unlocked, I check the lever before closing the door and I close it carefully....and just in case I had a flat spare made and keep it in my wallet! Still love my MAX.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:25 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
Y dont y'all who like to leave the keys in the car, take the key fob with you. You can leave the car running A/C or Heater on and just take the keyfob, press the lock button and go. When your on your way back to your car you can press the unlock button and hop back in. They have those split keychain rings you can unsnap in one quick move.

I do this all the time, if I have to leave my car idling for more then a few minutes i shut it down. But they keyfob will lock unluck the car wheter its running or not.

Thanks,

Kam
that would make too much sense and contains too much reason to prevent car theft. "I'll leave the car running unattended; gee i hope someone hops in and takes it."

so we have someone that states "Nissan just sends AAA" and another with the actual experiecne "Nissan says AAA can't help".
I have Nissan Roadside, and they better send a Nissan expert to open my car, not break into it.

For the Auto Lock feature, it "shouldn't" work with the key in the ignition. I know it doesn't engage while we are driving. and you can't lock the doors if driver door is open (except fot he manual switch). I "think" this has finally happened to me, but of course, knowing my key was in the car and that I would be right next to it, I had the windows all the way down.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:12 PM

I had to have the driver's side door lock replaced two months ago on my 04. It started when I would hit the unlock on the keypad and all doors opened except the driver's door. Eventually, the driver's side door would not unlock at all. The key could not open it from the outside and the only way to open it was to pull the handle from the inside by going in through another door. You could not even push the unlock tab on the door from the inside.
No sign of tampering with the lock from the out side (heaven forbid).
A new lock cylinder was ordered and replaced by the dealer. Took two trips to fix.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:12 PM
gec

Originally Posted by 02MaxGLE
They would send a AAA Locksmith not a light service vehicle with a slim jim...I've seen these guys make keys for $100k mercedes in 5 minutes

Old 09-29-2005, 06:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

auto lock feature

Originally Posted by golden1
In my Max, pulling the handle does not unlock the door. I have another issue. The car is set to lock all door in 1 minute. This only works if I push the unlock button on the key fob. This make the auto door lock feature useless. If I need to push a button every time why won't I just push the lock button.
Is this autolock feature normal?
Old 09-30-2005, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by golden1
Is this autolock feature normal?
It was on from the factory in my car..I turned it off after I got locked out. I am not sure how it works because the car never locks on it's own while I am in it. I think the purpose is if you unlock it with the remote and never open the door, it will relock in whatever time you have set. Yet the bastard locked me out.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Okay let me get this straight...autolock

I'm always worried about not setting my alarm and on my previous 02 Maxima I had an aftermarket alarm that would lock the doors after a minute. Great peace of mind if you tend to be forgetful or worry whether or not you locked your doors or not.

I have a barebones SE with no packages of any kind. So this autolock feature works only if:

1) the key is out of the ignition
2) all doors are closed
3) and I press the unlock button on the key fob?

That is kind of ridiculous...why not push the lock button? I would see this function making more sense if it truly did automatically lock your doors once the key was out of the ignition and all doors were closed and inactivity for the minute.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the reply, but...

According to post #41, that is what this person had to do to activate the autolock feature. I've set it to lock after one minute and I've waited for more than a minute and the door doesn't lock by itself.

Do you have to have one of the "packages" in order for this feature to work or do I have a faulty autolock?
Old 10-07-2005, 05:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

mrdwong is 100% right. I must press the unlock button for the autolock feature to work. My car will not lock in one minute unless I press the unlock button.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:17 AM
Newbie just Registered

I'm not aware of stock Nissan keyless entry has an autolock feature. I know it has auto RE-lock feature, is that what some of you are thinking? Two completely different things. Autolock locks doors automatically, auto re-lock only locks after the doors have been unlocked and not opened, ie accaidently pressed the unlock button.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:30 AM
SuPeRmOd

that may be how it works. we should find out for sure. If some are walking away hoping that the doors will lock, and they will not.....

My only experience was unlocking to get in, but instead standing by and talking, then the doors locked. That would coincide with your RE-lock description.

I suppose that's a good feature for those that have sat on their key fob and unintentionally unlocked/rolled down the windows. atleast then the car will be armed and sound if opened.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:37 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
that may be how it works. we should find out for sure. If some are walking away hoping that the doors will lock, and they will not.....

My only experience was unlocking to get in, but instead standing by and talking, then the doors locked. That would coincide with your RE-lock description.

I suppose that's a good feature for those that have sat on their key fob and unintentionally unlocked/rolled down the windows. atleast then the car will be armed and sound if opened.
I'm just a little MIFFED that you can roll down the damn windows, but not up w/ remote.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:11 AM
SuPeRmOd

I know, but you can use the key to roll up or down. discussed before it's most likely a saftey issue. so someone doesn't reach in while you're far away rolling them up
Old 10-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi

Thanks everyone for being patient with this thread...I know it's evolved from the original problem, but I guess it seems to have drawn interest.

I have the auto RE-lock on (after 1 minute) and I park my car in the garage and when I use it in the morning, it is still unlock.

My theory is that you must have one of the packages to operate this feature. I believe that even though it's a stock SE, the menu options are the same because I think (haven't verified) you can see a lot of the options for the preferred driver's package (steering wheel lifts up, seat slides back on open etc.), but won't work on the stock SE. Just a theory.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by mrdwong
Thanks everyone for being patient with this thread...I know it's evolved from the original problem, but I guess it seems to have drawn interest.

I have the auto RE-lock on (after 1 minute) and I park my car in the garage and when I use it in the morning, it is still unlock...
We MAKE IT A POINT to always STICK to the original topic here on the Org

The auto re-lock does not lock the car for you automatically. It only locks the car if you unlocked the car and not open any doors, in your case after 1 minute. If you want to lock the car automatically once you are out of the car, you need to either get a piggyback system or an upgraded system.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:48 AM

Roll the window down if doors are closed and car is started
Old 02-22-2007, 02:30 PM
SmokinMaxSE

My 04 locks the doors while the engine is running and I get out and close the door. I don't push the unlock switch to get out, I just pull the lever and open the door to get out. When I shut the door it locks after a few seconds?????????

This is the most stupid thing ever!!! It would be nice to have the doors lock when the car moves but no !!!!!!! The car would rather lock the door for you when you jump out to grab something.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:14 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

except the original post nobody has mentioned a "flat" key; weird
Old 07-08-2007, 07:22 AM
GrandPa

To shut off auto lock press settings button till you get to personal options. Press the joy stick down till you reach AUTO LOCK, than turn it to off. Push setting button to clear screen.