6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Exhausts,Pipes,Cats,etc

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 02:02 PM

Exhausts,Pipes,Cats,etc

Hey all has anyone put on a borla exhaust system on their 6th gen? Does anyone have any info or suggestions about this? Just want to know what ppl are saying or not saying about borla.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by DbK05
Hey all has anyone put on a borla exhaust system on their 6th gen? Does anyone have any info or suggestions about this? Just want to know what ppl are saying or not saying about borla.
Not sure if Borla makes a kit for the Maxima, but might have a universal set of mufflers. Borla makes good stuff, not cheap though.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Not saying much, they dont make them for the Maxima, at least according to their web site.

Anyone correct me if im wrong....
Old 04-11-2005, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jayzmax04
Not saying much, they dont make them for the Maxima, at least according to their web site.

Anyone correct me if im wrong....
I don't think they make a full cat back system, you should be able to get some universal mufflers from them. That would only be a sound mod though without a full cat back. They are high quality. Sound real good on muscle cars at least.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the info guys wish those guys would make a system for the Maxima they do for the G35.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:49 PM
KC's FINEST

Ive been talking with them the past couple days... they dont have plans for a full cat sys. as of yet...? The only system I can find is the Greddy. Im not sure I like how the outputs arent centered. Ive ordered new Magnaflows and hopefully my muffler guy can help with the rest. I found an amazing deal on Magnaflows BTW, if anybody's interested.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
Ive been talking with them the past couple days... they dont have plans for a full cat sys. as of yet...? The only system I can find is the Greddy. Im not sure I like how the outputs arent centered. Ive ordered new Magnaflows and hopefully my muffler guy can help with the rest. I found an amazing deal on Magnaflows BTW, if anybody's interested.
magnaflow is the way im going..
Old 04-11-2005, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
Are you doing just mufflers or having custom piping done?
Old 04-11-2005, 04:31 PM
KC's FINEST

Ive bought the mufflers and my buddy seems to think he can make the rest. He also said he knew where I could get a much cheaper y-pipe. I'll ask when my mag's show up
Old 04-11-2005, 04:44 PM

Sweet keep us informed!
Old 04-11-2005, 06:50 PM

Define "amazing deal" please!
Old 04-11-2005, 08:14 PM
*moderator*

I talked to the guys from Borla in person at a shop that was having a vendor day and they said they have no plans to make a kit for the Max. He said "nobody asks for exhaust for a maxima!!"
So I walked away knowing I had my Magnaflows already...
I remember reading that Maganflow was looking for a Maxima to make up a kit on, I checked the site and I couldn't find anything. Maybe someon local should call them. Too bad I have mine already, they are just blocks from my work...
Old 04-11-2005, 08:15 PM
*moderator*

Has anyone talked to Bryan at Berk? He was working on a kit, he used me for the 1st phase but I haven't talked to him in a while...
Old 04-11-2005, 09:12 PM

So how do you go about getting the exhaust done? Do you order the mufflers from magnaflow and then get a shop to bend you a system?
Old 04-12-2005, 02:03 PM

So how do you go about getting the exhaust done? Do you order the mufflers from magnaflow and then get a shop to bend you a system?
Thats what I did. I got the magnaflows, and had someone bend new, larger pipes to fit the car. I cut out the resonators too. I think thats the cheapest, and most performance producing way to go (correct me if I'm wrong).

The mags cost 150 a piece
The work/piping cost another 180

I think I got a good deal all way round.

Old 04-12-2005, 07:39 PM

A custom pipe job is only as good as the worst bend in the pipe, so please make sure you go to a good place to have it done.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
Has anyone talked to Bryan at Berk? He was working on a kit, he used me for the 1st phase but I haven't talked to him in a while...
Spoke to someone there at BERK and they said that production for the catback for the max was still in the air. They were not sure if there would be a demand for it and not to expect it anytime soon.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

nobody asks for exhaust for a maxima
Maybe the same reason NISMO makes nothing for it?
Maybe because it's a family car? Sorry, had to.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:51 PM

Yeah, true...
Only a fraction of Maxima owners actually add aftermarket exhausts to their cars. The majority of the people buy these for the comfort and not "racing performance."
That's why I sold my eclipse and bought the max...
However, I'm sure we'll be seeing more parts as time moves on
Old 04-29-2005, 11:42 PM

While were talking about exhausts, I've come to learn that the exhaust on the Max is not Stainless Steel. Can't believe it.... big disappointment.... If this is true, then I'll be looking at a new one soon enough down the road. Does anyone know if you can get a factory stainless steel replacement??? Cost???
Old 04-30-2005, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by MastMax
While were talking about exhausts, I've come to learn that the exhaust on the Max is not Stainless Steel. Can't believe it.... big disappointment.... If this is true, then I'll be looking at a new one soon enough down the road. Does anyone know if you can get a factory stainless steel replacement??? Cost???
Where did tou hear that from?? Im was under the impression that is non polished stainless steel. Guys correct me if I am wrong!
Old 05-02-2005, 12:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MastMax
Your kidding, right? No car has factory stainless steel exhaust and I dont know why you think they do?

Stainless stell is the only reason the aftermarket cat backs cost $800 instead of $250 and is too expensive to use from the factory, as well as uneccesary. It would be stupid to replace your exhaust just to get stainless steel.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Alti9
Your kidding, right? No car has factory stainless steel exhaust and I dont know why you think they do?

Stainless stell is the only reason the aftermarket cat backs cost $800 instead of $250 and is too expensive to use from the factory, as well as uneccesary. It would be stupid to replace your exhaust just to get stainless steel.
newbi got a point why would any replace their mufflers with stock stainless steel? just get the magnaflows
Old 05-03-2005, 06:37 PM

Take a look at most GM car spec's..... I've had three Buick's ('90 - '98) with stainless steel exhausts and never had to replace any of them.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:17 PM
Maxima of the Month Winner

Newbies got a point.......and it's on top of his head!

The 6th gen Max has an exhuast system made of stainless steel tubing and the cat is stainless (The resonator is galvanized steel). My 1990 Maxima SE had a stainless steel system. My son's 2000 Max has a stainless steel exhaust system. My 1996 Ford P/U has stainless exhaust.

The truth is, every decent car or truck built these days (and for the last 15 years) has a stainless steel exhaust system. Stainless steel lasts forever, never rusts out and is therefore easier for the factory to warrantee.

Just because your exhaust system isn't all "shiny", doesn't mean it's not stainless steel. Polishing it up to look like chrome is what costs money.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 04RedOpMax
Newbies got a point.......and it's on top of his head!

The 6th gen Max has an exhuast system made of stainless steel tubing and the cat is stainless (The resonator is galvanized steel). My 1990 Maxima SE had a stainless steel system. My son's 2000 Max has a stainless steel exhaust system. My 1996 Ford P/U has stainless exhaust.

The truth is, every decent car or truck built these days (and for the last 15 years) has a stainless steel exhaust system. Stainless steel lasts forever, never rusts out and is therefore easier for the factory to warrantee.

Just because your exhaust system isn't all "shiny", doesn't mean it's not stainless steel. Polishing it up to look like chrome is what costs money.
Not so much.

Amazing that Midas and Meinike stay in business all these years replaceing exhaust systems that never rust.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:14 PM
Maxima of the Month Winner

Not so much.

Amazing that Midas and Meinike stay in business all these years replaceing exhaust systems that never rust.
Remember when Midas use to advertise "We only do Mufflers!"?

Now both Meineke and Midas are full service "Auto Centers", doing everthing from brakes to oil changes. Do you think that the fact that most cars these days have stainless steel exhaust systems has cut into their profits a little bit? They didn't expand the scope of their business because they were making a killing just doing mufflers!
Old 05-04-2005, 12:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

they expanded the scope of thier business a LONG time ago, and I never heard midas say that. Why would they? Its not true. You can go to midas and get a custom exhaust system if you want.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You can go to midas and get a custom exhaust system if you want.
Wonder how many of those shops can/will mandrel bend your pipes?
Old 05-06-2005, 05:30 AM

It's hard to find places where I live that does mandrel bending...