6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

-= Metal Grinding When Pushin The Gas =-

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 06:48 AM

-= Metal Grinding When Pushin The Gas =-

So I took my car to Nissan on Friday at 8:30am and told them I heard grinding of metal noise coming from the car whenever I hit the gas. I told them to roll down the windows when listening for it, because it does get pretty noticable when your up against a curb, or next to another car. So I dropped the car off, they called and I picked it up at 5:00pm, same day. I drive the car off the lot, and the Noise is STILL there, its IF they did absolutely nothing. I looked on the write-up, where they diagnosed the problem, and it says "Re-attached Loose Heat Shield". I've been having problems with the dealership ever since I got the damn car with "Shimmy" in the steering wheel, they re-surfaced my rotors like 3 times now. Now I have this noise that they "claimed fixed" but really didnt do anything but give me an oil change (which I paid for). So I called them the second I left the dealership, and my service manager would not return my calls. That was Friday, Now its monday.. and Im prolly gonna call and complain again, but is there anything further I should say / do?
Old 04-25-2005, 07:13 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Gamer,

It sounds like it might be the catalyst bracket problem. READ the stickys, the TSB is there.

Friggin dealerships...."uhhh, we cant find anything"

Has Nissan service just gone to hell or what?!!?!
Old 04-25-2005, 01:01 PM
Banned

I have the exact same problem...
Old 04-25-2005, 08:29 PM

It isn't exactly 'Nissan' service that has gone to heck; I feel the dealers are more at fault.

Those of us who have good dealer service departments (I am fortunate to be in that group) are reasonably pleased with our service. In fact, My service department treats me very well, and follows up on every visit to confirm everything is perfect.

The Maxima is a fairly complex vehicle to work on. Perhaps Nissan could do a better job of informing all dealer service departments of every known problem, and their recommended approach to fixing it.

But much of it still comes back to the dealers. Many here have a problem for which Nissan has issued a TSB, and the dealer's service folks are totally unaware of the TSB. That is very disappointing.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:00 PM

Yeah..i had that same problem..i took it to them once and they told me they couldn't check it until i put the stock airbox back in cause i had an aftermarket intake...i had paid for the 15k service so they did it really fast..usually when i leave it for a free oil change or some other tsb thing they take forever..thats y i dread leaving my car with them...well this time they did fix the problem..i had the same noise when i accelerated...they told me it was a bracket by my cat and another by my muffler so they replaced them...they then "recommended" that i do an alignment ($130), clean out my injectors ($130), and flush out my brake fluid ($130)...suuuure..like imma drop $390 dollars after having spent $190 3000 miles ago for the 15k service...i hate going to the dealership but what can we do?
Old 04-26-2005, 05:11 PM

SmokeMax310 - You said you had the '15,000 mile service'. Was this the first time you had the 15,000 mile service, or were you having it repeated at the 30k or 45K mile mark?

To flush and change the brake fluid at anything less than 30k is more of an ego thing than a necessity. Even Nissan's premium maintenance schedule does not call for brake fluid flush and change until 30k, and their other maintenance schedules specify no interval for this service; just that the service techs will check the fluid every 15K and let you know when it needs changing.

I plan to change mine at 45K, unless the techs can show me either a burnt-smelling, discolored, or otherwise problematic fluid situation. I do not expect to see that.

As to the alignment, I never allow anyone to touch my alignment unless I see some sign in the tire-wear pattern that suggests misalignment. And I do check my tires fairly often.

I would be very surprised if a Maxima with 15K was ready for injector cleaning, even if running on regular (87 octane) fuel. I would think that might be an option to consider nearer the 45K or 60K mile mark.

Just my opinion . . .
Old 04-26-2005, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
It isn't exactly 'Nissan' service that has gone to heck; I feel the dealers are more at fault.

Those of us who have good dealer service departments (I am fortunate to be in that group) are reasonably pleased with our service. In fact, My service department treats me very well, and follows up on every visit to confirm everything is perfect.

The Maxima is a fairly complex vehicle to work on. Perhaps Nissan could do a better job of informing all dealer service departments of every known problem, and their recommended approach to fixing it.

But much of it still comes back to the dealers. Many here have a problem for which Nissan has issued a TSB, and the dealer's service folks are totally unaware of the TSB. That is very disappointing.
Your dealer follows up with you to make sure everything was done right???

Damn, mine could not be more different. Most times I drive it off the lot with the same problem I drove it in for. One time it was WORSE, they gave it back to me with the service light on. Guess its my fault, I need to find a different dealer.

I do fill out the questionarres they send, and dont mind telling them that their service is lacking. Never got anything back about those though....
Old 04-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Jayzmax04
Your dealer follows up with you to make sure everything was done right???

Damn, mine could not be more different. Most times I drive it off the lot with the same problem I drove it in for. One time it was WORSE, they gave it back to me with the service light on. Guess its my fault, I need to find a different dealer.

I do fill out the questionarres they send, and dont mind telling them that their service is lacking. Never got anything back about those though....
Heh, one time I brought my Max in when my hood latch was lose and my rear view mirror was squeeking. When I picked it up that afternoon, they said that they had fixed both problems.. I hadn't driven the car 20 feet when I heard both noises. It's like the techs are completely deaf.

On a side note however, I did call a dealer about 90 miles away and explained to them that my local dealer sucked, my rotors were warping AGAIN, had a shimmy, etc, and that my local dealer wouldn't help/couldn't duplicate my issues. Funny thing though when I told him that my rotors were warped he immediately asked if I drove a Titan (I guess they have even more problems with warping rotors). Also, he said that rotors were covered to 36K (and not 12K). So I guess one day I'm gonna take off work and have them replaced (hopefully not shaved again). They even told me on the phone that "they would do whatever it takes". Pretty awesome.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:33 AM

Anyone know which number the TSB is? I didnt see it in the descriptions.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:09 AM

Great Dealer - In some cases!

Brought my car into dealer thinking what I was hearing was my transmission. They looked at and indicated was exhaust bracket that needed replacing. They immediately ordered and will be taking car tomorrow.

I use Miller Nissan in Van Nuys. The service dept. is great. They do a good job of keeping me informed of what is going on, do a great follow-up job, and do the repairs in a timely fashion.

On the other hand I would never buy a car from them. Every single car on their lot has a dealer markup posted on the window of approximately $1995. I would never buy from a dealer that had the *&(&* ***** to put an additional dealer markup over MSRP on any car. To think someone would pay this on a Maxima!
Old 04-28-2005, 09:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigcozz

if you're talking about the metal grinding sound during acceleration.

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../NTB05-021.htm
Old 05-23-2005, 07:30 PM

I sent mine in to get it fixed it was good for a week and now all i get is this noise between 2000 and 3000 rpms anyone know what else this is or do you think when they tightened this bracket that it made the thing crack and now its bad.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:23 AM

Bigcozz, I was having the same problem with my car, I have the 6 speed and no matter what gear I was in upon accelerating right at 2500 rpms I would hear that buzz till about 3000 rpms and then it would fade away. I took my car in and the tech said he drove it and that sound was produced from my intake (stillen intake). I told them I know what an intake sounds like and that isn't how it sounds. I really don't think he even drove it, just popped the hood and dismissed it to the intake. Anyway I called back with the TSB 05021 and two hours later they called and admitted that they made a mistake and fixed the buzzing sound. This was last week and I haven't had a problem since. Do you know what work they did? I would call them and have them look up the service bulletin number. I'm in Austin, TX and have to admit my service dept has been pretty good in correcting any problems I have including replacing my OEM grill because it was peeling.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:58 AM
wsu

TSB Reference

Here you go:

Service Bulletin Num : 05021
Date of Bulletin: MAR 14, 2005

Component: ENGINE
Summary: 2004-2005 MAXIMA AND QUEST; EXHAUST RATTLE / BUZZING
NOISE PRESENT DURING ACCELERATION
Old 05-30-2005, 05:33 PM

thansk alot guys i am taking it in onwednesday for that tsb and my new problem which is a metallic rattling from my rear wheels when i hit bumps. I have to say i am getting really fed up with this car. Its a total lov ehate relationship right about now.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:40 AM
wsu

ambivalence?

thansk alot guys i am taking it in onwednesday for that tsb and my new problem which is a metallic rattling from my rear wheels when i hit bumps. I have to say i am getting really fed up with this car. Its a total lov ehate relationship right about now.

Sorry to hear about your mixed feelings toward the Maxima. I'll admit it was a bit of a hassle to get the TSB addressed (three visits to the dealership 70 miles away!), but we finally got it taken care of. Now my Maxima is running, feeling, and sounding great. I get just under 30 mpg cruising on the freeway at 70 mph. I'm quite please with the car at this point. Hopefully you'll feel better when the TSB is addressed on your car.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:57 AM

TRhanks alot bro I just feel that for the money there should be less issues. I love the car but the suspension problems along with the noises i hear from time to time bother me.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:05 PM

Guys, do the buzzes/rattles you are hearing sound like a fan blade grazing a loose piece of metal or something? The '04 3.5 SL I bought my wife this weekend has this sound right after starting. After you rev the throttle a couple of times it goes away. It only seems to happen on a cold start. We have only had it a couple of days but I had her crank it this morning while the hood was up and I didn't even hear it but she says she heard it under the car on the passenger side. The reason I ask is because most people seem to complain about the noise under acceleration not at idle like ours. If this sounds familiar let me know? Some of you that are disheartened about the little things that go wrong with the 6th gen take heart. At least they ARE little things and not like the Jeep Grand Cherokee's, that tend to self destruct after 60K miles!
Old 05-31-2005, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Twinmax24K
Guys, do the buzzes/rattles you are hearing sound like a fan blade grazing a loose piece of metal or something? The '04 3.5 SL I bought my wife this weekend has this sound right after starting. After you rev the throttle a couple of times it goes away. It only seems to happen on a cold start. We have only had it a couple of days but I had her crank it this morning while the hood was up and I didn't even hear it but she says she heard it under the car on the passenger side. The reason I ask is because most people seem to complain about the noise under acceleration not at idle like ours. If this sounds familiar let me know? Some of you that are disheartened about the little things that go wrong with the 6th gen take heart. At least they ARE little things and not like the Jeep Grand Cherokee's, that tend to self destruct after 60K miles!
I used to have that sound on a cold start, but not always. Now, after my 15K service, i havent heard it for a couple of weeks now...I hope it wont come back...
Old 06-01-2005, 02:03 PM

I got my car back today they remove a piece of the heat shield and tightened the bold like in the TSB it sound much better . I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:17 AM

I just got back from the dealership. The exhaust bracket wqas broken as per the TSB. They have to order the piece. They came up with some crock story about what it was, even after I mentioned the TSB. They even went so far as to asking me what kind of gas I use. I drove around with the mechanic and insisted he check the TSB for this issue. He immediately apologized and told me I was right. Going in armed with the right info is awesome. I'd had the issue for a minute and didn't know what it was. I'm glad the dealership couldn't give me the run-around. I love the org.