6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Screen protector for Maxima NAV screen

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 02:02 PM

Screen protector for Maxima NAV screen

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

Kinda reminds me of a Sony PSP screen protector. Wonder if it will work. Does not seem that expensive. Thought some of you with the screen issues might be iinterested.....at least until Nissan comes up with something. Hey, I am always llooking for different stuff.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I don't know about anyone else, but I have never touched the screen with my bare fingers...there's no reason to. I never put anything on the little shelf in front of the screen.

I made a sun visor type thing for it out of sheet aluminum that matches the surround, so that probably helps keep it a little cleaner. If it does get dirty, it gets the same treatment as my computer monitor (LCD) - either canned air for dust, or an optical cloth and optical cleaning liquid.

Why would it ever get scratched????
Old 05-02-2005, 03:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by us024077
I don't know about anyone else, but I have never touched the screen with my bare fingers...there's no reason to. I never put anything on the little shelf in front of the screen.

I made a sun visor type thing for it out of sheet aluminum that matches the surround, so that probably helps keep it a little cleaner. If it does get dirty, it gets the same treatment as my computer monitor (LCD) - either canned air for dust, or an optical cloth and optical cleaning liquid.

Why would it ever get scratched????

Even when you do that it gets scratched.

I had a custom cover made from anti-glare glass with black vinyl trim on the edges. Looks completely stock and works great.

I wouldn't mind trying that protector if its the same sort of thin clear plastic material you adhere to the screen on a Palm Pilot.

CM
Old 05-02-2005, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo

I had a custom cover made from anti-glare glass with black vinyl trim on the edges. Looks completely stock and works great.

I wouldn't mind trying that protector if its the same sort of thin clear plastic material you adhere to the screen on a Palm Pilot.

CM
This was something that I thought....hey...cheap....might give it a try. I have a few scratches on mine. Now I use a Oakley sunglass cleaner to dust it off. My main mistake was seeing a spot, licked my finger, tried to wipe it off.....you know what happened. Does not really bother me, but I know it is there.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:35 PM

Just bought it!....
Will let you know how it turns out...
I also have very light scratches that bother me when the sun hit the screen.
Pretty confident it will hide them, at least I hope...
Old 05-03-2005, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by qlaval
Just bought it!....
Will let you know how it turns out...
I also have very light scratches that bother me when the sun hit the screen.
Pretty confident it will hide them, at least I hope...
I need to pick one up also. Let us know how it turns out. If it fits well. I bet it will hide some scratches.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:44 PM

A big TTT (to the top) for this one as alot of people have been wondering what to do for this problem. If we can just slap this cheap sucker on and be done with Nissan tearing up the dash.......sounds like a good thing for me and cheap. Still waiting on how it is. Reminds me or at least sounds like a PDA cover.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:58 AM

A couple types to choose from. I also believe it'll be worth the $15 to try out...

http://search.ebay.com/navigation-sc...trypageZsearch
Old 05-11-2005, 09:23 AM

Finally received my screen protector from eBay seller "hollandjean".
RE:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7971324134
-Easy transaction & fast shipping. 10/10

Seller did ask me the size of the screen for a custum fit.
Gave him 19.9cm wide and 9.1cm height, could have ask for 20cm wide but still a very nice fit.
Product was very easy to install.
-Clean screen thoroughly (did it with Isopropyl Alcohol-Lens cleaner)
-Peel 1" of the thin film from backing (Do not touch the film adhesive)
-Align the screen protector properly and apply it with a credit card by sliding it across the surface
as you peel the the backing away. If you miss you can always peel it off and apply it again to your taste.

Now the big question...
"...I also have very light scratches that bother me when the sun hit the screen.
Pretty confident it will hide them, at least I hope..."

SO ?
The scratches are still there...

They did fade a little but NO miracle.
This product is a screen protector not a screen rejuvenetor...
But note that they sell it as a screen protector and not the other way around...
So this is exactly what it will serve from now on, no more scratches then the one I already have

Should had bought one when the car was new.
If you don't have any scratch or don't want any more then the ones you already have, this product is for you.
But if you think this product will erase the one you already have, then you're in for a good surprise...

Now it's up to you!
Old 05-11-2005, 09:41 AM
SuPeRmOd

i'm not sure how it could "erase" scratches, but after 1 year, I have none. had one smudge, but cleaned it off w/ Plexus. I only use a microfiber cloth to dust it.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by qlaval
Finally received my screen protector from eBay seller "hollandjean".
RE:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7971324134
-Easy transaction & fast shipping. 10/10

Seller did ask me the size of the screen for a custum fit.
Gave him 19.9cm wide and 9.1cm height, could have ask for 20cm wide but still a very nice fit.
Product was very easy to install.
-Clean screen thoroughly (did it with Isopropyl Alcohol-Lens cleaner)
-Peel 1" of the thin film from backing (Do not touch the film adhesive)
-Align the screen protector properly and apply it with a credit card by sliding it across the surface
as you peel the the backing away. If you miss you can always peel it off and apply it again to your taste.

Now the big question...
"...I also have very light scratches that bother me when the sun hit the screen.
Pretty confident it will hide them, at least I hope..."

SO ?
The scratches are still there...

They did fade a little but NO miracle.
This product is a screen protector not a screen rejuvenetor...
But note that they sell it as a screen protector and not the other way around...
So this is exactly what it will serve from now on, no more scratches then the one I already have

Should had bought one when the car was new.
If you don't have any scratch or don't want any more then the ones you already have, this product is for you.
But if you think this product will erase the one you already have, then you're in for a good surprise...

Now it's up to you!

Sounds good. I will have to pick me up one, clean it real well before I put it on and be done with the scratches. Does it do anything to reduce visibility at all or does it help? Thanks for the input.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:48 PM

Does it do anything to reduce visibility at all or does it help?

Yeah, forgot to tell about that...
It does help a little with the visibility, so a plus on top of the protection effect.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:50 PM

I finally did the same thing today, went to homedepot and bought some plexiglass threw some black trim around it and saved myself a couple of bucks.

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo

CM
Old 05-24-2005, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by carcus
Sounds good. I will have to pick me up one, clean it real well before I put it on and be done with the scratches. Does it do anything to reduce visibility at all or does it help? Thanks for the input.

yup same here
Old 06-19-2005, 07:22 AM

Haven't had this problem.