6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=69

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 01:37 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=69

OMG im so pissed today. everything went wrong and couldnt been worse. today i drive by a ALL IN ONE service place where there are car wash and oil change. i get my oil change and the dumb ******* puts in 5 quarts after i told him to put 4 and half. so ther was 40 min delay on draining some oil out..than he said he would give me free car wash because i was complaining. So i smiled again and took his offer. car was clean after wash but when they were vacumning the car they had my side brakes up and i didnt notice until i smelled burning after couple blocks..why the hell would you put the brakes up for a automatic car. OMFG..im so pissed..i hope nothing really got ****ed up
Old 05-10-2005, 01:40 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

nah you should be ok............ just another bad day man, you are ok...
Old 05-10-2005, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by 05MAXIJJ
OMG im so pissed today. everything went wrong and couldnt been worse. today i drive by a ALL IN ONE service place where there are car wash and oil change. i get my oil change and the dumb ******* puts in 5 quarts after i told him to put 4 and half. so ther was 40 min delay on draining some oil out..than he said he would give me free car wash because i was complaining. So i smiled again and took his offer. car was clean after wash but when they were vacumning the car they had my side brakes up and i didnt notice until i smelled burning after couple blocks..why the hell would you put the brakes up for a automatic car. OMFG..im so pissed..i hope nothing really got ****ed up
By side brakes, do you mean the E brake? How did you not notice the thing was on when you put it in drive.....should have felt some pull. You should be OK though. I use my E brake on the automatic with steep hills. I imagine most of these quick places use the E brake alot as I know the shop out here that messed up my tint, they detail and wash...a few people thought the car was in gear, no E brake and they smashed into another car. Might be a policy there. Try another shop next time. I went to Walmart and had Mobil 1 put in pretty cheap. No problems....went shopping for crap at the same time, have to love Super Wally World.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

For that reason, I never go to those quick lube or even any carwashes. Real easy to do an oil change yourself and you end up saving money.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by owais
For that reason, I never go to those quick lube or even any carwashes. Real easy to do an oil change yourself and you end up saving money.
You are right....but not everyone has ramps to change the oil. Hell, for the price of a change at Walmart....with Mobil 1, if you watch them like a hawk and have no time to change it like me, than not a big deal. Now, no one washes the car but me, that is one thing I ENJOY. Actually, takes more effort than an oil change. Hell, I can get my oil change at Nissan dealer for $9.99....but I trust a quick lube over that dealer.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:10 PM

Car wash? Lube place? NEVER go near these places!

An oil change is very easy on the 6th Gen. So I do it myself! Not to mention I would never let any person at a car wash touch my car! We have invested a nice sum of money in our car. We have to go to lengths to protect it! Here is what I say to Car wash and quick lubes.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:26 PM

yeah yeah. i already have the damn swirl marks in my onyx max. I have to get it buffed and polished already. Should stick to hand washing especiallyon wit onyx.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:13 PM

Definately!

You have to hand wash! Black especially. I do the Mothers 3 Step system. Beginning with a good hand wash. If you want your Max to shine and not have swirls all over it you have to invest the time!
Old 05-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Dude, pressure wash is the way to go, no brushes or hands against the paint, then hand dry with a nice shammy or my favorite, A Super Absorber drying rag, those drying rags are the best things invented since synthetic oil. As for the E-brake thing, sucks, however you were the driver , but I wouldn't loose any sleep over it…
Old 05-10-2005, 09:44 PM

I have a black max with the same problem...how the hell do I get these swirl marks off? Theyre all over the place...hood, doors, ugh. It looks terrible in the sun. Any ideas?
Old 05-10-2005, 10:50 PM

Swirls are those nasty circular lines that show up in bright sunlight and go a long way towards preventing your car from looking "right". They are best thought of as microscopic scratches and are usually the result of poor detailing practices. There is a reason why "avoiding scratches" is rule #1!

There are a number of swirl removal products available. Some are basically polishes that work by dulling the edges of the scratches; this might not remove the scratches entirely but it can help out the situation considerably. Others work as fillers, placing material in the scratch so that they effectively disappear. Wax and glazes perform a similar function. If you are not satisfied with the results of your swirl remover treatment, consult a detailing professional

some recommended products..
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...&keyword=52154
^^-Meguiar's Swirl Remover

Turtle Wax Scratch & Swirl Remover , etc. etc.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:21 AM

nyauto you may have saved me some money on this one. Thanks. and Chernmax, i will use the shaolin pressure wash technique from now on. obviously your kung-fu is better than mine
Old 05-11-2005, 07:56 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

Your transmission is not a kickstand, you should ALWAYS use your parking brake.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Stardust
Your transmission is not a kickstand, you should ALWAYS use your parking brake.
besides... I think its normal for people to use the parking brake... even on automatics...

Anyways... doesn't really hurt if ya didn't drive it that far or too fast... so ya should be fine... and yeah, like everyone else said... best way is to wash and change the oil yourself to prevent issues like that....
Old 05-11-2005, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by 04blackmax
yeah yeah. i already have the damn swirl marks in my onyx max. I have to get it buffed and polished already. Should stick to hand washing especiallyon wit onyx.

before you go get it buffed and polished, try this stuff(the one on the far right).

it seriously took off all kinds of stuff off my paint. i had some bad scracthes and swirl marks and they were gone after the clay bar.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Dude, pressure wash is the way to go, no brushes or hands against the paint, then hand dry with a nice shammy or my favorite, A Super Absorber drying rag, those drying rags are the best things invented since synthetic oil. As for the E-brake thing, sucks, however you were the driver , but I wouldn't loose any sleep over it…
whoa pressure wash is not the way to go btw. use a microfiber cloth(like the one above because they dont scratch your car) to get off all the dirt and grime. otherwise youre not getting it all off and youre just letting the sun cake it on. but whatever you think works. wait for 6 years on down the road and your paint looks like crap.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
whoa pressure wash is not the way to go btw. use a microfiber cloth(like the one above because they dont scratch your car) to get off all the dirt and grime. otherwise youre not getting it all off and youre just letting the sun cake it on. but whatever you think works. wait for 6 years on down the road and your paint looks like crap.
I never use pressure washers because.....not good for the seals, can mess with paint sometimes. Last thing I want is a high pressure wash on my skyroof and leaks starting. I just love the old HAND WASH....and HAND WAX....Maguires Gold Class. Nothing like getting out and washing the car. I love my absorber to dry the car....had one for years. They are AWSOME. Still polish my rims with chrome paste also. Alot of work....but worth it. I call it all quality time and a stress reducer. I take the old shop vac out also for the interior, finish of the windows with a nice Rain X glaze.....at least I have some time alone with the car on my days off. Only time I used a pressure wash was when I had a hurricane evacuation, went through Texas, had tons of bugs all over the flat front bumper.....blasted them off. Be careful about using them on the headlights, weather stripping or skyroof.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by owais
have you recently seen the news about the person who were doing oil change at home with a single jack somehow the jack came loose and he die instantly.sinnce than im kinda scare to even try my first time..so everyone should be safe if you using just a single jack.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by 05MAXIJJ
have you recently seen the news about the person who were doing oil change at home with a single jack somehow the jack came loose and he die instantly.sinnce than im kinda scare to even try my first time..so everyone should be safe if you using just a single jack.
Well, most garage jacks come with warnings that tell ya to use jack stands to support the car while you're working on it, not the jack itself. If the guy was using an emergency jack, then I guess he was just asking for it. Garage jacks and jack stands are safe if ya use em sensibly.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:12 AM

Always use a jackstand! That is common sense. Don't forget to chock the rear wheels for added safety. I do not care for pressure washing either. A good hand wash is the best IMO.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:31 AM

i know i know, i have a 4th gen, but this is my input. NOONE who loves their car should take it to an automated car wash. You'll get scratches automatically since they do not wash off enough dirt or sand off in order for you car not to be scratched. And mostly, do you see how dirty those cars are when they get into the car wash? That dirt goes onto your car while its being washed as well. It gets mighty cold in the winter that i know. Pipes freeze and you should not be using your hose, go to a self car wash and bring those gloves your mom uses for dishwashing. -= ) Luckily i have a really REALLY cheap hand car wash by my school in newark. $6 BUCKS n they even vacumn for you!! as for the jack thing, just they the other orgers said, be sensible. If you really HAVE to use a single jack and are really scared, make sure that the pavement is flat, put bricks or some kind of wedge so that the car doesn't move back n forth. Make sure that the e-brake is up all the way. and put blocks underneath the wheel that is lifted up so that if the jack indeed will fall, it will only fall onto the bricks still having enough leverage not to hit smash your head like dropping a watermelon.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:46 PM

squash, where is he car wash in newark? i may check them out.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Teflon Coating

Do you guys get offered like Teflon coating paint protection when your at the dealer ( Not that you buy it from the dealer , cause you can go down the road and pay half the dealer price) ?

I have done it one every new car for the last 10 years and it is magic , like you have to get reapplied once every two years and never have to wax your car.

It's seem to work pretty well and will keep everything off except Bat ****e and brake fluid..( had a company car of mine, repainted 2 time complete in one year on account of Bat ****e .. eats thru the clear in like 20 minutes and down to the metal in a couple of hours... Fruit Bats we call em , plus a lot of other names if they bombard ya car ... they have a drop pattern like a B52 Bumper , bonnet , Roof , Boot ... Rear Bumper...
Old 05-24-2005, 08:23 AM

Yeah - I forgot to release the e-brake a few times, after parking on a sloping hill (which I rarely do -hence the f***-up) and I was surprised that I could drive with it engaged at all...
Old 05-24-2005, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
Ok dudes, correction, didn't mean pressure wash, I meant car washes that are brushless for removing the surface dirt. Then do the hand thing... Six years down the road, $$hit, I have owned 12 cars in the last 24 years, the longest car was a Nissan Bluebird SSS-G that I owned for 5 years while living in Japan, all others had a life span of 2-4 years. Every car sold looked great except the 2 black ones...

Keep it real, keep it clean, later all...
Old 05-25-2005, 08:44 PM

wash my max every week wiht my own hand
i just dont trust other ppl who washes my car
anyhow, if u wash it u know its the best
Old 05-26-2005, 07:17 AM
Maxima Pilot

Used correctly, pressure washes are much, MUCH better and safer for a car's finish compared to hand washing. I know, I have a black Max and hand washed it for the first two years of it's life and was always fighting swirl marks. Sure, they were very light swirl marks, but I had them -no more since I started pressure washing.

The problem and the misconception that pressure washes ara bad for finishes is because most people dont know how to pressure wash correctly. The right way to pressure wash is to first use what most car washes call pre-soak, which is nothing more than dirt 'lifters' called emulsifyiers that literally 'lift' and loosen most of the dirt from the paint surface. Of course, the more waxed the car is, the easier the grime will lift off the surface.

Once liberally pre-soaked, you can then use the pressure soap wand as much as a foot off the car's surface and it will still have enough effective pressure to completely clean the car.

BTW, that's exactly the way 'touchless' car washes do, the first spray you get in a touchless car wash are these emulsifyers...
Old 05-26-2005, 07:56 AM

The problem I have with those so-called pressure washers is that I have yet to see one that uses warm water. They all use cold water where I live.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
The problem I have with those so-called pressure washers is that I have yet to see one that uses warm water. They all use cold water where I live.
Dude, you live in Canada, isn't everything up there cold???