6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

To pinstripe or not pinstripe, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 08:53 AM

To pinstripe or not pinstripe, that is the question

Just wondering what the forums thoughts are on putting pinstripes on the 6th gen Max.

I just bought two 2005 SE's, one Coral Sand and one Liquid Silver. As part of a freebie package from the dealer, I can have a handpainted pinstripe on each car, and it's a two tone split stripe where you get to pick the colors. I'm not sure I want the pinstripe. I have reservations as to whether or not it ruins the clean lines of the car or not. Have seen a couple of "tape stripes" on the car, but I'm still not sure about pinstripes. Do you guys have any thoughts on this? I would appreciate some help so I don't get "pinstrippers remorse".
Old 05-12-2005, 09:02 AM

I SAY ABSOLUTELY NOT, but hey it's your car.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

No
Old 05-12-2005, 09:08 AM

I HAD a pinstripe on mine and once I removed it, the car looks much better. The crazy thing is, I never noticed that it was on there until I posted pics on this site. LOL. I say don't stripe it but it's your ride.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:26 AM

No, No, No........
Old 05-12-2005, 09:45 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I was at the dealer the other day and they had a brand new 2005 Blue Max with silver pinstriping, looked like S%&T. Plus when you wax, pinstriping has a tendancy to get wax build-up on the edges. Let the Toyota Camry owners keep the pinstripe look, Max'es look better without... Still your call...
Old 05-12-2005, 09:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've never been a fan of pin stripes. I definately would not recommend it on such a classy sports car as the Max.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:02 AM

don't do it
Old 05-12-2005, 10:12 AM

Wow you bought 2 Maximas! I say put a pinstripe on one and none on the other. My opinion: I hate pinstripes.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:25 AM

Mine had the pinstrip on it when I bought it. I have the winterfrost w/tan leather interior and the pinstrip is gold, very thin, nothing fancy. I probably wouldn't have put this on but since it's there I'm leaving it. It's very subtle. Put it on one and not the other.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:29 AM

Well, I can see so far that it's almost unanimous against pinstriping the Max. I'm inclined to agree, but just wanted some ammunition to show the wife about NOT pintriping her Max. Like I said, this is a handpainted pinstripe, not a tape stripe, so removing it would be difficult. As for the suggestion of striping one and not the other, guess you don't have a wife. God forbid I striped her Max and not mine and she hated the stripe, I'd never live it down. As for now, based on the voting so far, it's no stripe on either car. Boy, sure wish I could see what it would look like striped, but I guess unless I stripe one I'll never know. Better to be safe than sorry I say, especially when it comes to the wife's Max.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:39 AM

Well, I'm a wife and if I was your's I'd take the coral sand and have the stripping in a couple of shades darker. It adds a little femininity to it.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:48 AM

No O O O O O O O O O O O O O!!
Old 05-12-2005, 10:52 AM

ttbeam,

Thanks for the female point of view. I'll show my wife your post and let her do what she wants to do with her car. Usually the stripe is painted two colors, one to accent the exterior color and one to match the the interior color. What colors do you have in mind for a Coral Sand SE with a Cafe Latte leather interior? I'm sure my wife would like a female point of view on a color scheme and not my macho idea of pinstripe colors. Anybody else got a color opinion should my wife decide to pinstripe her Max?????
Old 05-12-2005, 11:08 AM

Take the liquid silver one, put a thick, chrome-colored stripe all around, and then paint it onyx black over the stripe. That would gove you onyx roof, hood and trunk. I saw the people of MTV's Pimp My Ride do a 4Runner with tha combination and looks kinda nice...

Of course, drop the lime green color....

Old 05-12-2005, 11:35 AM

I think pinstripping takes away from the car, I dunno.....just my opinion on it. I wouldn't, but if you like it, go for it.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:43 AM
Dan
No Longer Owns a Maxima

I hate pinstripes....I say no way.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:36 PM

Pinstripes just give me that Ford Taurus feeling. No way not on this car.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:47 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

a big hell no to pinstripe......
Old 05-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Maxima Fanatic

NO pinstripe
Old 05-12-2005, 01:33 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

If she is dead set on a color, try transparent!!! Should be a perfect match for the car...
Old 05-12-2005, 01:34 PM

might as well put this stripe on the car, thats what pin stripe looks like to me
Old 05-12-2005, 01:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

no stripes to both cars...
Old 05-12-2005, 05:02 PM

I wouldn't do it. Looks way better without it.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:50 PM

i like the idea of striping the silver car chrome, then painting the tip onyx black, itll give it a real aggresive look, especially if the silver one is yours and the coral sand is your wife's, youll be able to distinguish the alpha male
Old 05-12-2005, 06:53 PM
Banned

one word:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Its unanimous!!!
Old 05-12-2005, 08:19 PM

**** no o o o o o o o o o o o o !!!
Old 05-12-2005, 08:56 PM
SuPeRmOd

yes

j/k NO
pinstripes belong on Orange County Choppers... Not a 6th Gen Max
Old 05-12-2005, 09:11 PM

I am neither 'fer' nor 'agin' pin stripes. I feel the style of the vehicle has a lot to do with whether pinstripes enhance or detract from the look.

With either a relatively bland or an ultra sporty (not sports) vehicle, sometimes pinstripes can add a little pizzaz, especially if applied correctly.

But with the already catchy and impressive styling of the 6th gen Maxima, I feel the car looks better without the stripes. But that is strictly in the eye of this 'beholder'.

The advantage of having the stripes painted on is that they are permanent, and don't have the edges that catch wax when polishing.

The disadvantage of having the stripes painted on is (I realize I also just said this as an advantage) they ARE permanent.

If I were forced to put stripes on my 6th gen, I would probably opt for colors very near the exterior color of the car itself. That way, viewed from more than a few feet away, they are practically invisible, but viewed from close up, they sort of fill in the vast stretches of metal that sometimes look sort of 'bare'.

I would also consider other colors that might be on the car. In my case, I have a Carolina (light) blue UNC (Univ of North Carolina) tag on the front, as well as Carolina blue UNC lifetime alumni decals in each rear side window, and a Carolina blue bumper sticker proclaiming last month's NCAA national championship in basketball on the rear bumper. For me, a thin light blue pinstripe on my silver SL would accent the light blue already elsewhere on the car.

Do no forget that I prefaced my 'pro stripe' diatribe with 'if I were forced'.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:18 PM
SuPeRmOd

light, I knew there was something "cool" about you... I've always been a Tar Heel fan. Actually wore white Carolina/Jordan game shorts and C-blue Nikes today. I couldn't afford attending, but always a strong fan.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:58 PM

MismoMax80 - glad your nice remarks were posted before the flood of 'you did WHAT to a Maxima? For SHAME!' posts that are already taking form in the minds of some posters here.

I absolutely LOVED the color used in the lettering of your post!

I became a Heel fan in spring of 1946 (the Heels played Oklahoma A&M - now known as Okla St) for the NCAA title that year. My loyalty did not reach the 'obsessive' level until the 1957 undefeated season in which both the semifinal and championship Carolina wins went triple overtime. I was a senior at UNC that year.

As info, the nation's best high school point guard (Tywon Lawson) in the class of 2006 committed to the Heels today.

The only way to tie this to Maximas is to mention that I have always had Carolina stuff on every Maxima I have ever owned. Also, my 2000 SE is Carolina Blue, although Nissan calls it 'pearl blue'.

I have had three hospital visits recently (including sonograms and biopsies two weeks ago, colonoscopy this afternoon, etc), and am working hard at selling a ten acre lot at the intersection of I-10 and US 90 in Mobile. As a result, I am behind on my committment to do a sticky on Maxima color combos/options, but have not forgotten.

Thanks for the Heel plug!

edit - You mentioned the expense of attending UNC. Like you, I would never have been able to afford it, but was very fortunate in obtaining an academic scholarship that covered my expenses.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:40 PM

Light,

I tend to agree, but the wife still thinks she wants "the stripe" on hers. Maybe I'll paint is Terrapin red since I'm a U of M grad class of 71. Used to hate those trips down tobacco road to games in the old days, but damn those girls looked good in ther Carolina Blue Girddles. Opps, dating myself a bit, bet they look better in Carolina Blue Thongs now, but there's so little there it's hard to tell a color now days. Oh well, by the way, do they still paint their fanny's blue on game days????????
Old 05-13-2005, 01:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

There was a black pinstripe on my silver Max when i bought it. I left it on for a while, but one Satruday morning i decided it was coming off. After 15 minutes with a blowdryer and a bit of cleaner and wax i was happy to notice that they lines of the car were more pronouced and much cleaner without it. I really liked the curves on the front fender without it. My wife thought it looked better as well.

But then again my wife is a person who refuses to put a wheel cover on the spare wheel of her Jeep Liberty which is hanging off the back of the car ? She likes the clean look i guess ?

Bob
Old 05-13-2005, 06:30 AM

In my opinion pin stripes on the new Maxima's look like crap. They take away from the sleek looks of the car. When I bought my magestic blue Maxima last month it had pin stripes on it and I made the dealer take them off. Looks much better without. I also had the dealer take off their advertising decals. There is no way in hell I am going to pay nearly $30,000 for a car and advertise on it for free. Even if I bought a Hyundai Accent I would still take the decals off. I even told the dealer to keep their license plate frame and key-chains.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:51 AM

Thanks for all the feedback guys, but keep those cards and letters coming as I still need as much info as possible to keep the wife from pinstriping her Max. Since this is a painted stripe I don't want her to make a mistake that is almost impossible to correct. As for me, there will be NO PINSTRIPE on my Liquid Silver baby as I agree that the stripe ruins the lines. As for dealer decals, I never let them put them on my cars. If they do they have them removed prior to me signing the paperwork, just in case they screw up the paint. I remember years ago telling a dealer that I was not signing the paperwork for "his car". He looked at me with a puzzled look, so I took him outside and showed him the decal that had the dealership name emblazened across the trunk of "my car". Needless to say he got the hint and had that ugly decal removed immediately. As for license plate frames, as long as they are not outrageous I can live with them until I get my own frames.

Joey
Old 05-13-2005, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill

I would also consider other colors that might be on the car. In my case, I have a Carolina (light) blue UNC (Univ of North Carolina) tag on the front, as well as Carolina blue UNC lifetime alumni decals in each rear side window, and a Carolina blue bumper sticker proclaiming last month's NCAA national championship in basketball on the rear bumper. For me, a thin light blue pinstripe on my silver SL would accent the light blue already elsewhere on the car.
I have a Majestic Blue Max with an Auburn University tag as you may know our colors are Orange and Blue. The question is should I go with an Orange Pinstripe? Just Kidding however I am such an Auburn Freak most of my friends would not be surprised if I did. The tag does look great on the car though! War-Eagle!
Old 05-13-2005, 01:56 PM

Not the body for pinstriping. I think it makes it look cheesy.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by PaL379
might as well put this stripe on the car, thats what pin stripe looks like to me
What kind of a ********** would do that to their Max...or any car for that matter?
Old 05-13-2005, 02:52 PM

I saw a Red Opulence Maxima once (same color as mine) with a pin stripe and it looked terrible. Something about it just breaks up the clean lines of the car (although I'm not much of a pin stripe kind of guy anyway).

But I guess depending on the color it could be better, and to each his own so go for it if you want - it's just not my thing.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by -AoW-JP
Not the body for pinstriping. I think it makes it look cheesy.
I was never into pinstripes either, had a few cars that came from the factory with them, even my BMW. Removed them with my fingernail and waxed them. Some people like them, some don't...personal taste. The stock ones tend to peel off sometimes at the tips and end up looking bad over the years.

Quick Reply: To pinstripe or not pinstripe, that is the question