6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: Question: Has anyone been denied warrenty work because of a mod on their 6th Gen Max?
Yes
25.00%
No
75.00%
No, but I had problems with the dealer
0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Warranty work with aftermarket parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 04:42 PM
Roshan

Warranty work with aftermarket parts

All of us have had several mods to our cars (i.e. intake, exhaust, ect.).
My question is, will any of this void out our warranty? Because i was speaking to a guy that works at a honda dealer, and he was stating that any aftermarket parts installed will void honda warranty. well i have a rust issuse under my hood and want to take it to the dealer but i dont know if i would have to remove the intake or not (injen). please give me feedback. thanks

Old 05-16-2005, 05:01 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I think that is a crock of poo-poo. The dealer must prove the the rust came from something you did or installed, to blanketly say if you have an aftermarket part voids your warrenty just reinforces my belief too never buy a piece of Sh%t Honda...
Old 05-16-2005, 05:19 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

I hope they don give me **** when I start modding cause i have that extended warranty and don wanna loose it...
Old 05-16-2005, 05:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well let me share what happened to me:
I was contimplating the idea of installing an intake and i mentioned this to my service manager during a service visit. He said "Well it could possibly void your warranty." I said, "Then I guess i wouldnt have to bring the car into the dealer anymore for any oil changes or maintenance" He paused, smiled and said "I dont think an intake would cause a problem." The point is, they want to make money, yet they will tell you what is more convenient for them at the time. I still decided not to go with the install because who knows how long that service manager will be there. Just food for thought.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:58 PM
SuPeRmOd

the LAW states the mod must be proven to cause the malfunction to the particular part. If found, only that part's warranty is void. Having an intake cannot void your rust, HID, struts, shocks, etc. b/c it has nothing to do with these areas.

But, it doesn't matter who made the mod or installed it. If it causes a problem warranty is void. They also cannot dictate what manufacturers are acceptable for replacements.

But like I said before, don't be surprused if the dealer documents seeing an intake. Later you have problems and return it to stock before showing them... it will be hard for you to prove the intake didn't cause the failure. If they claim BS, call their bluff. If they have reason make them prove it or threaten with a lawyer.

It reminds me of an arguement a bit back about our "black box". BMW was telling owners their tranny blew from excessive RPM. Many got screwed until one guy stood up and said "How the Hell could I over-rev if my manumatic has a rev limiter and I can't get passed redline????" several owners received a free tranny or large refund.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:57 PM
Banned

Well, regardless of what the law says...some people would rather live without the mods than have to resort to legal action to get their way, even if you get our way int he end, if you gotta go through that much of a hassle it might not be worth the benifit of some mods.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:41 PM

I had a problem once on my PT Cruiser when the transmission broke. The mechanic, who is a friend of mine, told me to take the intake and racing exhaust pipes off, because the manager would try to void the tranny warranty....
Now with my Max I asked about the warranty issue with my dealer because I was thinking about buying the Stillen big brake kit, and they told me to wait 'till the 3/35 warranty on the brake system expired before doing any mods...
Old 05-17-2005, 08:36 PM
Roshan

3/35? i thought it was 3/36...

Old 05-17-2005, 08:44 PM

I think everyone is sweating a minor problem, let's ask a new question, who was denied warrenty work on a 6th gen Nissan Max because of a mod??? Like myself, I prepare for the worst but hope for the best, I think the bulk of all posts will be negative, No one, nath'a, etc...
Old 05-17-2005, 08:52 PM

Warranty Work

Lots said, nothing concluded, let's try this. Have any of you been denied warrenty work on a 6th gen Nissan Max because of a mod???
Old 05-17-2005, 09:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Wakkus_Maximus
I had a problem once on my PT Cruiser when the transmission broke. The mechanic, who is a friend of mine, told me to take the intake and racing exhaust pipes off, because the manager would try to void the tranny warranty....
Now with my Max I asked about the warranty issue with my dealer because I was thinking about buying the Stillen big brake kit, and they told me to wait 'till the 3/35 warranty on the brake system expired before doing any mods...
Uhmm... where is this Stillen Big Brake kit?
Old 05-18-2005, 06:00 AM

When I was purchasing my Max and sitting with the finance guy why he unsuccessfully tried to rip me off with unneeded crap. He was trying to convince me to buy their service plan by stating that unless your vehicle is serviced (oil changes, preventative maint.) by Nissan that the warranty would be void. Can you say illegal...

Additionally, my Nissan dealer sells and installs a lot of aftermarket parts, now if Nissan sells it and installs it does that void the warranty or is it only not voided if you upgrade with overpriced Nismo parts?
Old 05-18-2005, 06:10 AM

If someone votes Yes, can you please educate us on what the mod was???
Old 05-18-2005, 06:20 AM
Roshan

im am goin to Capitol Nissan this morning to schedule an appointment to get a few problems fixed: Glove box not allined, hissing/ratteling noise at random RPMs, skyview leak(replaced once), driver side door doesnt close properly, gauge pod covers, all the clip screw thingys popped off of the iner fender the grill and bumper, i have plent of work to be done by them .Wish me luck.

Old 05-18-2005, 09:34 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by ckaught78
Additionally, my Nissan dealer sells and installs a lot of aftermarket parts, now if Nissan sells it and installs it does that void the warranty or is it only not voided if you upgrade with overpriced Nismo parts?
Read post #5... People must realize DEALERS are NOT Nisssan.
They are independent businesses selling and servicing Nissans. Nissan warrants oem parts and Dealer warranted work on those parts.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

its funny i read this caus i was at staten island nissan about a ahour ago asking these questions...they were no help caus the guy looked at me funny n asked why i would change the exaust..he did tell me that no one realy cares in the back and he's never had a problem...i did have a friend at mazda who said a kid came in with a mazda 6 intake,exaust,20 inch rims...and the tranny blew with olny 20k..n they said his rims over worked the tranny n they didnt warrenty his car...i never heard a follow up story thou..mb the kid fought it

problem with my tires!!!
i got the SE with the goodyear tires...ive had the max for 2 months n replaced both front tires caus of exxecive bubbles...nissan told me they cant do anything and the tire olny had 400 miles on it...make a long story short nissan dosent cover these tires and i was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the goodyear tires?
thanx
Old 05-18-2005, 08:27 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

Originally Posted by ohfiveSE
nissan told me they cant do anything and the tire olny had 400 miles on it...
Did you check with Goodyear?

Back to the topic, I would like to see the answer to this question too. I understand what the rules are regarding mods are and that experiences can vary from dealer to dealer.

If there were a good variety of competitively priced Nismo parts for the Max this wouldn't even be as much of an issue.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:49 PM

People, come on, 181 views, 16 post and only 4 votes total... Vote people...