6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Cattman Rear Anti-Sway bars are in!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 10:29 PM
SuPeRmOd

in design production they consider the majority of the market interested in the car and their target consumer. by stiffinening up the rear you reduce body roll which is a + and why we have one. The stiffer you go the more oversteer you create which is more familiar with RWD. this would come unexpected to the common driver and may not know how to handle it.

We of the org are not among the majority aka common drivers out there. I am the youngest owner by decades of any 6th gen owner i'ver seen. Not to say older means slower by any means, but maybe less likely to fly around corners?

so a note to those also eagerly awaiting this bar, if you push it, prepare for the possible oversteer (tailend sliding outward away form the turn). Right now Max understeers (front end not wanting to turn) and all i can do is let go of the gas.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Not to say older means slower by any means, but maybe less likely to fly around corners?
... whithout knowing what they are doing
Old 04-27-2005, 11:01 PM
Banned

You think this bar will change the dynamics of the car so much that it will go from understeering....to oversteering? I mean dont you think it will lessen the understeer...I dont see this mod as causing this car to begin to fishtail at the limit, seems too simple.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:08 PM

Well, it will induce less understeer, with no other changes. If you tweek the spring rates, oversteer can be achieved
Old 04-27-2005, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
. . . so a note to those also eagerly awaiting this bar, if you push it, prepare for the possible oversteer (tailend sliding outward away form the turn). Right now Max understeers (front end not wanting to turn) and all i can do is let go of the gas.
I know what oversteer is, and I think you did not inform us as well as you could. Describing oversteer making a left turn: the front of the car will go harder to the left (oversteering versus where you want to go) because the back end of the car has slid to the right or outward.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:28 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

As DeusX indicated, the RSB will reduce understeer, but I would absolutely not expect it to cause this FWD car to naturally oversteer.

BCC
Old 04-28-2005, 08:51 AM

For example, the other day on a right handed freeway entrance ramp that I drive on with some regularity, I noticed that I can take it at much higher speed until the left front tire starts howling, an indicator of understeer about to occur. Stiffer rear springs will also induce less understeer to the point of possible oversteeer. (Note to all you potential race drivers who want some excitement: Try lifting the throttle in the middle of a turn and see what happens. Just kidding!!! FWD cars exhibit lift throttle oversteer. Do NOT try that at home!)
Old 04-28-2005, 09:52 AM

Just pre-ordered. Can't wait. Well, guess I'll have to anyway. Sounds like mid May is when they'll start to receive them.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:57 AM
SuPeRmOd

well guys I was just going off the experiences of 03 owners and a few 04s with stillen bars. they have experienced oversteer. So i consider it a possibility and wanted some to be aware of it. Maybe these instances were very rare or being lowered contributed, but it has indeed happened.

I also do not expect it to occur under normal driving, but for aggressive cornering, just be prepared.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:09 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

well guys I was just going off the experiences of 03 owners and a few 04s with stillen bars. they have experienced oversteer. So i consider it a possibility and wanted some to be aware of it. Maybe these instances were very rare or being lowered contributed, but it has indeed happened.

I also do not expect it to occur under normal driving, but for aggressive cornering, just be prepared.
Still alittle unclear on over/under steering.

Are you guys saying that with this stiffer bar, taking a turn too quickly will cause the car to "fishtail"?

-MO-
Old 04-28-2005, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by MObruin
Still alittle unclear on over/under steering. Are you guys saying that with this stiffer bar, taking a turn too quickly will cause the car to "fishtail"?
I believe they are saying the following:

- The stiffer bar will allow you to safely take a curve at a higher speed than you can with the OE bar.

- The stiffer bar will reduce the tendency of a FWD car to exhibit under-steer in a curve. [Understeer in a left curve: the front end breaks loose and the front of the vehicle slides to the right, reducing the turn to the left that you planned to make -- thus understeering the planned curve.] But it is not certain that the stiffer bar will eliminate this tendency.

- The stiffer bar has the potential to change the handling of your FWD Maxima from a tendency to Understeer in a curve to a tendency to Oversteer in a curve. This change in handling is possible but not definite. [Oversteer in a left curve: the rear end will break loose and the front of the car will go harder to the left (oversteering versus where you want to go) because the back end of the car has slid to the right or outward.]

All of these tendencies depend on a number of factors including: road conditions, your speed, the sharpness of the turn you are making, the tires on your vehicle (if you have better tread on the front tires than the back tires for example), and other factors that are less important.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:45 PM

Just pre-ordered mine, thanks Brian.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:23 PM

Yo erasat, how much did they charge you for shipping it to Puerto Rico??? I'm not pre-ordering yet, will wait 'till May so I can have control of how much I spend On Maxximus...
Old 04-28-2005, 03:25 PM

Brian quoted $48 for UPS shipping, you know how this stuff works for us here, so overall price was good enough, $183.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:35 PM

That ain't that bad you know... i payed $75 for the shipping of an infinity basslink a little ago...
Old 04-28-2005, 05:24 PM

Pre-ordered mine yesterday! i can't wait!
Old 04-28-2005, 06:24 PM

Just pre-ordered mine. $18.50 to ship to Cincinnati. Thanks for the 10% discount Cattman. Can't wait. I won't install mine. You think someone like a CarX shop could/would do the intall?
Old 05-12-2005, 05:38 AM

keeping this thread alive....can't wait for this to come in. TTT
Old 05-17-2005, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cattman
Good question. No reason to wait, and I'll encourage that by offering a 10% discount for early orders (discounted price is $135). Part # is CRSB-G6.

Give us a call to order at 520.730.9309 (Cattman office, 9-6 Pacific Time, M-F) or 800.759.9920 (warehouse and ordering service, 8-5 Pacific Time, M-F). CCs won't be charged until the bars are ready. PayPal is fine too, email or PM me for the payment address.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
jus pm'd u for paypal address
Old 05-17-2005, 05:50 PM

Any word on when this will be available?
Old 05-17-2005, 06:56 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by idnumber1
post #54... oooh! that's tomorrow!!! I hope it's on schedule so I can get it before vacation soon.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:13 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by idnumber1
Couldn't have any better news - the first batch of Progress 04+ RSBs shipped today and I should have them by Thursday. They arrive all boxed up and ready to go, so we'll get the orders out quickly.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-17-2005, 08:20 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Cattman-Progress gen6 RSB Pre-Sale ends Friday

Since the new Cattman-Progress RSBs for the 04+ Maxima are due to arrive Thursday, that marks the end of the "10% off pre-sale" but we'll take pre-sale orders till the end of the day on Friday.

Go back to the beginning of the thread if you need ordering instructions.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-17-2005, 08:23 PM

jus paypal the money
Old 05-18-2005, 07:53 AM

Couldn't have any better news - the first batch of Progress 04+ RSBs shipped today and I should have them by Thursday. They arrive all boxed up and ready to go, so we'll get the orders out quickly.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
woohoo! that's what I'm talking about!
Old 05-19-2005, 09:33 AM

Cattman Rear Anti-Sway bars are in!

I pre-ordered my rear sway bar from Cattman last week (New for 6th gen. Maxima). I called this morning to get an update and she told me they had just arrived. I initially had it shipped UPS Ground, but I was too excited and asked her to ship it UPS RED. Hopefully by this time tomorrow I'll have it installed. I'll update you guys with pictures and opinions on the ride.

May the Force be with you...
(Sorry I saw Star Wars Ep. III last night...I'm a little tired)
Old 05-19-2005, 10:31 AM

awesome... I'm gonna get one too before the June 3rd 10% discount deadline!

question for those of you with the front strut bar... i just installed mine last night, and driving it today, each time I start up the car the hood rattles on the driver side right where the bar is bolted down, as if when the engine starts it rattles the bar up against the underside of the hood. have any of you experienced this, and what would you suggest i do to fix it? everything sounds perfect when I'm actually driving, its just when i start the car and its very noticeable. You can't really bend the bar down, so I'm wondering if there's a trick to this I'm missing!
Old 05-19-2005, 05:25 PM

I noticed mine rattle when I would put it in reverse (6 speed manual). But it seems to have gone away.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:22 PM

There's no need for any special tools. Though I consider a torque wrench to be "basic equipment", you could probably get by without one if you're just sensible about not tightening them too much, but I've asked Progress to look up and include the Nissan torque specs from the FSM.

You can certainly do this on a relatively level driveway or garage. The rear of the car needs to be put on jackstands, and those go under the chassis not the axle - when installing this type of RSB, the back suspension should be at full droop. You have to remove one tire to snake the stock one out and the new one in.

Be safe, don't use stuff like concrete blocks (they shatter EASILY) or any kind of hydraulic jack to hold the car up while working unless you want to die early, you're going to have to get under the car to unbolt the frame brackets/bushings. Only use a sturdy pair of jackstands, or just run it up a lift (but it has to be the kind that lifts the car by the chassis, not the tires).

Progress actually has completed the instructions and is sending a copy to me via email so I can pass that along to anyone who's interested - just shoot me an email and I'll send back with the instructions attached.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Just FYI...I've the rear of my car sitting on Jack Stands (the suspension hanging all the way down). I cannot break the factory tightened nuts (and I lift weights everyday). I'll keep at it, but its definitely a BEEOOTCH!!
Old 05-20-2005, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by pkane3
Just FYI...I've the rear of my car sitting on Jack Stands (the suspension hanging all the way down). I cannot break the factory tightened nuts (and I lift weights everyday). I'll keep at it, but its definitely a BEEOOTCH!!
air tools will probably help you out here. I got my email today and my tracking number. I can't wait for it to come in
Old 05-20-2005, 05:19 PM

We are using air tools. I finally got it off and put the new one in, but it doesn't look right. I kept the stock one in the exact position on the floor to make sure I was installing the new in the same manner. ??????

I sure wish I had a picture of a new one mounted so I could compare it with mine.

Oh well, back to work. I'll take some pictures as soon as I get it right.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:25 PM

My car has a 2 mm smaller bar than the production Cattman bar, but stiffer than the stock one, and the car rolls much less. Look at my autocross videos on my thread and see what Im talking about. This mod really works.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:18 PM

Rsb Gurus, I Need Your Help…

I have been installing my Cattman RSB this evening and I not sure if its in the correct position. I swapped the OEM and the Cattman the same way, but I'm just not sure. Please review the following photos and give me you input...Brian Catts, I hope your out there.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...55_18_full.jpg

And I haven't driven it yet. I dropped it back to the ground, and that's when I didn't get a good feeling. Its back on the Jack Stands.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:45 AM

WOO HOO!!! I am awesome...Installed it upside down! Don't go by the one page instruction guide in the box. Brian Catts noticed it and e-mailed me a much better installation guide. At least they did the exact same thing on their first attempt. Its gonna be a long night.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by pkane3
At least they did the exact same thing on their first attempt.
They only said that to make you feel better! (j/k)

Let us know driving impressions once you have it on !

Bob
Old 05-21-2005, 06:25 AM
SuPeRmOd

hey, I don't get mine until thursday what gives?
Old 05-21-2005, 07:59 AM

Someone mentioned a front strut bar? Can some one point me in the right direction where to get one?
Old 05-21-2005, 08:14 AM

hey, I don't get mine until thursday what gives?
NismoMax - I made them ship mine UPS Red. I'm too impatient.

Also, now that I've got it installed correctly...ITS AWESOME. You will notice an extreme improvement. I couldn't be more pleased.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:05 AM

pk: What was the problem and what did you do to correct the problem?
Old 05-21-2005, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
pk: What was the problem and what did you do to correct the problem?
Originally Posted by pkane3:
WOO HOO!!! I am awesome...Installed it upside down! Don't go by the one page instruction guide in the box. Brian Catts noticed it and e-mailed me a much better installation guide. At least they did the exact same thing on their first attempt. Its gonna be a long night.
Apparently, it was installed upside down.

Quick Reply: Cattman Rear Anti-Sway bars are in!