6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

wiper problems??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 10:16 AM

wiper problems??

just got an 05 se...has anyones 6th gen come with crappy wipers...mine wiggle like crazy...is this normal??? they wipe fine but the drivers blade wiggles like it was loose but it isnt (i checked)..my 00 gle and 97 se both worked solid.even my 71 vw bug never wiggled...WTF? ...any ideas, input?
thanks!

great forum!
Old 06-10-2005, 10:28 AM

The blade itself on my passenger side came halfway off. I've bought the $4 refills from wal-mart that last longer. The wiper arms are ok. One thing I don't like about the 6th gen is the delay, one setting is about 5 or more seconds apart and the next higher setting is about a second between wipes. So I either have water collecting on the windshield or have to listen to it squeal every second.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:49 AM
wsu

incomplete contact

On my Maxima (05 SL), the passenger wiper makes only very weak contact with the windshield about 1/3 of the way on the upstroke from the resting position. I find this annoying because it's leaving part of the windshield difficult through which to see. It won't wipe the water completely off of the windshield, even when the car is not moving.

I don't know if this problem is from bad design in that the wiper blade is unable to apply the requisite pressure at the point at which the windshield has a certain curvature or if the wiper assembly/mechanism is the problem. I don't know if I can bend part of the wiper assembly to get more pressure on the blade as is wipes against the windshield. Suggestions?
Old 06-10-2005, 11:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

the stock wiper blades on most every car are as cheap as the manufacturer can buy. if they don't work well...go figure.

do yourself a favor and buy some good blades and end your problems.

valeo blades are expensive, but the best you can get. my wife had been complaining for 3 years about her wipers on her explorer despite whatever i would buy. i put valeo's on there 3 months ago, and haven't heard a complaint since.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:31 PM

One year of driving on my '04 SL, and the wipers have been perfect. They don't skip over any of the surface, they don't wiggle, and they are perfectly silent.

I wouldn't tolerate anything wrong with my wipers, as a long freeway trip in the rain is little enough fun when they are performing perfectly.

Sometimes the squeaking can be an indication a carwash has sprayed wax on the glass. Sometimes it can be caused by an accumulation of unusual road stuff on the glass.

A wiper should not skip any portion of the glass over which it passes. This could even be considered a 'safety defect', requiring dealer action. If I was not able to find the cause of this, I would have the dealer fix it under warranty.

As to the 'wiggling wipers', this should not be happening on a brand new Maxima, even in the heat and humidity of Florida (where you are). Take the car to the dealer and ask him to show you the same wiggling on another new Maxima. I'll bet he can't, in which case, have him make yours right.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:00 AM
Banned

I have an $80 pair of wipers and the driver side wobbles a bit still...
It does this because of the 26" wiper blade
Old 06-11-2005, 07:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You can get the Valeo Ultimate Wiper Blades for $29 each by following this link:

http://ultimatewiperblade.com/select...de=VOLVOXCDEAL

I've had them on since April and they've been working great since!
Old 06-11-2005, 09:55 AM
SuPeRmOd

stockies still fine for over a year. have a second set ready if necessary. if i did have problem i'd go the valeo route ^^^^

blackmaxx, $80
Old 06-11-2005, 10:04 AM
Banned

Oh my bad, they were $60. Valeo. Punks at the mall steal my $4 dice valvestem covers and leave the wipers, probably because they are pretty stealthy looking. Still, it only takes a second to pop them off....but since they dont fit a bicycle Im probably good. Gawd I hate people.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:59 PM

04BlackMax - Dice valve covers? You can do better than that.

While browsing the clearance rack at WalMart tonight (yes, I'm cheap), I found a few sets of devices called 'tirefly' (a ripoff of the word 'firefly'). They fit between the valve stem and cover, use a button battery, and give off a nice light as the tire rolls merrily along.

I picked up a few sets and held them out where my wife could see them, with a questioning look on my face. I think everyone here can anticipate the gist of her response. But she said her decision was for my own good, as she doesn't want me to be the laughing stock of the county. We spent the money on fireant killer instead.

Thanks to tropical storm Andrea, I got to check my wipers very closely today, and everything was absolutely perfect. Not a sound. Not a shimmy. Not anything missed.

edit - I did notice the thing lowkey22 mentioned. The first wipe interval on the 'interval' setting is one second, while the second is 5 seconds. That may not sound too bad, but it does not work well in the real world.

The one second is actually very little different from the 'non-interval' (fulltime)setting. I can't see myself using it. Had that first interval been TWO seconds, I would have found it useful. Nice catch. lowkey22.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:00 AM
Banned

No sir...you CANT do better than dice valvestem covers. It looked strange having them not there after 2 years. Please, don't compare battery operated flashing neon valvestems to dice.