6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Front Strut Tower Brace

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 09:33 PM

Front Strut Tower Brace

Now that I have the Catman rear anti-sway bar installed and a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S shoes, I'm considering the next handling improvement -- a Front Strut Tower Brace from Stillen ($148.50).

I thought I'd read something about the performance of this brace on this site about a half-year ago, but can't find anything now. I'm curious about the opinions of those who have this brace on the Gen 6 Max. I'm also somewhat concerned about Stillen's comment on their site:

http://www.stillen.com/Sportscars_de...d=48737&page=1

"Installation requires some slight modifications to install these Front Strut Tower Braces correctly."

What kind of modifications were required and did a shop have to make them? I installed the rear anti-sway bar and would like to do the same for the strut braces. It also appears that this brace was designed for the Altima, but also happens to fit the 6 Gen Max. Would like any comments you have on that fact.

By the way, I'm happy with the rear anti-sway bar and the Michelins are a big improvement over the RSAs with 32 K miles on them and starting to show some cracking in the sidewalls of 3 of them. I wanted safe and dependable tires for the heat and long distances I will see driving this summer.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:42 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

I think this is what you are looking for: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....highlight=fstb
Old 06-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Heres another one. people have bought the ebay FSB for a lot cheaper and have had success with it. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=409593
Old 06-12-2005, 09:49 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

O.T.: Pal, I just noticed how your sig pic goes from black and white to color. Nice effect.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just noticed that too. Thats neat, Pal. I think the strut brace is fine and its very easy to install. It gives the engine compartment a sporty look and it probably tightens things up a bit. I say go for it.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:25 PM

Wow, my post certainly got quick replies. Thanks to all who answered. The first thread was the one I remember seeing. The second thread I must've missed.

It appears that there is not much room for a brace to fit in the Max between the two strut towers and that there is enough variability in our cars that some have problems with the bar hitting either the engine or the hood, while others don't have these hitting problems.

This now creates a delimma. The Power Import brace can be had for about $40 (shipped) and the Stillen brace for about $150 plus shipping. Looking at the best pictures I can find of both braces, the Stillen brace appears to be somewhat more substantial -- but is it worth about $125 more than the Import brace? No one is going to do a test of both braces, so I would like to hear from those who have either installed on their 6-gen Max.

Questions for those with either of them installed:

- What brace do you have installed?
- Did you have to make any mods to get it to fit?
- Do you have an problems with it rubbing the engine (now or in the past)?
- Do you have any problems with it hitting the hood (now or in the past)?
- What if anything did you do the stop the rubbing or hitting?
- Do you also have a rear anti-sway bar installed?
- Are you happy with the results of the brace, did it noticably improve the handling of your Max?
- Would you buy your brace again (if you did not have it now)?

(For example, I would buy the Catman anti-sway bar again because it made a noticable handling improvement in the curves -- even before the new Michelins.)

Thanks for the help.