6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

~~Grinding Noise When Accelerating....~~

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NJMAX
I feel grinding through the gas pedel between 0-40 MPH. Any suggestions?
I've got the same problem and It seems to be getting worse. I have an 05 now that vibrates through the gas pedal at about 1500 rpm and feels much worse at about 40mph when the torque convertor clutch engages. I did own an 04 that had the same problem and that's one of the reasons I traded it. When I first bought the 05 it wasn't there. I got the replacement catalyst brackets (as per the Nissan service bulletin) hoping that would cure the problem but it didn't. At one point, the dealer said there was nothing they could do. You are the first person that I know of that has the same complaint. I don't know if it's a unique problem or if people just don't notice it.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:34 PM

I have the same rattle too. I've had numerous visits to the dealer and still have the noise. they replaced my header and heat shield and its really pissin me off. i agree that we should all just gather up and make a letter to Nissan Corp. or somethin. Oh and btw, wut was that picture with the circled bracket?
Old 07-13-2006, 03:31 PM

Does anyone know if they look at the exhaust brackets and heat shield clamps when they replace the rear sub frame that is under recall?
Old 07-13-2006, 03:40 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by Burny
Does anyone know if they look at the exhaust brackets and heat shield clamps when they replace the rear sub frame that is under recall?
I don't think so, the bracket in question is up front under the motor. It's also not very big so it would be easy to bypass. If you have a jack and some stands, get up under it, should take less than 5 minutes to check...
Old 08-03-2006, 11:23 AM

I think i hear that noise too when switching gears.. How do we go about fixing it ? Is it possible to fix ourselves? My warranty is up on my 04
Old 08-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Grinding

After taking my car to the dealer a few times I found that the noise was two heat shield under my car. I had recently bottomed up coming out of my driveway and bent them both. I normall would not hav heard it because of my music, but I did one day. Anyway heat shields are under the car in case you park in grass to keep the grass from catching on fire because of the tempature of your exhaust. I am not really inclined to fixing my stuff so I took it back to the dealer. It cost be about and hour labor. $65.00
Old 08-03-2006, 02:13 PM

I think thats what i'll have to do.. I got my exhaust changed over.. I think from all the beating on the exhaust might of caused the problem.. I'll take it up to the shop sometime next week..

So i just tell them i want the heat shield changed
Old 08-09-2006, 07:52 AM

so i went into nissan service department and there were 4 ppl in front of me..and 2 of the 4 ppl complained about a rattling noise when they accelerated including me so that would be 3.. he said its most likely the heat shield.. after getting my car back.. he told me it was my Injen intake which i think is a bunch of BS and didnt want to fix it casue i had an aftermarket warranty.. nissan should really do something about this.. i bet probly 1 out of every 3 maximas get this problem
Old 08-09-2006, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by djchinky
so i went into nissan service department and there were 4 ppl in front of me..and 2 of the 4 ppl complained about a rattling noise when they accelerated including me so that would be 3.. he said its most likely the heat shield.. after getting my car back.. he told me it was my Injen intake which i think is a bunch of BS and didnt want to fix it casue i had an aftermarket warranty.. nissan should really do something about this.. i bet probly 1 out of every 3 maximas get this problem

So did they fix it? And did all 3 of you have Injen intakes?

I plan on taking it to the dealer after we get back from our cruise..
Old 08-10-2006, 09:18 AM

no.. im gona put my oem intake back in and show them.. thats the only way because they can be ****s..and will not take my word so i have to prove it to them.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:30 PM

do the tsbs still count after 36k?...i had my bracket replaced and the same thing happened again..i'm at 42k now.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by SmokeMax310
do the tsbs still count after 36k?...i had my bracket replaced and the same thing happened again..i'm at 42k now.
I assume you talk about the noise. If they tried to repair b4 the 36K mark and the same issue re-occur soon, they should repair it under warranty. I had the CAT replaced @37K mark due to the SES light which came on ~35,970 miles the 1st repair attempt.
If you only have the noise problem, I don't think it's worth it to haggle with the dealer. Just goto an autopart store to get a clamp and do it yourselves.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by MaxFan
I assume you talk about the noise. If they tried to repair b4 the 36K mark and the same issue re-occur soon, they should repair it under warranty. I had the CAT replaced @37K mark due to the SES light which came on ~35,970 miles the 1st repair attempt.
If you only have the noise problem, I don't think it's worth it to haggle with the dealer. Just goto an autopart store to get a clamp and do it yourselves.

What clamp are you talking about. I want to do it myself . I just need to know what to get and where to start. I've been learning about this car very fast.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Snobgoblin
What clamp are you talking about. I want to do it myself . I just need to know what to get and where to start. I've been learning about this car very fast.
The one that works like a tie-wrap, but fully adjustable w/a philip screwdriver. The same type may be used on large hoses under the hood. Jack up your car and look under where the infamous bracket is. There are a couple of thin steel plates sandwiching the pipe. It has 2 small clamps at each end which don't do their job well. You can buy one or two clamps. If buy one, just tie the middle up. That will solves the noise issue. There is another heatshield in the rear (I heard) but nobody has issue with it. In my case, I also got a loose CAT (noise+SES on), somehow a TSB asks for its replacement.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:11 AM

Yah, I get the same heat shield rattle when accelerating at very low speeds. It's been doing this for a while (since around 5K miles) and it makes the car sound sooooo good, like a 25-year-old K-car. It's great when leaving daytime parties and there's a crowd admiring the car. Thanks Nissan.
If I was Nissan, I would certainly have a recall on those brackets - that old car noise is going to turn allot of potential buyers away from an otherwise awesome car.

I've also been getting a high-pitched noise from 4K through 5K rpm just before the car shifts from 1st to 2nd gear. It's not too loud but I can hear it - even with the windows up. It sounds like brake squeal and I think it's the tranny or torque converter. Has anyone encountered this?
Old 08-18-2006, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by MaxFan
The one that works like a tie-wrap, but fully adjustable w/a philip screwdriver. The same type may be used on large hoses under the hood. Jack up your car and look under where the infamous bracket is. There are a couple of thin steel plates sandwiching the pipe. It has 2 small clamps at each end which don't do their job well. You can buy one or two clamps. If buy one, just tie the middle up. That will solves the noise issue. There is another heatshield in the rear (I heard) but nobody has issue with it. In my case, I also got a loose CAT (noise+SES on), somehow a TSB asks for its replacement.

Ok i looked under the hood today and saw that my heat sheild was cracked in on e spot..

I dont know what clamps your talking about.. I'm slow Could you show me a basic picture of the type of clamp i need to buy..

Thanks
Old 08-18-2006, 09:06 AM

Here is where my crack is..

How would i clamp it together.. I would go to advanced auto parts to by a clamp.. I'm still not sure wich one.. Then i put it in the middle of that thing???
Old 08-18-2006, 09:11 AM

Is this the type of clamp your talking about.. The hose clamp??

Old 08-18-2006, 09:53 AM

OK.. I get it now i think.. I looked under the car again and read what you said again.. I got confused... I need to do this..

Old 08-18-2006, 04:43 PM

Those type of clamps in your picture may have a limited range. This is the same type (but smaller) used by Nissan on the shield. Buy the one with teeth so the range can be a lot more. There are plenty at the store for ~$5.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:59 PM

Well i did it today.. It took a while because the sound wouldnt go away.. I had to do a temperary fix on it. The sound is gone for right now. Its hard to explain what i did. But i used the clamps you recomended.

At least i dont have that tacky grinding noise any more. The fix cost me $2.47 plus my labor. It wasnt hard labor. I just had to keep lifting the car up until i got it right.

Thanks for your help Maxfan.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Snobgoblin
Well i did it today.. It took a while because the sound wouldnt go away.. I had to do a temperary fix on it. The sound is gone for right now. Its hard to explain what i did. But i used the clamps you recomended.

At least i dont have that tacky grinding noise any more. The fix cost me $2.47 plus my labor. It wasnt hard labor. I just had to keep lifting the car up until i got it right.

Thanks for your help Maxfan.
Are U gonna replace that bracket ? I don't think it would do much to the noise, but it may eventually break completely off one day. Nissan asks for "better" screws when replacing it. I bet it would take awhile to change that bracket.
I got exaust rattling issue on my '97Max too. But the symptom was diferrent: only intermittently while idling, never while driving or reving. At the time I didn't know what. I paid my mechanic an hour labor to slap on a clamp or two he had laying around the shop. At least that problem wasn't surfaced until 90Kmiles and ~7 years on that car.