6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

engine valves??

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 11:19 AM
Roshan

engine valves??

I hear that the engine is knocking alot... and i belive that its the valves... anyone with same issue.. the car doesnt seem to sound like it did when drivin off the lot

Old 06-26-2005, 01:18 PM

Is it knocking or "pinging"? Pinging is caused by predetonation, and that is the valves you will hear being slapped back on their seats.

Since it is a 2004 and should still be under warranty, why don't you take it in and have it looked at?

A small amount of pinging won't harm the engine that much (unless you are under heavy load and turning a lot of RPMs) and may just be the knock sensor neding tightened down (assume the 04 is this way...my 96 was at least).

Also, have you tried running different gas in it?
Old 06-27-2005, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by darrinps
Is it knocking or "pinging"? Pinging is caused by predetonation, and that is the valves you will hear being slapped back on their seats.

Since it is a 2004 and should still be under warranty, why don't you take it in and have it looked at?

A small amount of pinging won't harm the engine that much (unless you are under heavy load and turning a lot of RPMs) and may just be the knock sensor neding tightened down (assume the 04 is this way...my 96 was at least).

Also, have you tried running different gas in it?
All good advice, but I bet the dealer will tell you to use higher octane gasoline. What you describe sounds like light engine knock to me. This thread probably belongs in the Fluids and Lubes site here at Maxima.org.

The first thing I would do to improve your situation is a "clean-up" using a good fuel injector cleaner like Chevron's Techron (follow the instructions on the bottle). This should emininate the deposits (particularly in a car as new as yours) that are likely causing the pre-ignition.

You also don't say what grade of gasoline you are using. If not Premium, switch to Premium. If you are bruning 91 octane, then try a gasoline with 93 octane. After all of that, the knock sensor should be checked by the dealer.

Finally, check out my comment on gasoline octane at this thread (it will tell you more than you want to know about gasoline octane):
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....6&page=1&pp=30
Old 06-27-2005, 09:14 AM
Roshan

i always use 93 octane.. nothing below it..its a pinging/knocking noise..and for fuel injector cleaner and octane booster..they fry ur plugs..

Old 06-27-2005, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Roshan
i always use 93 octane.. nothing below it..its a pinging/knocking noise..and for fuel injector cleaner and octane booster..they fry ur plugs..
I don't think all of them do, but if you are worried about this, then take the car in to the dealer and have them look at it.

Of course, you can always run the cleaner through, and then check/replace your plugs too.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Roshan
I would not use any so-called "octane booster." You got that one right.

I've successfully used Techron in my 04, do so every 7,500 miles, and follow the directions on the bottle for 20 gallon tanks. (I now have 32,000 miles on a two-year old Max.) I can say that my plugs are not "fried."

The only time I ever hear any engine knock is climbing the hill to my house west of town. If the outside temperature is over about 75 degrees F and the engine RPM falls below 2K RPM, there will be slight engine knock. I simply shift to a lower gear to bring up the RPMs and the knock goes away.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I only use Sunoco 94 in all my cars. I never get a ping out of them and I seem to get more milage from my tune ups. One way or another we all pay.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 04 and right know is making a very loud knocking noise in the left side of the engine, where the belts and/or chains are. Mine has 60k miles.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:48 PM

omg stop bringing back dead threads people!
Old 04-21-2009, 08:25 PM

Mine does it from few years but car runs just fine. It's just that pinging/tapping/clicking or whatever you call makes me feel like I am driving diesel engine. You name it what I have not tried except spark plugs, timing chain tensioners, and valve train lash adjustment.
I will be doing spark plug replacement work myself very soon. I do not get whistle noise so all I am thinking is it's not the time for my timing chain tensioner repair work yet. About valve train lash adjustment, I may do it together with timing chain tensioners repair if it fails on me (saying this cause many maxima owner went thru this repair bill.)