6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Should I become a Maxima owner?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 02:30 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by tbird2340
Ok.. Just did a carfax on the one that I am looking at. Note - I have not seen this vehicle in person yet.

...Now, I know how I hammered the car I had when I was renting it.. Do you think it is a bad idea to get a rental?

...Also, I will follow up on the accident. In the report is just states "Accident Reported Involving a front impact with another motor vehicle Minor or moderate damage reported"

Thoughts?...
My thought: I won't recommend anyone to buy any rental cars I have driven, especially while on vacation.

However, I have co-workers who bought former rental cars (tauruses and Camries though) for good price and happy with them.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:34 PM
SuPeRmOd

tbird2340,
I'm sure a lot is on your mind about if you want to get one, but don't you think actually test driving and getting in one will answer a lot of you questions like this? You can find a lot of info good/bad in the Stickies.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I would never buy a car from a rental agency....I have a 04' Max and had no problems....buy one new if you can or a used one from a reputable dealer with a good extended warranty....
Old 07-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Banned

if you really like the maxima, go ahead and get it
Mercedez cost alot more than maxima and can cause more problems.
My friends have MB, BMW, Acura and they sometimes complaint about
their cars while my dad has chevy and has no problems with it.

I think it's just your luck. I'd buy the car I like and get a extended
warranty if it's used....

good luck
Old 07-11-2005, 06:13 PM

I don't need to test drive one. I had one for a week (rental) and I absolutely love it. Before I read some reviews and some posts on this forum I was all for getting one. That's why I'm now asking these questions..

Now my major question is should I buy a rental. I mean, if it still has a warranty and everything is it taking a chance?

When I asked the dealership if it was a rental he said:

"Tom,

Good News! This was an Enterprise vehicle. We frequently purchase from them due to their great history of proper maintenance. Every unit that I personally have sold has been a great deal for my customers WITHOUT any service problems. "
Old 07-11-2005, 06:19 PM

Well, obviously you have to forget anything the dealership said...but I'm sure many rental cars are fine. If it were me, I would look around a bit more though. You can find a non-rental car for around that price if you wait a little and keep looking.

And for the record, my 2004 has 33k miles on it and drives flawlessly. Still, considering how many others have had issues, I would go for an '05 too if I were you I suppose.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:21 PM

Very hard to decide.. I want one so bad and I'm very bad at waiting when I get something in my head..

I almost will talk myself into it.. "Rentals can't be that bad. They still have a warranty. I'm sure they check they REAL good. ETC ETC"

ARGHH!! I hate when I get stuff into my head!
Old 07-11-2005, 07:02 PM

Don't Buy The Rental!
Old 07-11-2005, 07:53 PM

Yes, I figured I'd get the "Buy a Maxima" on this forum but I've also got some reasons why.

We are not buying new only because it makes no sense to. I can get an 04-05 with around 20,000 miles for around $20,000 or I can buy a new one at $28,000. Doesn't add up for me.
Thats why you came to this site!! ("Buy a Maxima".. some psychological thing)

But your doubts .. ure going to miss your truck???? have u seen the max adds?? (think gas prices and might as well enjoy the ride)

last ... you may not like this but ... after I saw the car for the first time, I just could not think of the idea of having a USED ONE!!.. but then it was a new model at the time (aug 2003)
Old 07-12-2005, 04:31 AM

Oh, I don't mind buying used at all. To me, a car with around 20,000 miles is new and I'm just not the sucker paying for it brand new off the lot..

I just want the new body style!
Old 07-12-2005, 08:07 AM

Go ahead and buy a max, it is a great car!! I have an 04 with 21K and I love it. There are some problems with some of the 04's, mine had the front struts replaced, rotors turned and the stereo replaced twice but I would still buy another one in a minute. The service department here in VA Beach, Virginia was great, they took care of everything. I like the large interior space, the POWER and the styling. Wait and see what the 06 model has to offer!!!!

Big Mike
Old 07-12-2005, 09:12 AM

I think they will get rid of the tooth on the grille for the '06, and add a little power.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do not buy a rental car!!!!!! Rest assure that the break in suggestions by Nissan were not followed. There is a reason car rental fleets get rid of their cars at or near 30K.
They have made enough money to cover the depreciation of the vehicle and then some. They get these cars at amazing deals obviously because they buy them by the thousand. They do the bare minimum to keep the cars running.I am shocked to see that they actually reported the accident. It must have been serious enough that they made an insurance claim.

Of course the dealer is gonna give you a BS reason why you should buy the car. He wants to make money. The car is only going to have a warranty for what...10K miles?
Are you comfortable with that? Who knows how bad the accident really was. It's not worth saving $1k-$2k for all these uncertainties. I would look around for something else.

If you buy the car you will be happy until problems start to creep up. Then you will get mad because the car is "junk." The maxima is a great vehicle overall. The 04's were full of problems. The 05's are much better.

Again, wait a month or so to see what the 06 yields.

If you want a good buy go get a malibu and drive the snot out of it. It won't look great or drive great, but it will be the best value for what you need right now. I hate to say this about a malibu...remember, you get what you pay for. I think paying a little extra is worth the peace of mind in the long run.

Look at a buick too. My mom bought a buick and I have to say it's a solid car for the last 12 years. Look at an 04 or 05 lesabre. Best value in that car for sure and safe too for the kids. It'll look ugly and drive like an old womans car...it's a buick, but you won't ever complain about anything with the engine. the 3800 series engine has got to be one of GM's best engines.

Again, maxima's are really nice sport sedans. You are paying for performance and Looks. Don't risk issues with a rental. You want peace of mind. Just wait till the 06 comes out and see what's up then. You can wait a month, no? I'm done now.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello:

Funny to read your story is like "de"ja vu" for my ears. I traded my 03 Silverado SS for my 05 maxima se 6spd and I also have 2 kids. The space in the back seat is unbelivable for a car that size. The car is very responsive even in 5th gear. The other thing that you have to look at is gas prices, I was only getting like 14 to 16 MPG in my SS, with a monthly gas bill of over $500.00. The only thing that I have to get used to is the torque steer. Anyways I say go for it, And if you need to haul something check your family members somebody has to have a truck if not UHAUL is always there.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:41 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Say NO to buying a rental, the people who rent them most definitely abused it, the roads in PA su%k so the suspension will probably need work, last, the minimum wage moron employees who maintain the cars can't even clean them right, let alone do any preventative maintenance. If you do get it, good luck, however don't say we didn't warn you...
Old 07-12-2005, 09:46 AM

if this rental was used by my buddy who redlined every shift in the rental car we had (and it was an auto, lol), id say it has probably lost atleast half its life. if you can wait, like everyone else said then get an 05 in a month or two.

oh and where is poland?
Old 07-12-2005, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
if this rental was used by my buddy who redlined every shift in the rental car we had (and it was an auto, lol), id say it has probably lost atleast half its life. if you can wait, like everyone else said then get an 05 in a month or two.

oh and where is poland?
Poland is about 3 hours from you.

I guess the concensus is to stay away from this rental car that I was looking at.

That kind of sucks because I want one really bad and there aren't may for sale..

I want to spend right around $20,000 for an 04-05 with around 20,000 miles. So far I found two dealers that would give me that price. This one (which is a rental) and another that is a 6 spd. Well the boss (wife) won't allow me to get manual because she "hates" it so that blows royally as well...

Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:45 AM

are you checking autotrader?

http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ca...p=y&cardist=36

http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ca...p=y&cardist=54

heres a good one but its 60 miles from your zip.
http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ca...p=y&cardist=59

also my dad owns a 03 altima.....its a 4dr that you can find with the same engine, i havent driven the 6th gen max, but i have driven the 03 altima and it packs a punch and is fun to drive. maybe look into those as well

good luck.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:08 PM

are you checking autotrader?
About every ten minutes!!

Dealer won't budge on the price. He smokes crack and said he paid $25,000 for it on trade. When I asked him why he was selling it for $22,500 and losing money on it he said to call his boss or some crap.. Didn't bother.

Has too many miles (40,000) for my liking (at least to be buying right now). I don't think that's a lot to have in general.

heres a good one but its 60 miles from your zip.
http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ca...p=y&cardist=59
Yea, that one I would LOVE to have but my wife won't allow me to purchase a manual car since she will be driving it too.

also my dad owns a 03 altima.....its a 4dr that you can find with the same engine, i havent driven the 6th gen max, but i have driven the 03 altima and it packs a punch and is fun to drive. maybe look into those as well
good luck.
I want the new body style.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-12-2005, 12:12 PM

ill call the dealer and tellhim ive got [you name price here] in hand and see what he says......what ya think?
Old 07-12-2005, 12:24 PM

EDIT -

Here is the email exchange between us. I emailed him and told him I had $20,000 to spend and let me know if he could come down. Here is the exchange (his reply first):
---
Sorry, but NADA Trade in on this car is $25,000. !

Thanks, Ted's Auto Sales Inc. ------ 330-875-9401
---

---
Ted, what NADA book are you looking at?? Trade in is $21,550..
---

---
Our buyer, Kraig, told me it was $25,000. feel free to give him call !
---

---
So your telling me you paid $25,000 to get this car on trade and your selling it for $22,500?
---

Then he told me to call Kraig again...
Old 07-12-2005, 12:38 PM

wow!

here is my convo with him:

hi...bla bla calling bout maxima i saw. bla bla

me: was wondering if youd come down just a tad on the price since it has 31k miles and is only a year old"
him: nope
me: well it does have....
him(cuts in): nope
me: wel...
him: alrighty.....
click...dialtone

he hung up on me.. is this how you sell cars? ill keep an eye out for you man. sorry
Old 07-12-2005, 12:55 PM

WOW!! Unreal.. I'm actually speechless..

Jerkoff..

Thanks a lot for trying.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:09 PM

I would buy used and get the extended warranty 100,000mile/7year for around $1200. You can get this at any time before 36000 miles. I believe it cost more the longer you wait. The $1200 was with about 14000 miles. Shop the warranty to different dealers as the price varies. Have fun!
Old 07-12-2005, 05:23 PM

I have an 05 SE with only 1200 miles on it, so far I love it. I plan on doing all the major and minor mods..I say go for it, I paid just under sticker for mines list for 34k, purchased at 30k...
Old 07-12-2005, 07:05 PM

Well i purchased my max from enterprise car sales.. and apart from the struts, she runs as good as new... i did have her pushed of the rental division to the sales with a few calls at 15K miles... but iv have had no problems what so ever mechanicly or anything else, her carfax is as clean as brand new car... any issues i had (being as picky as i am - chrome trim, front grille, shimmy...) were resolved and replaced at the dealers under warranty... just because its a rental doesnt mean shes had her **** kicked into her (remember they do come with rev limiters so its not that easy to mess around with).
Old 07-12-2005, 07:18 PM

HzMajesty, do you work for the dealer?

EVERYONE says avoid them like the plague but you.. I had my mind 99% made up to not get it just for the fact it was a rental but now you come and throw in the doubt again!

So you say your Maxima as a rental? What do you mean by "I did have her pushed of the rental division to the sales with a few calls at 15K miles??
Old 07-12-2005, 07:22 PM

LOOOL

sorry for messin with ur mind bro...
well.. no i dont work for any dealers... but im just saying that mine was a rental and has 0 defects!
it was kinda hard getting her with only 15K miles on it so i had a little help...
Old 07-12-2005, 07:51 PM

Believe me, I know how hard it is to wait when you get something in your head that you have to have. But considering how huge of a purchase this is (I'm assuming you're not a rich man) you really have to try and be patient. This is a rental car that you know has been involved in some sort of accident. Also, considering the way their sales staff sounds there's no way I would buy that car. Find a dealer that at least pretends to want to make you happy. People are trading in all the time...your car will come.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by 04FrostSL
Believe me, I know how hard it is to wait when you get something in your head that you have to have. But considering how huge of a purchase this is (I'm assuming you're not a rich man) you really have to try and be patient. This is a rental car that you know has been involved in some sort of accident. Also, considering the way their sales staff sounds there's no way I would buy that car. Find a dealer that at least pretends to want to make you happy. People are trading in all the time...your car will come.
very true... that accident issue is a BIG question mark!
Old 07-12-2005, 08:27 PM

People like to rent the model of a car they're thinking of buying. They keep it for a weekend and drive the snot out of it then turn it in Monday morning. Chances are this car had no decent break in period and may have been hammered from the day it hit the rental lot. Given the attitude of the salesman and the "accident" in the car's history, I think I would pass on this one and look for a better car.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:41 AM

Yea, I will be passing... My quest for a Maxima shall continue!!!
Old 07-14-2005, 06:40 AM

It is unreal what some dealers are trying to get for used Maxima's!!! This one dealer has a 2004 SE with 30,000 miles and has a price of $27,990!!! WTH are they thinking!??!
Old 07-14-2005, 07:19 AM
Banned

It is unreal what some dealers are trying to get for used Maxima's!!! This one dealer has a 2004 SE with 30,000 miles and has a price of $27,990!!! WTH are they thinking!??!
lol, i also get mad when i see those dealers with unreal price tags.

my dad called me last night and asked me if i want new pathfinder. I asked
why, and he said he got a letter from the dealer where i bought my max.
and it said they need 04 maximas since many ppl looking for used maximas,
and it says if i trade in my 04 maxima, they'll give great deals on the new cars. so my dad wants me to get the new pathfinder. lol

I asked my dad if he's really believing what they said in the letter.
i think he really is....lol
Old 07-14-2005, 08:04 AM

Does your dad drive your ride or something??
Old 07-21-2005, 03:28 PM
wsu

patience...

Originally Posted by 04FrostSL
Good advice here. There are always more cars, more deals. Getting into a rush only puts you at a disadvantage. Salespeople are very keen at measuring people up who are in an urgent mode and may be eager to take advantage of you.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:17 PM

yes you should
Old 07-21-2005, 05:50 PM

Well... little bit off topic here but for $20,000 you can look into new Camry V6.

My 05 Max feels a bit quieter and tad bit bulky than my girl's 04 Camry V6. But Camry feels smoother. Maybe it's because Max SE has higher gearing ratio on 1st and 2nd gear. RPM climbs up rather quick. Also with Camry, you'll be able to blend in perfectly.

But, Maxima looks 1,000,000 times cooler & luxurious than Camry. I got my onyx '05 SE for $25,800 before fees. I dont think there's a better car for that money. Keep searching and you shall find.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:10 PM

I went thru a few issues, and was very mad at Nissan, but the dealer worked long and hard and made everything right with me. I think you'll love one...

Plenty used around here, 04's and 05's...most are still going for $23K and up though
Old 08-16-2005, 04:43 AM

Ok, look up at post 61. Well "Ted's Auto Sales" still has this vehicle for sale. I decided to shoot my offer to them again via email and after a couple of replies "Ted is not here, the best thing to do would be to call him" I finally got an e mail with some substance. Here is what they said:

"Tom,
A Nissan Franchised dealers service department should be able to print you out a build sheet showing everything on this car, and they would be the people to check with on a Factory extended warranty, we have a few aftermarket warrantys available running between just a few hundred for a very limited one up to a couple thousand dollars for one with "High Tech" and a Hundred thousand miles!

You offer seems on the light side, we already have it priced plenty low in order to get potential buyers interest, Ted said $20,000 ain't gonna do it, your best bet would be to give him a call directly, explain what you would expect as far as delivery, extras, method of payment and see if you could come to a "Meeting of the Minds"! Or better yet, stop by the lot look at the car and show him the "Green"! If you guys can't get together we also have an 03 Se Model for $17,900.!

Thanks, Ted's Auto Sales Inc. -------- 330-875-9401"

Now does this sound like he would take $20,000? To me it sorta does... Here's my concern.. The car is a 2004 SL with 31,025 miles.. With only 5,000 miles left in the factory warranty I'm hessitant to buy because of all the problems I read about here.

Sure I can spend another $1,200 for a warranty but that's a lot of money. If I hadn't read all these issues I wouldn't hessitate in buying a car with that many miles.

What do y'all think?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Should I become a Maxima owner?