6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

5 SPD Automatic Transmission ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 03:47 AM

5 SPD Automatic Transmission ??

Just purchased an 05 SE automatic transmission. I have 300 miles on it currently. I am driving very moderately until I hit the 1200 mile break in period, I have not exceeded 4000 rpm but my gas mileage has been between 18 and 20 mpg primarily city driving. It also seems that the transmission is always shifting, I could be driving around 45 - 50 and it will stay in a higher gear then it might change even though I have not accelerated or decreased speed. If anyone has had similar issues please let me know. Should I have the dealer look at it? BTW I purchased the car last Friday and took it back on Monday for what I thought was vibration in the steering but most noticable during breaking so they balanced the front wheels and the vibration is very low now but I still feel it under braking so on Thursday I plan on taking it back to have them check the rotors. I hope its not the dreaded shimmy!!!

TIA.............
Old 07-13-2005, 04:42 AM
SuPeRmOd

45 is where 4th and 5th gears meet. whenever i decide to drive that speed for a few miles, i use manual and keep it in 4th. the system is so advanced, trying to keep it at the best gear, this tends to happen.
city MPG is supposed to be around 20.
vibe. during braking means bad rotors usually.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:52 AM

I wouldn't trust it. I thought I had the same problem in my original '05 so I took it back and told them (the finance manager) that my wife didn't like the color, so they took it back and gave me another max with no questions asked. The one I have now drives perfectly. If you go that route, don't put too many more miles on that car. If you financed your car, more than likely the paperwork hasn't gone anywhere so giving you another car and changing the paperwork to a different VIN shouldn't be a problem for the dealer. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:43 PM

I believe the problem is with the brakes, bad rotors for the shake...As for the shift change with the trans, this is normal, it will go away after the break in period...I noticed the same with my 05, currently has 1300miles on it,
Old 07-13-2005, 03:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rays01se
I thought I had the same problem in my original '05 so I took it back and told them (the finance manager) that my wife didn't like the color, so they took it back and gave me another max with no questions asked.
and they didn't charge you anything? wow!
till now, I thought you have to pay some money even if you return the
car a day later.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:01 PM

Well it goes in tomorrow so hopefully they will resolve the issues. When I pick it up tomorrow evening I will drive it with the service manager to make sure all things are done to my satisfaction. I'll keep you posted...
Old 07-14-2005, 07:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I purchased my 05 max in Beg of June i have about 2100 miles on it mixed. I had the same issues with the trans and gas mpg. After about 1200 miles i really noticed the avg mpg increasing. I live in Northern VA and even on the highway its like driving in the city and im getting around 21mpg on avg. So it will work out. The Trans is just really good always keeping you in the best gear, but like said in above post just put your car in shift mode when your in that speed range. No idea about your breaking, most def give the dealer hell about it.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:01 PM

I have the 4-sp, so not much help here. It stays in one gear what seems like almost forever, hahaha
Old 07-15-2005, 08:28 PM
Banned

Im just wondering how rotors can account for shimmy...you guys arre all talking about shimmy when brakeing I assume?
Old 07-16-2005, 07:58 AM

Well there were two different issues, one was vibration under braking conditions on the highway and vibration in the steering wheel around 60 mph.

They turned the rotors and the vibration under braking is gone. I still feel slight vibration around 60 mph but of course they tell me that low profile tires give you that feel but I think that's garbage, I traded in a 540i with sport suspension with the same size tires so I know how a firm riding car should feel. They gave me new wheels and tires, took it off a new maxima on the lot, so probably someone will get my last set of tires and rims, feel sorry for them. I also drove two other 05 SE and I still felt some vibration around 60 mph but the steering felt tighter which makes me believe my 05 with 400 miles on it doesn't have the same steering rack??? Not sure but I don't think its a figment of my imagination.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:09 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by HPSE
Well there were two different issues, one was vibration under braking conditions on the highway and vibration in the steering wheel around 60 mph.

They turned the rotors and the vibration under braking is gone. I still feel slight vibration around 60 mph but of course they tell me that low profile tires give you that feel but I think that's garbage, I traded in a 540i with sport suspension with the same size tires so I know how a firm riding car should feel. They gave me new wheels and tires, took it off a new maxima on the lot, so probably someone will get my last set of tires and rims, feel sorry for them. I also drove two other 05 SE and I still felt some vibration around 60 mph but the steering felt tighter which makes me believe my 05 with 400 miles on it doesn't have the same steering rack??? Not sure but I don't think its a figment of my imagination.
Turning rotors do not completely diminished the shakes, I had the same issue with my Pathfinder. I put new rotors on and the vibe was gone.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:58 AM

While on the dicsussion of the transmission... My tranny feels like the swictching of gears from 2-3-4-5 is very rough, and almost puts a jump/lurch in the car. Is this normal for all maximas? I drive a TL, and that shifts very smoothly. I also have a 2002 max, which shifts smoothly too. Also, this tranny downshifts a lot, and cant seem to make up its mind on what gear to be in when I go down a hill, or slow down, then accelerate around a turn. Just asking for your opinions on if I should bother bringing it up with the dealer... The car is going in on Monday anyway for some other things. THanks... OH SORRY... ITS a 2004 AT SE.. 5 SP.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:06 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

that lurch can be caused by driving to slow when shifting... if you get off the gas when its shifting or drive to slow, the car will wanna force the shift and give you that jump..

I would drive at a quick pace until it gets to the 4th or 5th gear, once there slow down.. the car will try and force the gears since its designed to save gas..

I would invest in the ground kit.. this will help with shifting smoothly..
Old 07-17-2005, 08:13 AM

So your saying all of the maximas have the same rough shifting? Going slow in my 02, doesnt cause rough shifting?
Old 07-17-2005, 08:21 AM

don't know about 5th gens...

I get this here and there.. I notice when I let go of the gas or I'm cruising along or so.. if you are barely on the rpms that require a shift, the car will shift, but since the speed is not matching the shift the next gear will tend to boost the car alittle (jump, lurch). its not a harsh shift of the tranny or theres nothing wrong with the machanical of the tranny at all, its just right rpm wrong speeds..
Old 07-17-2005, 08:22 AM

I get ya, and the downshifting down the hills is normal too... Im guessing to save brakes?
Old 07-17-2005, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dblock905
I get ya, and the downshifting down the hills is normal too... Im guessing to save brakes?
(on a auto)
I haven't noticed my car downshifting while going down hill, cause down hill tends to pick speed up and raise the rpms alittle so downshifting don't sound right..

(manualmatic)
I do switch to the manualmatic and down shift that way to save brakes, yes..

EDIT: if you get your rpms low enough going down hill by braking it will downshift that way..
Old 07-17-2005, 10:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HPSE

Allright, so the 05's are not completely free of this issue. To tell ya the truth I never noticed it on my 04 till I changed the tires for the first time. I drove on some rough offroad terrain the other day (I had to) I proceeded very slowly and If I went a little faster the wheel shaked like a mother! Its not the balance...It is something with how the steering was tuned. I remember going on way rougher roafs with my old taurus and the steering didnt move at all. I think nissan engineers tested this car on glass surfaces and said...ok now its Perrrrrfect!
Old 07-17-2005, 11:35 PM

I would say Dont Use the manumatic- it just causes tranny problems. I dont use it on my 05 max and I dont have this issue, I had major probelms with my 04 max_(tranny isues) that caused me to have a major accident.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:25 AM

So is it bad to use the manumatic shift, is anyone else having problems that uses the manumatic.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have no real issues with the tranny yet but it does shif alot. I read the manual and the shift points are correct. It took me some time to get used to it. As for shifting the auto tranny I feel it's a waste of time and effort because of the lag time between shifts. It's not a ture street/strip shift. I have a street/strip valve body in my other car and it chirps all the gears so this seems weak to me. If you want to shif it and if they offer a street/strip valve body I would get it for that positive shift feeling. I find the tiptronic useful on the highway when I want to pass with alot of power. Depending on my speed I drop it a gear or 2 and punch it. I have almost 7k and no shimmy.